Unsanitary situations in WDW

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I've had a lot of gross moments at WDW over the decades but waking up with 2 month old daughter in the middle of the night and seeing a cockroach crawling on the nipple of her baby bottle at the brand new Port Orleans resort sent me into melt down phase.

I threw a large ziplock bag over the bug and bottle and went to the lobby and had a conversation with the manager in the morning. Bet he still remembers me.

Daniel Johnson

I've never used hand sanitizer, I also rarely get sick.
I wash my hands after using the restrooms or when my hands/arms are noticeably dirty. but, even in a public setting. I don't generally worry about contacting surfaces others do. Its a fact of life you will come into contact with someone else's germs, but carrying around a bottle of sanitizer is a bit much in my eyes. To each his own I guess.

R W B

Lol @ this thread.

My future mother in law brought a full size can of Lysol, purell and baby wipes to clean our resort room with on our last trip and the whole time and the whole time she was doing it I was thinking of all the things that have been mentioned in this thread and all the germs we were all going to encounter in the parks. I couldn't help but chuckle a little on the outside and when they asked what was funny, I just said modded and said nothing lol.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

My biggest fear is Mission Space and it's not because it's an intense thrill ride. The pits are tiny, millions of people have been in there, it spins and it's obvious what happens in there, plus your breathing other peoples air. Gross, the pass time I was in there someone farted and I couldn't wait until the ride was over, imagine if someone was coughing and sneezing, I think it's safer to lick all the guard rails then go in that ride.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I wonder how many people get sick because of their constant avoidance of a few germs?

Their body quits trying to fight them off because it isn't used to doing it anymore because of all the Purell.

I heard it also gives you warts. Not a joke.

I have a strong immune system because I licked every queue rail from FL to CA as a tike.

Good for you!

Mine is strong from all the boogers I eat.

I saw someone change a diaper on a table at Pecos Bills. Half the family was still eating.

I'm still a bit horrified.

What in the actual ****?!?!

They should be ejected from the parks forever. Also, made to live a solitary life on a very small patch of land, away from society.

We saw a man pick his nose then roll his findings around on his fingers in the queue for Space Mountain.

:cautious:

THIS. I've witnessed this a few times. :facepalm::grumpy: Also this seems common at Cosmic Ray's and at the food court in POFQ. :eek:

Rubes. Rubes everywhere.

Goofyernmost

Any water ride grosses me out anywhere...and soggy food or paper on the ground in the waterparks. Also, next time you ride Splash Mt smell your hands after you used the bar that you can hold on to in front of you. :hungover:
Wouldn't that negate the obsessive concern about germs. Sure, just breath them in. You'll be fine.

Goofyernmost

I use to get sick a lot and I developed into a germaphobe. I constantly wash my hands. Purell, wet ones and walking in the opposite direction of the coughing and sneezing has dramatically cut down on the illnesses I pick up these days. There are reasons Doctors and nurses now sterilize stethoscopes between patients and the board of health recommends wipes for grocery cart handles and hand sanitizer dispensers in places like shopping malls.
And that reason would be to scare the life out of the human race and sell lots more wipes and bottles of Purell.

If you really want to get grossed out, bring an LED blacklight flashlight. It will make you disgusted.
Why? Why? Would anyone want to do that. As far as that goes shine it on yourself and then see how long it takes you to crawl out of your own body.

Tonka's Skipper

Frankly anywhere you go that is a public venue with crowds you are going to find germs and mold somewhere!

You best defense from getting sick is use a little common sense and wash yours hands (and use a sanitizer if you wish, but the posts about being TO germ free have a lot of merit).

dreynolds1982

Sure Disney, just like any theme park, is going to be germ-central. Disney does do just about as good a job as any park in the world at keeping it visible clean, but I mean yeah when you have 10s of thousands of people passing through a park in any given day, things are going to get a little dirty. If you start thinking about everything that everyone touches (like the joysticks on Mission Space) or things like that, you will drive yourself crazy. Ignorance is bliss sometimes :)

Best thing to do is to remember to thoroughly wash your hands every chance you get, but especially before eating something. As far as the Purell, I do think people (healthy people w/ no immune system issues) can get a bit carried away with it. Our hands have naturally bacteria on them that help protect us from bad bacteria. Hand sanitizers don't discriminate and kill nearly all bacteria on your hands. Some of that stuff is there for a reason!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Aside from the obvious implications of being OCD, unless you live in a plastic bubble you will be constantly exposed to a constant rain of microbes, fungus spores, and other biologically derived airborne contaminants.

A dearth of scientific knowledge is obvious in this case.

Rob562

I also never use hand sanitizer. I just wash my hands after using the bathroom, before eating and if I happen to contact something noticeably icky. That's about it.

Though one thing I admit to doing when I stay in a DVC villa is right after arriving I immediately put all the "clean" dishes , cups and utensils from the cabinets into the dishwasher and run it through a full cycle.

-Rob

minsmk

I've had a lot of gross moments at WDW over the decades but waking up with 2 month old daughter in the middle of the night and seeing a cockroach crawling on the nipple of her baby bottle at the brand new Port Orleans resort sent me into melt down phase.

I threw a large ziplock bag over the bug and bottle and went to the lobby and had a conversation with the manager in the morning. Bet he still remembers me.

That was probably a Palmetto bug. We have them where we live, and I think you can find them in the Carolinas as well.

They are pretty gross looking but really are just looking for water. I've found them at disney as well and I just go ahead and kill them. Now I'm not trying to sound smart or tell you not to tell disney, because they should really have trappers out. I just wanted you to know what they are ^^ They are much larger and rounder than roaches, but they still are dirty.

I guess I should share my story lol. So one day about 3 or 4 years ago we were at DHS for our last day and we hadn't seen that little Phineas and Ferb show. So we are watching this show and taking pictures on our phones for our friends and there is this woman next to us (we were leaning on the railing near the muppets exit.) with a rental stroller.

You know, the strollers you can get if you forgot one or didn't bring one. Yeah one of those so, she opens her bag up and starts taking out bread, cold cuts, tomatos ect. Well, guess what she does? She starts making a sandwitch in the germ infested rental stroller.. I think my dad got a photo but it was on his old phone.. It was crazy though! And pretty gross.. I guess she thought it was clean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom