Update on monorail Teal and Lime

Rinx

OK, but can anybody tell me what significance it has other then the CM knowing what train they are supposed to be in or dispatch knowing which train is where? I still don't understand why I should care.

I worked as a monorail CM a few years ago. Guests should absolutely care what color monorail they ride/rode in. I've encountered children left on the monorail and a plethora of personal belongings left behind. Many matters were solved quickly because some guests knew which color monorail they were on so it was easy to radio and get the train checked. However, it baffled me how many guests were completely oblivious to what train they rode, and some even sayed they didn't know there were different colors. Then they got mad that it took so long to check EVERY train on that loop (if the guest knew which track they rode which most did not either). If only everyone took their brain cells with them on vacation, everyone would have an easier, more enjoyable time.

Goofyernmost

I worked as a monorail CM a few years ago. Guests should absolutely care what color monorail they ride/rode in. I've encountered children left on the monorail and a plethora of personal belongings left behind. Many matters were solved quickly because some guests knew which color monorail they were on so it was easy to radio and get the train checked. However, it baffled me how many guests were completely oblivious to what train they rode, and some even sayed they didn't know there were different colors. Then they got mad that it took so long to check EVERY train on that loop (if the guest knew which track they rode which most did not either). If only everyone took their brain cells with them on vacation, everyone would have an easier, more enjoyable time.
So it would be helpful if anyone stupid and/or vacant enough to leave their child on the monorail, should be expected to remember what color the monorail is? If you can remember that, why can't you remember to bring your kid or your belongings with you?

montyz81

Here is proof that I love the monorails:
IMG_0191.JPG

CDavid

They don't just sit there not moving and run into each other, but, my point is that what happened does not in any way, shape or form involve any Guest possibilities and therefore are not relevant to anyone other then those directly involved in the incident. It wouldn't be a fully loaded train that time of night and the circumstances are not likely to repeat themselves. So all we needed to know is not to hide away on a parked train overnight and we will never be involved in that accident, ever

Aside from that, even without Disney's openness to detail, common sense would lead us to operator error and that is a risk 24/7 no matter where you are. This is a non-issue. There are no guaranteed safeguards for human error. We are all human, we will all continue to unintentionally error. In a perfect world we can expect everyone and everything to work exactly as planned. Sadly, we are a long way away from being a perfect world

This was my point, that an accident such as this could (in theory) have happened anytime day or night. It is indeed always a risk, but I had thought you were implying the accident could not have occurred while guests were present (in the top quotation above). That is not to make it a bigger deal that it was or to suggest Disney should be publicly raked over the coals, but any safety issue is an important matter and should never be regarded as a non-issue. If brakes can fail (as reported) or human error can cause an incident anytime, then it most certainly does (potentially) involve "guest possibilities".

Yes, Mom! Thanks for correcting our terrible indiscretion. Now I need to find someplace to discuss things. Where could that be?

Someone needs to invent some sort of online discussion forum, with a specific topic of The Walt Disney Company, where we can talk about all things Disney in such excruciating detail people will shake their heads and think we're nuts. :)

So it would be helpful if anyone stupid and/or vacant enough to leave their child on the monorail, should be expected to remember what color the monorail is? If you can remember that, why can't you remember to bring your kid or your belongings with you?

In fairness, we've all foolishly left something behind somewhere at some point in our lives. This is more likely, perhaps, when we are distracted or our interest lies elsewhere - and for most of us, the Walt Disney World resort is quite a distraction. Easy to leave a bag or something behind. Children are another matter altogether, but they can become separated in a large crowd.

Doesn't mean we are stupid or 'vacant', but that we're just not paying attention.

asianway

Um ... I think I missed this myself. What/when did this happen?
Theres a whole thread where various people made claims that it was fiction.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/work-tractor-collides-with-monorail-lime.881226/

Quoting:

On the morning of Saturday March 8 around 4:00 AM Monorail Lime was parked at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) on the Express beam for the night (stay out train) when it was struck by Work Tractor 1 at Cab 1, the cab towards the Contempory. The rumor is that the maintenance workers claim the brakes failed and it was unable to stop while coming down the hill from the Contemporary. Lime has been hidden in the paint shop but the rumors have the damage as substantial. The two workers on the tractor were uninjured and the train was unoccupied and operations was not in control of the system. With Teal being torn apart to be fitted with the new monorail control system this leaves Walt Disney World with only 10 trains.

Goofyernmost

This was my point, that an accident such as this could (in theory) have happened anytime day or night. It is indeed always a risk, but I had thought you were implying the accident could not have occurred while guests were present (in the top quotation above). That is not to make it a bigger deal that it was or to suggest Disney should be publicly raked over the coals, but any safety issue is an important matter and should never be regarded as a non-issue. If brakes can fail (as reported) or human error can cause an incident anytime, then it most certainly does (potentially) involve "guest possibilities".

In fairness, we've all foolishly left something behind somewhere at some point in our lives. This is more likely, perhaps, when we are distracted or our interest lies elsewhere - and for most of us, the Walt Disney World resort is quite a distraction. Easy to leave a bag or something behind. Children are another matter altogether, but they can become separated in a large crowd.

Doesn't mean we are stupid or 'vacant', but that we're just not paying attention.
Two things, then we are done with this discussion, at least on my part.

When I said non-issue, I didn't mean that things like that weren't important. What was meant was that it wasn't an issue for us, at this point. No one has more to lose by an accident like that happening when guests are involved then Disney. They actions are sometimes hard to understand, but they have a herd of lawyers that would be wetting their pants over an incident like this. Even if the top executives say no, they would be overruled. I don't think that is what happened and I don't think that the degree of possible reproduction of that accident during park hours are almost impossible. Can they happen, sure, but different shifts act differently based on the degree of possibility and extremely negative results.

The "stupid and vacant" part of the post was focused on someone leaving their child behind not a bag of stuff. And it still stands. If someone is so out of it that they would actually accidentally leave their child behind on a train, stupid and vacant doesn't even begin to cover it. I have left many things, objects behind over the years. I raised two children over a period of 20 years and never once did it escape my mind that they were with me. I can't even think of a single excuse for that type of irresponsibility. At any rate, if they are capable of forgetting that they brought a child with them, I don't see why they would be expected to be alert enough to remember what color the stripe was on the train. And if someone were alert enough to think, "I should note the color of the train in case I leave my kid on it" are not likely to forget their children.

nace888

I know it's an old topic, but a few questions and answers.

The Monorails are not only identified by color, but use color to dispatch, identify problems, identify drivers, and should someone leave stuff on a train (if they caught the color) they can easily find it. Not everyone will remember colors, but that's why if I ever drove a monorail, I'd announce in a personal spiel that they are on Monorail (color) riding with their Monorail Pilot (name). If I were allowed to do it, that's what I would do, since it's (to me) professional, and makes the experience enjoyable. I also want to say that the colors were to make the trains look "more friendly" in a sense that they're not so bland. I mean would you like seeing a solid white train pulling into the station? While White is a very clean and crisp color, it also seems a little bland to me... :S I mean just look at how Teal and Peach looked before release.

monorail_peach_no_designation.jpg

I am curious though, is there any update on the two trains? I heard Teal was testing, has anyone seen it? I also heard that Lime MAY be up sooner, since Disney was to have the technology readily available, having had to make two cabs for Peach, and rewire it all, giving Disney the molds again... Is it also true that all trains will be expecting a repaint soon? I don't remember, but I wanna say I heard it somewhere...

Mike730

I know it's an old topic, but a few questions and answers.

The Monorails are not only identified by color, but use color to dispatch, identify problems, identify drivers, and should someone leave stuff on a train (if they caught the color) they can easily find it. Not everyone will remember colors, but that's why if I ever drove a monorail, I'd announce in a personal spiel that they are on Monorail (color) riding with their Monorail Pilot (name). If I were allowed to do it, that's what I would do, since it's (to me) professional, and makes the experience enjoyable. I also want to say that the colors were to make the trains look "more friendly" in a sense that they're not so bland. I mean would you like seeing a solid white train pulling into the station? While White is a very clean and crisp color, it also seems a little bland to me... :S I mean just look at how Teal and Peach looked before release.

View attachment 59480

I am curious though, is there any update on the two trains? I heard Teal was testing, has anyone seen it? I also heard that Lime MAY be up sooner, since Disney was to have the technology readily available, having had to make two cabs for Peach, and rewire it all, giving Disney the molds again... Is it also true that all trains will be expecting a repaint soon? I don't remember, but I wanna say I heard it somewhere...
I'm 98% sure I saw teal running last week.

nace888

Lime is still without a cab 1 and Teal is nowhere near ready. The last time they tried to move Teal it blew out the breakers for its beam.

How long ago was that? Coulda sworn I saw somewhere people saying Teal was moving under it's own power. Might be wrong!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom