Unsettling “security” checks.

Tom P.

Not really. I've always thought that it acts as a first level deterrent. Knowing Disney will be checking the room each day makes it more likely that someone bent on illegal acts will go elsewhere. Path of least resistance. I'm well aware that those who don't like the policy will not agree with this or entertain any suggestion that it can be useful. Disney disagrees.
I disagree that Disney disagrees.

I think that Disney knows full well that this is not going to stop anyone from doing anything. They are doing it solely because they are trying to reduce their own liability in the event that, God forbid, something does happen. I cannot imagine that they have any realistic expectation that this policy actually makes a bit of difference in the actual security of their hotels.

I maintain my original position. The way this policy is being implemented, it accomplishes nothing. Most of the checks are being done by housekeeping staff, untrained in security matters. The checks are simple cursory glances around the room, with no attempt to discover hidden items. Disney will accommodate the schedule of the person staying in the room and agree not to conduct the checks at certain times. Even someone looking for the path of least resistance would not have to expend any significant effort getting around Disney's room checks.

Either implement a true random security check policy, where the guest has no say in when the check occurs and in which the checks do happen at all hours of the day and night, or do away with the security checks. Anything in between is pointless.

Chi84

Premium Member
Good gravy.

Alright, I’ll regret it, but I’ll bite.

THERE IS NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING ABOUT THIS POLICY THAT WOULD STOP THAT VERY ACTION.

nothing

So please save the scare tactic thread punch.

It is theatre. Plain and simple. An inefficient way to cover one’s bottom and disrupt a peaceful vacation. Daily.

A man drives in the gate to the resort, shows his ID, has already checked in online, opens his door to his unit when it is ready, unloads his “luggage” without so much as a glance from anyone employed in this policy. Proceeds to...

It’s horrifying and all to real today. I get that.
It’s not completely ineffective as a deterrent.
I disagree that Disney disagrees.

I think that Disney knows full well that this is not going to stop anyone from doing anything. They are doing it solely because they are trying to reduce their own liability in the event that, God forbid, something does happen. I cannot imagine that they have any realistic expectation that this policy actually makes a bit of difference in the actual security of their hotels.

I maintain my original position. The way this policy is being implemented, it accomplishes nothing. Most of the checks are being done by housekeeping staff, untrained in security matters. The checks are simple cursory glances around the room, with no attempt to discover hidden items. Disney will accommodate the schedule of the person staying in the room and agree not to conduct the checks at certain times. Even someone looking for the path of least resistance would not have to expend any significant effort getting around Disney's room checks.

Either implement a true random security check policy, where the guest has no say in when the check occurs and in which the checks do happen at all hours of the day and night, or do away with the security checks. Anything in between is pointless.
it must be especially frustrating to have to comply with a policy that you believe, with such conviction, has no value. I believe it does have some value as a deterrent.

correcaminos

Perhaps, NYC is better at subversive activity. They are there you just can't see them. :eek:
Likely they are.

If you read your contract, I'm sure it's all there... Even 15 years ago. They use assessments at their discretion and for whatever they deem necessary.

Same goes for your tax-dollars (if you're a US citizen) and TSA. It might be theater, but it's meant as such. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

As for buying your way out of it, you can. It's called flying private and it's still amazingly TSA-free and relatively simple... For a price.
I meant buy my way out of security checks at the resort. I pay for precheck to avoid being racially profiled. It's enough. I'd do the same for any security theater that I can.

You're like a lawyer though. Talk about contracts when I'm talking abstracts of privacy. I never dreamed I'd have to give up my privacy for CYA smoke screen. Nothing to do what's in the contract.

You do you but I'm bowing out of this conversation. I'm not into being contrary just to prove a useless and irrelevant point.

Lilofan

There is a also a random 24/7 policy to search, drug test without your consent. That's life in the United States military.

kali1010

Oh God, this rant again?
Its been in place for nearly 2 years.
At first yes it was invasive but they toned it down within the first couple of months.
They don't look through your belognings.
If you had the latch on the door they could not have walked right in while you were in there.
They always knock. Clearly you did not respond and they entered as they are trained to.
Its really only a minor inconvenience overall and if you are sleeping or otherwise indisposed they will gladly come back later.
I'm well aware that its simply security theater but its not the worst thing in the world and from now on you can choose to stay somewhere els.e
And I now do stay elsewhere! We got back early from the parks I got in the shower and my husband went to grab us food. When I got out of shower, completely nude there was a strange man in my room. Haven't stayed on property since. Next week my hubz booked us at the poly for my birthday I am not happy

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
And I now do stay elsewhere! We got back early from the parks I got in the shower and my husband went to grab us food. When I got out of shower, completely nude there was a strange man in my room. Haven't stayed on property since. Next week my hubz booked us at the poly for my birthday I am not happy
What happened when you reported this incident to guest services. ?

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

Maybe you should cancel and rebook elsewhere again then if you're not happy about it.

Hamlit

Just wrapping up a split stay (Kidani/Poly) this week. Along the way we were notified at both resorts of the daily trash service that is really a security check (a search of your room and belongings for weapons)

This is no doubt in response to Las Vegas. I’m a realist and can understand the policy although it is security theatre at best. I’ve also been a bit put off at the level of absolute disregard for our privacy. There is still a placard on the door though now it says room occupied in lieu of do not disturb and let me tell you we were disturbed 4 out of six days. We are early risers and love the afternoon swim and nap before assessing the evening plans. Four times we were woken up by a cast member entering our room without permission through the room occupied sign. I should have prefaced this with the info that is passed on to guests stating if you put the sign out this then triggers housekeeping (yes housekeeping does the “security check” not actual security) to bypass your room and place a phone call to arrange their entry to complete the Security check. Our sign was put out every day and not one day were we called on the days we were away, they came in anyway. On the days we were there pleasantly slumbering and were awoken, we politely told them we don’t want the trash service and assured them all was ok; only to find our trash emptied later that night.

We have teen aged children who we allow to stay in the room at times and now we have to worry about a total stranger from housekeeping coming in weather we want them pet not.

This policy does not make me feel more secure, in fact, we have never felt less confident in our private space here in WDW than we did I this week.

Perhaps they should just search my vehicle and luggage upon arrival and leave my room alone. Those in charge of this ridiculous policy might also actually search the rooms and maybe just maybe rethink the newest cash grab that has come in the form of the start wars lightsaber and staff cases I’ve see every day that 100% could house an actual weapon.
No offense but if you had a relative in Las Vegas that fateful day you would’ve wished a policy like this was in effect. Don’t blame Disney for the world we live in. Remember the Orlando shooter was considering Disney as a target and was deterred by security presence. It’s a small inconvenience if this policy deters just one criminal per a million minor inconveniences. You can’t put a price on a single human life.

brucerob62

Just wrapping up a split stay (Kidani/Poly) this week. Along the way we were notified at both resorts of the daily trash service that is really a security check (a search of your room and belongings for weapons)

This is no doubt in response to Las Vegas. I’m a realist and can understand the policy although it is security theatre at best. I’ve also been a bit put off at the level of absolute disregard for our privacy. There is still a placard on the door though now it says room occupied in lieu of do not disturb and let me tell you we were disturbed 4 out of six days. We are early risers and love the afternoon swim and nap before assessing the evening plans. Four times we were woken up by a cast member entering our room without permission through the room occupied sign. I should have prefaced this with the info that is passed on to guests stating if you put the sign out this then triggers housekeeping (yes housekeeping does the “security check” not actual security) to bypass your room and place a phone call to arrange their entry to complete the Security check. Our sign was put out every day and not one day were we called on the days we were away, they came in anyway. On the days we were there pleasantly slumbering and were awoken, we politely told them we don’t want the trash service and assured them all was ok; only to find our trash emptied later that night.

We have teen aged children who we allow to stay in the room at times and now we have to worry about a total stranger from housekeeping coming in weather we want them pet not.

This policy does not make me feel more secure, in fact, we have never felt less confident in our private space here in WDW than we did I this week.

Perhaps they should just search my vehicle and luggage upon arrival and leave my room alone. Those in charge of this ridiculous policy might also actually search the rooms and maybe just maybe rethink the newest cash grab that has come in the form of the start wars lightsaber and staff cases I’ve see every day that 100% could house an actual weapon.
Why i always opt out of housekeeping and get $10 per nite of stay on a disney gift card.i empty my own trash put it by housekeeping cart..grab my towels and washcloths when i need to.so convenient

John park hopper

My nephew and his now wife were in Las Vegas. My wifes sister did not know it at the time her son was there ==she would have had a heart attack if she knew. Brian my nephew said it was shear panic and confusion.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's unsettling when you have a teenage boy and girl who are allowed to return to the room on his or her own to shower or nap or eat and now has to deal with a man or woman entering her room at any time they choose.

Teach your children to use the electronic deadbolt. Standard "master" keys will not override that.

flynnibus

Premium Member

This is the classic argument tactic that argues since a change can be defeated, it's pointless. This means a change must be 100% effective to be worthwhile. It does not. It's a complete fallacy.

We have DWI laws - they don't stop every drunk driver. Do you really believe until we stop every drunk driver, that 'anything in between is pointless'?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Just confirms our decision to stay offsite.

There is a strong possibility off site hotels have similar policies in place since this is something you can find throughout the hotel industry and not just at Disney resorts. Therefore, if it bothers you a lot, you may want to check to see if a hotel has that policy in place before booking there.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
There is a strong possibility off site hotels have similar policies in place since this is something you can find throughout the hotel industry and not just at Disney resorts. Therefore, if it bothers you a lot, you may want to check to see if a hotel has that policy in place before booking there.

Thanks! I have left "tells" to let me know if someone has been in our villa. None have been disturbed.

SkiPro3

If indeed this was a 'security' check as a result of the Las Vegas shootings, it would be much cheaper to use trained dogs to sniff for what ever. A dog could probably smell gunpowder or other explosive through the bottom crack in the door and never need to enter a room. Also vent systems could activated, putting a positive air pressure on the rooms of a given floor at a given time the dog is scheduled to sniff and force air from the room under the door and into the hallway.
They can also be trained as cadaver dogs if it's dead people they are searching for.
When I was in the military, we used Schnauzers, a cute breed indeed, to sniff every car coming on base. They were small enough to fit under cars and could be placed in a car to root around if need be. The kids would love 'em!

Tom P.

This is the classic argument tactic that argues since a change can be defeated, it's pointless. This means a change must be 100% effective to be worthwhile. It does not. It's a complete fallacy.

We have DWI laws - they don't stop every drunk driver. Do you really believe until we stop every drunk driver, that 'anything in between is pointless'?
You are misunderstanding me. I do not think that a policy has to be 100% effective to be worthwhile. I have never argued that. But in order for it to be worthwhile, it has to be at least reasonably effective, yes. My point is that I believe this policy, while perhaps not completely ineffective, will almost certainly have near zero effect. I believe the way the policy is designed and executed does, in fact, make it pointless.

It is not that I feel any security policy has to be 100% or nothing. It's that I believe this particular policy is near 0% and, therefore, not worth implementing.

MikeyK72

Again.

And yes, I realize Disney is in fact the owner of the property and can make the rules they choose.

For DVC, is this really true? Aren’t the folks who purchased as their home resort the owners? Can this be a difference justifying why for a hotel it may be okay but not okay for DVC properties?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are misunderstanding me. I do not think that a policy has to be 100% effective to be worthwhile. I have never argued that. But in order for it to be worthwhile, it has to be at least reasonably effective, yes. My point is that I believe this policy, while perhaps not completely ineffective, will almost certainly have near zero effect. I believe the way the policy is designed and executed does, in fact, make it pointless.

It is not that I feel any security policy has to be 100% or nothing. It's that I believe this particular policy is near 0% and, therefore, not worth implementing.

It most certainly changes behavior - you can't just leave your meth lab setup all the time and hide behind a DND tag. It also sets the expectation that the staff will insist on coming in the room at some point, unlike previously where you could turn them away indefinitely.

Does it prevent people from hiding things? No.. but it wasn't intended to.

You're saying its near 0% effective because you're measuring it against objectives that it's not intended for. The system is not for catching criminals in the act - that would freak hotel people (and their insurance out). The hotel staff do not want to play police. The move is a deterrent and to take back 'control' of a space so that it can not be taken out of the hands of the hotel.

No level of 'room checks' can prevent someone from checking in, and 15 minutes later doing something aweful.. But this 'prevent the crime' or 'catch the criminal' were never the points of such checks.

The hotel staff do not want to randomly 'score' by having a security check see something in the act because the guest didn't know they were coming. The hotel just wants to change the idea that this is some space 'you' control for days on end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom