News UP! A Great Bird Adventure Getting A Rewrite

RSoxNo1

I think he could have been a wilderness explorer scoutmaster/troop leader who just so happens to HATE the wilderness. And now we have a plot and story lol
I think the should could work with just Russell. I love the Dug character but he makes zero sense for this show. You could basically have the Flight of Wonder show structure with Russell being a bit nervous about the birds (like Guano Joe). The humor would be dialed down but it could potentially hit better with kids.

Kman101

I think the should could work with just Russell. I love the Dug character but he makes zero sense for this show. You could basically have the Flight of Wonder show structure with Russell being a bit nervous about the birds (like Guano Joe). The humor would be dialed down but it could potentially hit better with kids.

Exactly. Though I think they still could have included Joe as a Wilderness Leader, though then it'd probably be even more weighted down by tons of dialogue. But yeah, it was a simple change that they, for some reason, made complicated. It's like three different ideas. They clearly wanted kids to be "Russell and Dug!!! ZOMG" but I don't think that worked. They slightly Disney Junior-fied it.

Kevin_W

"Russell and Dug!!! ZOMG" but I don't think that worked. They slightly Disney Junior-fied it.

Right. But even more, I don't think Russell and Dug are exactly big hits with the Disney Jr. crowd. Up is a great movie, but I think it tends to skew a bit more "adult". And with as old as it is today's teens-and-younger didn't see it upon original release and I doubt it's the first Blu-Ray from the Disney/Pixar collection that parents would pick for today's kids.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
For me it's just the odd juxtaposition of seeing 5.5' tall dog and boy next to live birds. It works for other shows but for whatever reason doesn't here. I'd much rather the UP! characters off stage and on screen. Even the Guano Joe character traits can be re-imagined in Carl Fredrickson.

WDWTank

The “Tomorrowland Problem” all over again
Ah yes, birds that used to look futuristic, with time ended up looking outdated, so they switched them all up for shiny new metallic birds
The point is they keep updating it to add “IP” vs keeping it timeless and cost effective.

Kman101

Right. But even more, I don't think Russell and Dug are exactly big hits with the Disney Jr. crowd. Up is a great movie, but I think it tends to skew a bit more "adult". And with as old as it is today's teens-and-younger didn't see it upon original release and I doubt it's the first Blu-Ray from the Disney/Pixar collection that parents would pick for today's kids.

I think you nailed it.

And of course, they believe adding any IP will suddenly make it "better" or "popular" but that clearly isn't the case.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
What's the betting on them removing the characteristics of the lead character as opposed to shortening the Doug and Russell sections? :rolleyes:

On the right path. Are you surprised the lead character was removed entirely?

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Rewrite number 2:

This took it from in F- to an F. This is remarkably dumbed down and still very awkward. Dug does not work as a large talking character. Part of his appeal in the movie is the animation of his dog behaviors. That can't be replicated in a human size figure. Notice the lack of laughter at any of his comedic lines.

Up may be my favorite Pixar movie, and I feel that it has themes that are absolutely appropriate for the Animal Kingdom, but this show doesn't work. It's time to call it and revert back to Flights of Wonder.

Nottamus

Flights Of Wonder used to be a really cool destination when we had time at some point of the day....just drop in and take a nice break AND be entertained. We liked the show.

now...Up...is still there when we have extra time, but now we find something else to do. It’s definitely a one and done thing for us.

here’s hoping to re-write again bringing it back to FOW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom