Rumor UPDATED: Monorail Hours Cut

George Lucas on a Bench

WDW Pro do you really think it’s Star Wars? Because I think it may be parks that’s the problem. I seriously wonder if we have reached the tipping point with price hikes, nickel and diming and cutbacks (hours and entertainment.). For the first time in forever there has been no discounts made available for the fall, and DL blocked out all their AP, so those crowds of “value seaking guests” have just not booked trips because they don’t see the value in a full price visit.

Perfect storm of everything?

drizgirl

WDW Pro do you really think it’s Star Wars? Because I think it may be parks that’s the problem. I seriously wonder if we have reached the tipping point with price hikes, nickel and diming and cutbacks (hours and entertainment.). For the first time in forever there has been no discounts made available for the fall, and DL blocked out all their AP, so those crowds of “value seaking guests” have just not booked trips because they don’t see the value in a full price visit.
Fall discounts for DLR aren't always announced by now. They did just announce some for late summer. Give it a bit. There could be some for fall still.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney thought Star Wars was a license to print money. Over the last few years they have significantly raised prices on tickets, food, and parking. That’s got to be part of the equation....

Something I wasn’t as aware of until recently is how Disney built a Star Wars land that the general public doesn’t want? I honestly just assumed a Star Wars land would be the Star Wars I was familiar with. Darth Vader, Yoda, r2d2....

shambolicdefending

Perfect storm of everything?

"Multivariate causality" is the official economics term, I believe. It's the effect found in most major successes and failures.

drizgirl

Disney thought Star Wars was a license to print money. Over the last few years they have significantly raised prices on tickets, food, and parking. That’s got to be part of the equation....

Something I wasn’t as aware of until recently is how Disney built a Star Wars land that the general public doesn’t want? I honestly just assumed a Star Wars land would be the Star Wars I was familiar with. Darth Vader, Yoda, r2d2....
My enthusiasm for it went right out the window quite some time ago when I first heard that tidbit. Disney traffics in nostalgia. I have zero nostalgia for the newer movies. So I'm out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe once. I don’t think they ve every shut it down for this many hours throughout the day. That’s why they be lyin.
I'll have to find it, but they did it last summer too. I don't remember the exact dates or exact times but it was for a large portion of the afternoon too from what I recall.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just remember, the guy who botched the Mark VII, told Bob Gurr to pound sand and turned them into sweat boxes was given a promotion and is now in charge of that exciting new Red Logo Superhero Land featuring Spider-Man Midway Mania!.
There is no defending that, it was a stupid design not to include AC units on the Mark VII.

So why can't they retrofit it now to have AC units? I mean its not like we're getting a Mark VIII or Mark IX anytime soon at DLR.

lazyboy97o

There is no defending that, it was a stupid design not to include AC units on the Mark VII.

So why can't they retrofit it now to have AC units? I mean its not like we're getting a Mark VIII anytime soon at DLR.
The Disneyland Monorail has never had air conditioning. There is not much space available to place the equipment. The Mark VII design didn’t provide for the ventilation of previous design (not to mention all of the issues of being able to navigate the beamway).

smile

Just remember, the guy who botched the Mark VII, told Bob Gurr to pound sand and turned them into sweat boxes was given a promotion and is now in charge of that exciting new Red Logo Superhero Land featuring Spider-Man Midway Mania!.

see? is for consistency

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Disneyland Monorail has never had air conditioning. There is not much space available to place the equipment. The Mark VII design didn’t provide for the ventilation of previous design (not to mention all of the issues of being able to navigate the beamway).
Ok, I get they didn't have it previously. But my question is why can't it be retrofitted with a roof top AC unit like most modern rail cars. I mean is there really a big clearance issue in places along the track that they couldn't put an AC unit on the roof?

lazyboy97o

Ok, I get they didn't have it previously. But my question is why can't it be retrofitted with a roof top AC unit like most modern rail cars. I mean is there really a big clearance issue in places along the track that they couldn't put an AC unit on the roof?
It’s not just the vertical clearances. The equipment is heavy and the old Mark V bodies likely could not support the weight. They’re also power intensive, so there is the question of whether the beamway provides enough power.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s not just the vertical clearances. The equipment is heavy and the old Mark V bodies likely could not support the weight. They’re also power intensive, so there is the question of whether the beamway provides enough power.
Come on, just go to Home Depot and buy a unit and cut a hole in ceiling and there you have it, no more power needed than your average Orange County home....

All kidding aside, I get it. I was just wondering if they really looked into it or not. If they're going to keep around this model forever, which it appears they are, they might as well do something about it. Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom