Unsure who to vote for regarding the Walt Disney Co. Board

WoundedDreamer

Trian is also running ads.

View attachment 771242
It's pretty bizarre. It definitely goes against the narrative that the small shareholders don't have sway. These ads are not aimed at Blackrock or Vanguard. They're aimed directly at the small shareholders. This indicates that Trian has managed to peel off at least a portion of the institutional investors. Enough that the contest is going to be determined by small shareholders.

Does this help or hurt Disney? I'd assume it helps them. A huge chunk of small shareholders won't bother to vote. Some amount of small shareholders are primarily financially motivated. Those shareholders I could see going either way or maybe somewhat to Peltz. But two big factions of shareholders will be low-information voters and Disney fans. Low information voters probably don't know who Peltz is or what he's arguing. Those shareholders will likely vote for the board recommended options. Kind of like those who vote along party lines in elections. Low-information voters should help Disney and devastate Trian. Disney fans will probably also lean team Iger and hurt Peltz. There's some segment of Disney fans that are disgruntled, but I'd assume they're the minority.

No matter which way the vote goes, the results are going to be fascinating!

JoeCamel

It's pretty bizarre. It definitely goes against the narrative that the small shareholders don't have sway. These ads are not aimed at Blackrock or Vanguard. They're aimed directly at the small shareholders. This indicates that Trian has managed to peel off at least a portion of the institutional investors. Enough that the contest is going to be determined by small shareholders.

Does this help or hurt Disney? I'd assume it helps them. A huge chunk of small shareholders won't bother to vote. Some amount of small shareholders are primarily financially motivated. Those shareholders I could see going either way or maybe somewhat to Peltz. But two big factions of shareholders will be low-information voters and Disney fans. Low information voters probably don't know who Peltz is or what he's arguing. Those shareholders will likely vote for the board recommended options. Kind of like those who vote along party lines in elections. Low-information voters should help Disney and devastate Trian. Disney fans will probably also lean team Iger and hurt Peltz. There's some segment of Disney fans that are disgruntled, but I'd assume they're the minority.

No matter which way the vote goes, the results are going to be fascinating!
Think Bob regrets selling all those shares? A block of votes there

BrianLo

Also, the predators are circling right now largely because the entire entertainment industry has been shaken to its foundation and they sense weakness. WB and Paramount will probably be gone by 2025.

I think even more so, Disney has pivoted better than its competitors and investors want to ride the gravy train back up. There’s a reason there is no one biting for Paramount and WB, because they know Disney was being undervalued and isn’t an actual unstable prospect.

As is the writing has been on the wall for one of Disney’s biggest areas of weak finances, streaming… and you have quite frankly savvy investors wanting to claim the victory for something organically already set into motion.

In other words, the predators wouldn’t be circling unless Disney was about to turn the corner.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Possibly, but the selling of those shares was set in motion a long time ago and couldn't really be stopped.

SEC trading guidelines for those with material information on the finances of a company are quite tight and have very few windows of opportunity to exercise. So yeah, most of them are arms length transactions in periods after mandated reporting has occurred.

Casper Gutman

Yes, capitalism is what built America in what it is today, a world power and a great place to live in freedom.
No, individual liberty, democracy, and other enlightenment ideals built America to greatness. Capitalism is only good because it’s the system that best enables those other ideals (which it certainly is). When it conflicts with those more important ideals, they should take precedence.

fgmnt

Yes, capitalism is what built America in what it is today, a world power and a great place to live in freedom.
A lot of american wealth of private individuals was built on indentured servitude, plantation slavery, and poor treatment of immigrant/minority labor after the first two became illegal. It was entrenched in monopolistic conquests of industry and disregard for public health. Aerospace, Hollywood, and Disneyland were built because a bunch of creatives and scientists decided to do great things; the wealth earned was incidental.

Lilofan

No, individual liberty, democracy, and other enlightenment ideals built America to greatness. Capitalism is only good because it’s the system that best enables those other ideals (which it certainly is). When it conflicts with those more important ideals, they should take precedence.
No, liberty and democracy doesn't define financial success for business, families and individuals. Capitalism is what makes America Great.

Last edited:

WoundedDreamer

I think even more so, Disney has pivoted better than its competitors and investors want to ride the gravy train back up. There’s a reason there is no one biting for Paramount and WB, because they know Disney was being undervalued and isn’t an actual unstable prospect.

As is the writing has been on the wall for one of Disney’s biggest areas of weak finances, streaming… and you have quite frankly savvy investors wanting to claim the victory for something organically already set into motion.

In other words, the predators wouldn’t be circling unless Disney was about to turn the corner.
This is an interesting/provocative (and not bad provocative!) point. I'm not sure if I totally agree, but it is possible. My hesitation with the idea that Peltz/Trian thinks Disney is resurgent is based on Peltz's incentives. If Peltz thought Disney was about to start rocketing upwards, why do this proxy fight? He could have easily just invested some portion of Trian's holdings into the firm and waited for the stock price to surge. He must believe that there is something structurally wrong with Disney, or else his actions don't really make sense.

I guess you could make the argument that Peltz is driven by ego or maybe loyalty to Perlmutter? I've tended to ascribe Peltz's actions primarily to wanting to make money. Until proven otherwise, I think that's the Occam's razor explanation for Peltz's actions.

And while profitability is in sight for streaming, Disney faces pretty significant structural problems related to linear channels. The sports streaming service, if regulators approve it, could be the ticket out of the decline. But there's a significant risk that regulators shut the partnership down. And if that happens... Ouch. I don't think they're out of the woods yet.

BrianLo

This is an interesting/provocative (and not bad provocative!) point. I'm not sure if I totally agree, but it is possible. My hesitation with the idea that Peltz/Trian thinks Disney is resurgent is based on Peltz's incentives. If Peltz thought Disney was about to start rocketing upwards, why do this proxy fight? He could have easily just invested some portion of Trian's holdings into the firm and waited for the stock price to surge. He must believe that there is something structurally wrong with Disney, or else his actions don't really make sense.

I guess you could make the argument that Peltz is driven by ego or maybe loyalty to Perlmutter? I've tended to ascribe Peltz's actions primarily to wanting to make money. Until proven otherwise, I think that's the Occam's razor explanation for Peltz's actions.

And while profitability is in sight for streaming, Disney faces pretty significant structural problems related to linear channels. The sports streaming service, if regulators approve it, could be the ticket out of the decline. But there's a significant risk that regulators shut the partnership down. And if that happens... Ouch. I don't think they're out of the woods yet.

I think it’s a bit of all the above in actuality. At the very base it needed the potential to be resurgent, otherwise Disney would be Paramount.

I personally think Disney is currently resurgent, though when he started this proxy fight under Chapek’s regime it wasn’t so obviously so. There were major structural issues with the way Chapek had remade the content and streaming pipelines. As much as people want to pretend he was a puppet, there were a lot of decisions made under his tenure that I don’t think are strongly congruent with what others (or Iger) would have done. Hence friction in Iger’s departure.

I think there are/were structural problems with Disney circa 2022, though the remediation of those problems and his actual better structural suggestions have been adopted. Whether that was bound to happen without his threat is hard to say. Things have changed from a corporate policy perspective. Elevating the parks to underinvested has literally never been a thing for 30 years now, but the corporate mantra is accepting they have been and accepting they need to be invested more properly into. It’s perhaps nothing more than language, but language can matter.

Largely I think the third pillar is now one of ego. He happily left this alone a year ago. The recovery of Disney was not sufficiently quick enough and he returns with a strange mix of partners who are strictly ego driven. Even if one can entirely set aside Peltz as cold, calculating, in it for the money and shareholders, the sudden fixing to the wagon of Rasulo and Perlmutter completely flies contrary to that. That’s what seem to be largely getting in the way now of his retreat. He’s back a second time, with baggage and that’s his ego on the line.

I still don’t think I would buy what Peltz is peddling in any universe. But he didn’t show up with Kevin Meyer, Tom Staggs, heck +\- Abigail Disney and John Lasseter and I think that’s all that needs to be said about his current motives. It isn’t fully about money, which is why I think the Disney company is going into overdrive to fight it this time.

Not saying I support the return or involvement of a couple of those individuals, but they are somewhat more respected and could be seen as pushing return to the success of the 2010’s era company.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe not her specifically, but the fact that all the Disney grandchildren are speaking out is significant. Every other "takeover" event in Disney history had the backing of members of the Disney family. This one doesn't. That should tell you something. As many have said, Iger is no saint. But Peltz would be far, far worse for the future of the Walt Disney company. Iger, in this case, is the lesser of two evils, and by a pretty significant amount.
There’s honestly no way to say that new board members would “devastate” what is going on with the products more than the current regime

It’s a mess…nothing is going well.

So the boogieman is not much of a spectre now for fans

Investors may not agree

JMcMahonEsq

While all good things, what really built America to greatness was being located on a continent with no other major competitors, with large sections of land, and natural resources, surrounded by oceans on both sides as natural buffers from any major international competitor to your expansion across a continent. Then when industrialization and the start of real major global trade getting started, having two world wars that destabilized many of the other global power governments, and destroying a good portion of the infrastructure/production of those countries leaving America basically unscathed helped also.

While democracy and individual liberty are all well and good. Without access to all of the above, you get switzerland, not America.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While all good things, what really built America to greatness was being located on a continent with no other major competitors, with large sections of land, and natural resources, surrounded by oceans on both sides as natural buffers from any major international competitor to your expansion across a continent. Then when industrialization and the start of real major global trade getting started, having two world wars that destabilized many of the other global power governments, and destroying a good portion of the infrastructure/production of those countries leaving America basically unscathed helped also.

While democracy and individual liberty are all well and good. Without access to all of the above, you get switzerland, not America.
…ahhh…a learned man 🤓

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SEC trading guidelines for those with material information on the finances of a company are quite tight and have very few windows of opportunity to exercise. So yeah, most of them are arms length transactions in periods after mandated reporting has occurred.
Oh dear…

Which planet are you on? The rich dump their shares based on insider info constantly…daily. Including ones they run or have board seats on.

And why? Because money= power to determine the rules

Remember a couple years ago when it was leaked out that bunches of senators/congressman were dumping shares 2 days - conveniently - before shakeups on Wall Street?

How does that come to pass?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Oh dear…

Which planet are you on? The rich dump their shares based on insider info constantly…daily. Including ones they run or have board seats on.

And why? Because money= power to determine the rules

Remember a couple years ago when it was leaked out that bunches of senators/congressman were dumping shares 2 days - conveniently - before shakeups on Wall Street?

How does that come to pass?

I'm on the planet that they will squash insignificantly like a bug on a windshield if I write anything on a public forum thats not public knowledge or do any such trades myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom