Up front on the monorail

alrcam

Original Poster
Has anyone travelled up front on the monorail.

I have a young son and he has been told if you ask a cast member you can sometimes get to ride with the driver in the front on the monrail.
When you have done this you get a certificate .

Is this true.

Only 77 days to go

:lol:

Yellow Shoes

yes, it is true about riding in the front. Ask the CM stationed at the queue.

We didn't get a certificate, but others have. (but we didn't ask, either.)

Grumpy56

Yes indeed it is true. We have done it 3 or 4 times. Up to 4 people can ride up there at a time. Last time we did it was March of 2002 and my son did get a card, I think it said Monorail Driver's Liscence, it was great. It's easier to accomplish at less busy times of course, and sometimes you have to wait for the next monorail, but by all means ask! Sometimes it's easier to do at the one of the resort stops or at the off time, like first thing in the morning at the MK station when everyone else is arriving.

CDS Disney

Its cool but my biggest tip is wear you sunglasses. We were in the front at the contemporary station so our eyes were adjusted to lower levels of light. The front windows aren’t tinted like the side ones are so down came the blinding sun.

Figaro

We did it on our last trip and our son loved it! Try to get on the EPCOT monorail...longer ride :)

My son actually collected quite a few "licenses" that trip. He got one for the monorail, one for the bus and he was an honorary train conductor at the MK. He loved that one the best....he got to ride in the back of the train and push the buttons to start the soundtrack. He still tells people about that now.

Horizons38

Premium Member
Originally posted by Figaro
We did it on our last trip and our son loved it! Try to get on the EPCOT monorail...longer ride :)

My son actually collected quite a few "licenses" that trip. He got one for the monorail, one for the bus and he was an honorary train conductor at the MK. He loved that one the best....he got to ride in the back of the train and push the buttons to start the soundtrack. He still tells people about that now.

So true ! We were very lucky on our last trip ; we were able to get a seat on the monorail to Epcot ! That was fun since the ride takes you around the park before it ends ! Very good suggestion ! :wave:

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
We were able to do this with my youngest on our last trip. It was raining out and at night, so we didn't get to see too much. Just try to get to the front of the line and ask immediately if you can sit in the front with the driver. Because if you don't, the next person will.

Pam

orangefan15

Go for it...its a ton of fun, and you get a different view of things looking out the front of the monorail instead of the left or right.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Rode up front with my mom and sister in the monorail during my trip before Christmas week. We are definitely not children, just happened to be in the right place at the right time. We rode from the Contemporary over to Epcot. It was really incredible with all the Christmas decorations. We didn't ask for a certificate, though I think we could have.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Originally posted by GaryT977
Wouldn't it be neat to have a webcam in the front cab of the monorails? I could watch that for hours.

You should submit that idea to disney, maybe they will do it.

Pam

Maria

Originally posted by sandjhooker
The biggest key is: YOU HAVE TO ASK! And no more than 4 people. It's fun.

Yes, I´ve done it. No certificate though (and I wonder where my pic is...), but you have to ask and you have to make sure you get there on time. Try to be first ones or so, otherwise, most likely someone else has already asked. :animwink:

Invero

The Front Cab... ahhh... the cherished memories...

A few tips about the Front Cab:

The Front Cab can accommodate FOUR bodies. Big, or small. Just Four. Not 5. Just four. One, Two, Three, Four. That's it. If you have more than four in your party, only four may ride in the front, the rest must ride in the back. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE. EVER.

If someone else has asked for the Front Cab... you can ask to wait for the next train. It's only a 5 minute wait. Not that long. it's worth it.

The Resort Monorail is a bit more complicated. Trains are assigned to each of the three resorts. When the train reaches its home resort, the guests in the front cab must get out, and make room for the guests waiting at that resort.

For example, we'll say Red belongs to the Poly. If the Red train pulls into the Poly, the guests must disembark and make room for the guests waiting for the cab. If those guests go to the MK, and get out, guests may board the front and ride until the Polynesian, where they must disembark.

Also... Once you are in the back of the train... you may NOT transfer to the front cab. This rule is strictly enforced.

The Mom

Premium Member
Mightyduck, Ariel, The Daughter, and I rode in the front cab when we went to e-ride night together...another reason we had such a great weekend! I was asked to ride in the front once by the driver...but I think it was because I had my 16 yo niece with me. ;) (The Daughter was only a toddler at the time) I also rode another time; The Daughter and I were the only people on the platform going from the TTC to Epcot during Illuminations; the monorail driver paused for a few minutes so we could watch the fireworks.

blm07

Hey I have a question. (Not in the front seat) Lets say if I was at the TTC, and I was going to Epcot on the monorail. If I stayed on the monorail (and this is probably a slow day) at Epcot, and went back to the TTC would anyone working there make me get off?

Invero

Originally posted by blm07
Hey I have a question. (Not in the front seat) Lets say if I was at the TTC, and I was going to Epcot on the monorail. If I stayed on the monorail (and this is probably a slow day) at Epcot, and went back to the TTC would anyone working there make me get off?

In the front cab, yes. In the back of the train, no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom