• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Unpopular WDW Opinions

Andrew M

I guess I see families who are just pushing the whole group the entire day, either to experience everything possible or to get all the photo ops to satisfy Facebook/ Instagram mom, to the detriment of everyone. And agreed, you aren’t going to post pics of the kids tantrum or “another 45 minutes in line for Frozen! #killme”. But I guess maybe the whole myth perpetrated on social media by some people makes the “magical experience”many people expect when they go simply impossible.

And I get it- the window of time to take your kids to WDW and have a memorable experience seems large, but they’ll be grown and gone before you know it. If it were me, I’d probably take the kids a year or so early myself, but I’d just prefer to be as sure as possible that our time and $$ were fairly well spent. When I see things like in my original post (kid melting down within 2 minutes of park entry) or I see dads at the resort practically mainlining alcohol & cigarettes at the end of the day, I guess it makes me think people should really consider if the kids are ready. And sometimes when the answer is clearly “no” then those tend to be the people I vent about on related threads about the family barricading the FP entrance because they don’t understand it, or generally inconveniencing everyone in their path the entire day, when the kids would have been much happier at the resort pool.
If/when you do have a kid, I highly suggest going as close to, without going over, their 3rd birthday as possible for a first trip. Assuming they're not afraid of characters and have no problem napping in strollers, it's a great time. Plus they're completely free (especially when you hit as many character meals as possible).

Trackmaster

Advertisement
My problem with taking little kiddies that are "too young" is that its just way too much money to spend on infant or very early childhood entertainment. Yeah, you get two year olds in for free, but you're spending full freight on everyone else and the hotels. Really, you could probably take a kid who is six or younger to a state fair, spend $60 for everyone, and the kid will be happy. No need to spend $20,000 on something that a kid that young wouldn't enjoy more than something very basic.

I think as the kids get older they can start to appreciate more complex concepts, and enjoy more refined entertainment that costs more. But otherwise, you're just throwing good money after bad. Now, if you're a 1%er family making $600K a year -- sure, spend whatever you want because it won't really affect your family's budget. If you're making a lot less than that, maybe save that $20K and put it towards your mortgage payment, college fund, or your retirement fund.

justintheharris

My unpopular opinion (If we're even still sharing):
EPCOT is easily by far the worst park. In my view, if it wasn't for its festivals, EPCOT's attendance wouldn't even match Hollywood Studios with 4 rides.

Trackmaster

My unpopular opinion (If we're even still sharing):
EPCOT is easily by far the worst park. In my view, if it wasn't for its festivals, EPCOT's attendance wouldn't even match Hollywood Studios with 4 rides.
Clearly its not an unpopular opinion. Of the 9 visits I made to this year to a Disney Park, both of my visits to EPCOT the park was a ghost time, and of the 7 other visits to the three other parks, five times they were extremely packed wall to wall, and two times the parks were manageable (but nowhere near EPCOT dead).

Really, the only appeal to EPCOT is that its the only Disney park that gets deserted where you can move around and ride a few rides that are walks-ons... but kinda crappy.

Paper straw fan

Clearly its not an unpopular opinion. Of the 9 visits I made to this year to a Disney Park, both of my visits to EPCOT the park was a ghost time, and of the 7 other visits to the three other parks, five times they were extremely packed wall to wall, and two times the parks were manageable (but nowhere near EPCOT dead).

Really, the only appeal to EPCOT is that its the only Disney park that gets deserted where you can move around and ride a few rides that are walks-ons... but kinda crappy.
You must not go during F&W, or heck most days during Xmas season

Goofyernmost

Do you just go before it opens or perhaps after it closes? During hurricanes, maybe? I have been almost every time of the year except summer, for the last 36 years and I have yet to see any ghost town situation. Not as crowded maybe, but, not deserted feeling. Some of Epcot still has/had people eater attractions. For example if you went to the American Pavilion just after they sent people upstairs to see the show, it looks abandoned, but, there are hundreds of people there.

Trackmaster

Do you just go before it opens or perhaps after it closes? During hurricanes, maybe? I have been almost every time of the year except summer, for the last 36 years and I have yet to see any ghost town situation. Not as crowded maybe, but, not deserted feeling. Some of Epcot still has/had people eater attractions. For example if you went to the American Pavilion just after they sent people upstairs to see the show, it looks abandoned, but, there are hundreds of people there.
Went once during Thanksgiving season when the rest of the parks were mobbed, and went once last week. Very chill, no FP+ blocks were blacked out, almost everything was a walk-on, and the CM's weren't even scanning the FP+'s or were making jokes about not needing it. EPCOT just doesn't have the firepower that the other three parks do. Its pretty much just a park for hotel guests and people with AP's to go to eat and drink. I doubt anybody would pay a la carte for a full day ticket just to pay full price for an expensive dinner.

Andrew M

SUPER UNPOPULAR OPINION:

This is why I want them to get rid of the "free under 3" policy.

Too many parents wanting to do a family vacation on the cheap and clogging the park with strollers and crying babies.
Ha. I cant even imagine the backlash if they started charging for newborns.

MinnieWaffles

Is this a genuine problem? Are a lot of people parking at OKW then taking a bus or something?
I see people suggesting it on facebook Disney groups a disturbingly large amount to get around the parking fees. I don't doubt that it's why the OKW buses were so bad in September, some people just take the Mickey because they're selfish. :mad:

mattchu758

Not sure if this is unpopular but I hear a lot of people say that Animal Kingdom is the hottest park. I disagree with this, I feel like it's the best park to find shade and hide yourself from the sun if you need to.

I absolutely hate walking through Fantasyland. I feel like I am getting fried every time I'm in it. Epcot isn't that much fun either.

Any else feel this way or am I the only one?

Paper straw fan

I see people suggesting it on facebook Disney groups a disturbingly large amount to get around the parking fees. I don't doubt that it's why the OKW buses were so bad in September, some people just take the Mickey because they're selfish. :mad:
So they are what, parking at D Springs, bus/boating it back to OKW/Saratoga and then bussing to the parks?

Could be part of why the buses back from MK-Not so scary to Saratoga in October had a line like 7DMT, where I would have considered hitching back in a windowless van over waiting another half hour (from the bus station to my room was a 2 hour ordeal)

I’d be down for putting a scanner at the bus stops. And steep stairs.

trojanjustin

Not sure if this is unpopular but I hear a lot of people say that Animal Kingdom is the hottest park. I disagree with this, I feel like it's the best park to find shade and hide yourself from the sun if you need to.

I absolutely hate walking through Fantasyland. I feel like I am getting fried every time I'm in it. Epcot isn't that much fun either.

Any else feel this way or am I the only one?
There’s lots of shade because of the trees but all that foliage makes it more humid than the other parks, so while you might not be in direct sunlight you’ll sweating a bit more plus it FEELS a few degrees warmer thanks to that stickiness.

danyoung56

1)......3) Flame Tree BBQ - what am I missing? Just run of the mill BBQ......
While I agree that we have MUCH better BBQ here in Texas, them Flame Tree ribs are pretty tasty. Combine that with the view down by the water, and you've got a don't miss!

Disney.Mike

While I agree that we have MUCH better BBQ here in Texas, them Flame Tree ribs are pretty tasty. Combine that with the view down by the water, and you've got a don't miss!
I consider myself a high class man when it comes to BBQ. But Texas BBQ (Houston, Dallas, and SA) has left me unimpressed. I find Memphis has the best, but the burnt ends in the Kansas City area are a close 2nd.

danyoung56

You could be totally right there, Mike. All I know is the stuff I can find in the Dallas area is pretty danged good, but the Flame Tree is pretty tasty as well.

kong1802

Yeah, that view with Everest across the way is pretty good.

Guess I was just expecting too much from the food.

I forget that "edible" at Disney QS really gets people pretty excited. lol

Top Bottom