Upcoming/Rumored Projects

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The thing is, building E-tickets still results in sustained attendance growth. Disney had a trend of new E-tickets every 3.75 years to grow attendance at the parks. That seems to have shifted to larger land expansions every 4-5 years. It's hard to tell at this point whether it's a true shift in philosophy or a belief that substantial growth is no longer possible.

This is an interesting point. Does Disney believe that attendance growth has maxed out, or at least reached a point of diminishing returns?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The thing is, building E-tickets still results in sustained attendance growth. Disney had a trend of new E-tickets every 3.75 years to grow attendance at the parks. That seems to have shifted to larger land expansions every 4-5 years. It's hard to tell at this point whether it's a true shift in philosophy or a belief that substantial growth is no longer possible.

Conversely, Universal's build cycle has obviously been more agressive of late (after years of standing pat)

December 23: Disaster! (Upgrade over Earthquake)

May 15: The Simpsons Ride (Upgrade over Back to the Future)

August 19: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (New Attraction)

June 18: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (New Attraction)

June 9: Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (Upgrade over Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast)

May/June: Transformers The Ride 3-D (New Attraction)

2014/2015
Wizarding World of Harry Potter Phase 2 (2+ New Attractions, Upgrade over Jaws)

For Disney fans, this is discouraging simply because for every year except 2011 (and possibly 2014 depending on construction times), Universal has opened a new D/E ticket, whether it be an upgrade or a new attraction. Comparatively, Disney's build cycle looks like this:

May 5: Soarin' (New Attraction, Significant upgrade over Food Rocks)
May 5: Lights, Motors, Action (New show, upgrade over Residential Street)

January 26: Expedition Everest (New Attraction)

May 31: Toy Story Midway Mania (Upgrade over Who Wants to be a Millionaire)

May 20: Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Upgrade over Star Tours)

October 12: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid (New Attraction, upgrade over 20K Leagues Under the Sea)

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

2016/2017
World of Avatar

When the quantity and quality of attractions is compared, and the aggressiveness of the building is assessed, Disney is significantly behind. Since Expedition Everest opened, Universal has opened 6 of the next 9 attractions across the two parks (counting Transformers later this year). What's even more telling is how these 9 attractions stack up against each other.

Having said all that, Carsland as we know it isn't the answer. As awesome as Carsland is, it's simply not the answer in Florida. The Monster's Inc Coaster would be a good start, The Project Morpho simulator and boat ride could also be solid answers. The biggest thing though is that Disney needs to build things that guests haven't seen before.

Great post. It should also be noted that with twice as many theme parks, you'd expect WDW to have roughly twice as many things on the list. The parks of WDW really lack when "attraction density" is examined, especially the often mentioned DAK and DHS.

RSoxNo1

Great post. It should also be noted that with twice as many theme parks, you'd expect WDW to have roughly twice as many things on the list. The parks of WDW really lack when "attraction density" is examined, especially the often mentioned DAK and DHS.

Universal definitely had to play catch up starting in 2006. They haven't passed any Disney park in attendance, but I've gone on record saying I think this is possible once Phase 2 of Potter opens.

We should probably update/add in that mystery project for Epcot opening in 2015 as well to the list.

Considering how vague that rumor is, I definitely wouldn't consider it valid without more information.

Genie of the Lamp

Considering how vague that rumor is, I definitely wouldn't consider it valid without more information.

The thing is though Jerry Rees stated he is working on the mystery project for EPCOT scheduled to open in 2015. If you look at that thread and listen to the podcast I linked there (on pg.6), he definitely confirmed that he met with Disney/TDO about this and that they are going to start development on this project very soon (once Mystic Manor opens). You're right, we need more info, but he won't and can't give it until they give him permission to do so. That's why we must consider it a rumor, but I won't lose sleep over it if it ain't updated.

djlaosc

Exactly, if our future looked a bit more like...

2012: Fantasyland Expansion (MK), Test Track 2.0 (E)
2013: Princess Meet and Greet (MK), Start of DHS Makeover/Monsters Inc. Door Coaster (DHS), Festival of the Lion King Relocation (DAK)
2014: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (MK), Rhine River Cruse (E)
2015: Beauty & The Beast Show Replacement (DHS), North America/New Camp Minnie-Mickey (DAK)
2016: Tomorrowland Refurbishment Started/Stitch's Great Escape Replacement (MK), Imagination 4.0 (E)
2017: Little Mermaid Show Replacement (DHS), Mysterious Island (DAK)
2018: Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Replacement (MK), New Japan Attraction (one of Bullet Train Simulator/Mt Fuji/etc.)
2019: Radiator Springs Racers (DHS), South America (DAK)
2020: Tomorrowland Speedway Updated/Tomorrowland Refurbishment Complete (MK), Universe of Energy Update (E)
2021: Star Wars Attraction (DHS), Australasia (DAK)
2022: New Major Tomorrowland/Adventureland/Frontierland Attraction (MK - would open late 2021 for the 50th Anniversary), New World Showcase Pavilion/Wonders of Life Redo (E - for the 40th Anniversary)

...then we would be a lot happier - we wouldn't be ecstatic (for example, MK probably needs a major attraction before 2022, and a Tomorrowland update should not take 4-5 years, and the parks need "more" attractions, not just "attractions being replaced").

But what have I really listed here?
8 new attractions (and not all major - probably 3xE, 2xD, 2xC), 4 replacement rides, 4 replacement shows, 2 meet and great areas, 3 new animal areas 1 pavilion and 1 new theatre over 4 parks, and 10 years - it doesn't seem like that would be asking too much...

PeterAlt

Conversely, Universal's build cycle has obviously been more agressive of late (after years of standing pat)

June 9: Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (Upgrade over Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast)

2014/2015

For Disney fans, this is discouraging simply because for every year except 2011 (and possibly 2014 depending on construction times), Universal has opened a new D/E ticket, whether it be an upgrade or a new attraction. Comparatively, Disney's build cycle looks like this:

October 12: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid (New Attraction, upgrade over 20K Leagues Under the Sea)

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

2016/2017
World of Avatar

When the quantity and quality of attractions is compared, and the aggressiveness of the building is assessed, Disney is significantly behind. Since Expedition Everest opened, Universal has opened 6 of the next 9 attractions across the two parks (counting Transformers later this year). What's even more telling is how these 9 attractions stack up against each other.

Having said all that, Carsland as we know it isn't the answer. As awesome as Carsland is, it's simply not the answer in Florida. The Monster's Inc Coaster would be a good start, The Project Morpho simulator and boat ride could also be solid answers. The biggest thing though is that Disney needs to build things that guests haven't seen before.
I see it very simply...

Everest, Soaring, Stitch, Lights Motors Action were all projects Eisner announced before stepping down. Everything after was under Iger. Universal was bought out by Comcast. Everything you see Universal do now is because of the support of its new owner.

It's all about who's in charge and who's running the show. Iger is expected to step down before or by 2015. So, Disney's new CEO may start building as aggressively as Comcast is now for Universal or how Eisner was pre-2006.

cheezbat

I see it very simply...

Everest, Soaring, Stitch, Lights Motors Action were all projects Eisner announced before stepping down. Everything after was under Iger. Universal was bought out by Comcast. Everything you see Universal do now is because of the support of its new owner.

It's all about who's in charge and who's running the show. Iger is expected to step down before or by 2015. So, Disney's new CEO may start building as aggressively as Comcast is now for Universal or how Eisner was pre-2006.
That's the hope of Disney fans. Sadly, I don't see it becoming reality.

Oh and on that list, I think everybody forgot that Islands of Adventure is getting a Jurassic Park expansion in 2014/15. ;)

PeterAlt

That's the hope of Disney fans. Sadly, I don't see it becoming reality.

Oh and on that list, I think everybody forgot that Islands of Adventure is getting a Jurassic Park expansion in 2014/15. ;)
Comcast said they will invest $1.5 billion on USF attractions, not including the new hotel that they're building. Not all the attractions they will build with that money has been announced.

disneyeater

2014/2015

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

2016/2017
World of Avatar

Doesn't the Simpsons "land" open this summer as well? I am looking forward to the day I can get a duff or flaming moe at Moe's Tavern.

disney fan 13

So... Carsland is not green, nether is avatar, and there is nothing else on the plate for Disney after 7DMT... While Universal is in the middle of a revitalization much larger then DCA, Plus Seaworld is stepping up it's game as well, so the question is when will Disney begin to fight back and will it be enough?

Cliff Racer

It is important though, Hogsmeade is similar and I'd argue that the town does a lot more to bring in guests than that, admittedly great sounding, ride does. New Fantasyland tried to do it to but I can't comment on its success until the work is done and we see it as a complete whole. On the whole though I'd say that that is one area where Universal has been putting in more effort than Disney, if only because Disney's theming is already adequate while UNI has had to retheme areas as attractions are ripped out.

cheezbat

Comcast said they will invest $1.5 billion on USF attractions, not including the new hotel that they're building. Not all the attractions they will build with that money has been announced.
Yeah and the crazy thing is, the supposed number for Transformers and Potter 2.0 is around the $600 million mark...that would leave $900 million left on future attractions...including the new Jurassic Park expansion.

PeterAlt

Yeah and the crazy thing is, the supposed number for Transformers and Potter 2.0 is around the $600 million mark...that would leave $900 million left on future attractions...including the new Jurassic Park expansion.
If Iger decides to sit idly by and not fight fire with fire, one thing is clear: Disney will lose market share to Universal. Spending a half billion here and a half billion there on FLE and Avatar, when you break it down per park, it's actually half that. When you break Universal's $1.5 billion down per park, they're spending $750 million per park. That's THREE times more per park than the $250 million per park Disney is spending!

Over at the Cars Land thread, I was attacked for having the opinion that the company's failure and inaction over re-aquisition of its Marvel Comics IP (i.e. theme park rights east of the Mississippi river) sets a bad precedent. This is what I meant by that. Comcast sees this, as they also see Disney's lack of response to their $1.5 billion investment plan. Comcast can now have the confidence they need to walk all over them and take advantage of the situation! Each year as attendance at WDW declines and USO increases, do you think Comcast will be polite and give Disney a hand to get back up? No, they will keep punching to make sure they stay down.

In summary, the issue that nags at me isn't so much about Marvel, but the fact that the competition is totally taking advantage and firing missiles in rapid succession and Disney isn't firing back or putting up an Iron Dome. Maybe secret plans are in the works for a counter-strike. If not, it will be up to Iger's successor. I just hope its not too late then.

PeterAlt

So... Carsland is not green, nether is avatar, and there is nothing else on the plate for Disney after 7DMT... While Universal is in the middle of a revitalization much larger then DCA, Plus Seaworld is stepping up it's game as well, so the question is when will Disney begin to fight back and will it be enough?
You hit the nail on the head!

JohnnyDepp

I'm so sad that another Dark Ride isn't in the works, especially since the fall of Snow White. Another thing to bring up- I haven't seen it in person, but I know that in DCA, the Cars land absorbs a large space. Do you have any ideas on where it would be located in WDW?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm so sad that another Dark Ride isn't in the works, especially since the fall of Snow White. Another thing to bring up- I haven't seen it in person, but I know that in DCA, the Cars land absorbs a large space. Do you have any ideas on where it would be located in WDW?
The are currently housing the Backlot tour and Lights, Motors, Action.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom