Unpopular WDW Opinions

CaptainAmerica

Walking is a form of transportation. Universal was smart and integrated both lodging and parks, making walking a viable form of transport. This is far from silly. It is excellent planning, cost saving, and customer satisfaction.
It's not "planning," it's just the amount of land they had. What you're describing is exactly how Disneyland is set up and it's something Walt recognized as one of his biggest mistakes.

21stamps

None of those are unpopular opinions. I'd say you'd probably get 70% to 80% agreement on every single one of them.

Actual unpopular opinions would be:
  • Maelstrom kind of sucked and Frozen is a major upgrade.
  • Disney should significantly raise prices to combat overcrowding.
  • There's nothing wrong with charging for parking.
  • Unless you're a registered guest or have a dining reservation, you shouldn't be allowed to visit resorts.
  • The Magic Kingdom is more pleasant in the evenings without a nighttime parade.

Agree with all of this.

Perhaps infants shouldn't be going to WDW... with crowds, germs, heat, tropical critters and the like, it's hardly a hospitable environment for them.

And as for the older kid restrictions... if they can keep kids under 40" off rides, maybe they can keep kids OVER 40" out of strollers.

I would have agreed with you prior to my 2015 trip with a 45.75” 5 year old in 105-106 degree Real Feel.

You seem to be talking about a newborn, not an infant. Newborn? Totally agree. But most kids are sufficiently vaccinated to fly and travel by a few months old.

agreed_pirates_caribbean.gif

I have a three year old who's right around 40 inches and she'll be out of her stroller for our trip in June. She can ride on her dad's "cholders" (as she calls them) when she gets tired. Actually, the six month old will be in a baby carrier so I'll be there with two kids under four and no stroller.

See above. Not all of us can handle walking around with kids on our shoulders. A stroller is nice when needed, late evenings or some periods during the day. HOWEVER, if someone does bring a stroller for a scenario like I mentioned above, leave the stroller parked for most of the day, only use when necessary.

buseegal

You seem to be talking about a newborn, not an infant. Newborn? Totally agree. But most kids are sufficiently vaccinated to fly and travel by a few months old.

agreed_pirates_caribbean.gif

I have a three year old who's right around 40 inches and she'll be out of her stroller for our trip in June. She can ride on her dad's "cholders" (as she calls them) when she gets tired. Actually, the six month old will be in a baby carrier so I'll be there with two kids under four and no stroller.
I would make riding on parents shoulders against the rules as that is unsafe in crowds would sure hate to see that parent trip and fall while walking with a child. don't say he is always careful as he maybe but what about that child that runs in front of him. been there and seen it happen

CaptainAmerica

I would make riding on parents shoulders against the rules as that is unsafe in crowds would sure hate to see that parent trip and fall while walking with a child. don't say he is always careful as he maybe but what about that child that runs in front of him. been there and seen it happen
Lol.

toyota-rav4-child-safety-ft-kaley-cuoco-song-by-skee-lo-large-8-845x321.jpg

I like that the GOTG ride is coming to Epcot.
I think the changes being done to Hollywood studios are great compared to what used to be, like the stunt show, backstage tour, who want to be a millionaire, etc...
Dinoland is low key great.
And Ohana is just a so, so place to eat.
Ohana is amazing. I could see an argument that it's overpriced, but I love every second (and every bite) when I'm in there.

Willmark

Note please don’t read anything more into this statement other than a random thought. Perhaps just a counter intuitive musing if you will.
Simply in the vein of this thread: Ticket prices are too low.

Before the tar, feathers and pitchforks are brought out consider it. Price hikes have not dented attendance appreciably and MK is quite often packed. I’m not talking about historical pricing either, I’m talking about now. Does anyone WANT to pay more? I sure don’t. But at the same time I don’t want it anymore crowded than it all too often is. Disney has pushed prices up, but attendance has stayed high.

So what is my point to this? Nothing classist or elitist rather consider my point above. Imagine if they lowered the cost of attendance? (Which will never happen) Great thing right? It would turn everyday into 12-31 to 1-1!

I hadn’t really thought about this till I really started reading and participating in threads from the perspective of cost vs time, because at WDW those two are often at odds and probably the results of a lot of behaviors seen at the parks. YMMV.

TLDR version? Prices are too low because if they dropped the cost, attendance would increase dramatically ! /s

JusticeDisney

To all those saying electric scooters should be banned, here’s hoping that neither you nor anyone close to you ever suffers from any type of disability. I’m sorry, but it doesn’t get much lower than basically saying “hey you who can’t walk around on your own, you should just stay home so that us more fortunate people don’t have to deal with the inconvenience that is you.” Wow, some people never cease to amaze me.

CaptainAmerica

Note please don’t read anything more into this statement other than a random thought. Perhaps just a counter intuitive musing if you will.

Before the tar, feathers and pitchforks are brought out consider it. Price hikes have not dented attendance appreciably and MK is quite often packed. I’m not talking about historical pricing either, I’m talking about now. Does anyone WANT to pay more? I sure don’t. But at the same time I don’t want it anymore crowded than it all too often is. Disney has pushed prices up, but attendance has stayed high.

So what is my point to this? Nothing classist or elitist rather consider my point above. Imagine if they lowered the cost of attendance? (Which will never happen) Great thing right? It would turn everyday into 12-31 to 1-1!

I hadn’t really thought about this till I really started reading and participating in threads from the perspective of cost vs time, because at WDW those two are often at odds and probably the results of a lot of behaviors seen at the parks. YMMV.

TLDR version? Prices are too low because if they dropped the cost, attendance would increase dramatically ! /s
This guy gets it.

To all those saying electric scooters should be banned, here’s hoping that neither you nor anyone close to you ever suffers from any type of disability. I’m sorry, but it doesn’t get much lower than basically saying “hey you who can’t walk around on your own, you should just stay home so that us more fortunate people don’t have to deal with the inconvenience that is you.” Wow, some people never cease to amaze me.
I'd be shocked if any more than 25% of people in scooters at WDW are using them out of medical necessity. Absolutely shocked. Most people use them as strollers for lazy people.

CaptainAmerica

So what do you suggest for those of us who medically need them?
I'm not the one who suggested banning them in the first place, so I'll defer to someone else to answer your question. I don't think the problem is the scooters themselves, I think the problem is that many people who drive them are either incompetent or flat-out rude. Even if someone medically needs it, that's no excuse to be oblivious of your surroundings, run people over, knock things off of shelves, etc.

jloucks

No pitchforks needed. It is super basic supply and demand. You move price around, and the other two fluctuate. The most simplistic way to decrease demand is to increase price.

Willmark

No pitchforks needed. It is super basic supply and demand. You move price around, and the other two fluctuate. The most simplistic way to decrease demand is to increase price.
Oh I get that quite well.

My point is people are going to see the post and jump to conclusions as to why I posted it. Par for the course on the internet these days.

jloucks

So what do you suggest for those of us who medically need them?

If you medically need them, that's different. So long as you can safely drive the things. If you would rent a traditional wheelchair were scooters not available (like pre 2000's), you're very likely legit.

After the end of the long day, all of our legs hurt. Our knees ache. Our backs are stiff. Our ankles crackle. Our toes and heels get blisters. Our crotches get red from where the underwear rubs all day. If any of those ailments are the medical reasons you are referring to, you don't need a scooter. You want one. And that is what I would like banned.

Add to that bus line cutting privilege (and the 4-1 bus capacity consumption), and you have another good reason.

The Empress Lilly

• Adults at MK without kids is weird (there are very rare exceptions)
The MK was designed by people in their 50s and 60s...for people in their 50s and 60s.

Because Disney provided such a safe, secluded space where everything is reassuring, parents came to think of it as a great place for kids, which slowly forced Disney to rebuild the MK. Rather bizarrely, the typical guest of the MK went from a 55 year old male to a 5 year old girl.

From steamboats, steamships, Charlie Chaplin movies, Americana and history, flower and antique shops, to Bibbidi Boppity Boutique, Disney Store aesthetics, New Princessland Fantasyland, cartoons everywhere, and entertainment that specifically scans the audience looking for girls in princess dresses.

Vint-Jan-72-73-disney-skyway-to-tomorrowland-fantasyland-station-magic-kingdom.jpg

Tomorrowland-0138a.jpg

The Empress Lilly

My turn to make friends! =D

• HEA sucks, even if the fireworks themselves are some of the most lavish ever
  • Rivers of Light is slightly boring, but neat
  • Tree of Life Awakenings is super cute
  • With the removal of Wishes and MSEP DAK now has better nighttime entertainment than the MK
  • There should be kid-free EPCOT restaurants
  • There should be no booze sold in the parks except a maximum of three glasses per complete dinner
  • No booze whatsoever ought to be sold in the MK
  • All strollers should be banned from the parks except small foldable ones rented by Disney
  • Anybody who likes the new hub does not have a soul

DisneyJoe

If you medically need them, that's different. So long as you can safely drive the things. If you would rent a traditional wheelchair were scooters not available (like pre 2000's), you're very likely legit.

After the end of the long day, all of our legs hurt. Our knees ache. Our backs are stiff. Our ankles crackle. Our toes and heels get blisters. Our crotches get red from where the underwear rubs all day. If any of those ailments are the medical reasons you are referring to, you don't need a scooter. You want one. And that is what I would like banned.

Add to that bus line cutting privilege (and the 4-1 bus capacity consumption), and you have another good reason.
Ok, by that rule, I don't NEED one, I want one, it makes everything much more comfortable for me.

It's just much easier to use an ECV than to walk with my two crutches and my prosthetic legs (yes both) that I have needed since birth for the many miles that are needed to tour the parks. Except for my crutches, just looking at me, you cannot tell I have the prosthetics. I did this for many many years, not wanting to be a "scooter user" and abuse the system or get special treatment - I was always told that I was just like anyone else - so I sucked it up, took the pain - I took care of my blisters, was constantly drenched in sweat, handled all of the issues that arose from my prosthetics on a nightly basis and iced my hands every night to reduce the swelling. I waited in line like everyone else. Stood on the bus so that women and children could sit. One year a friend convinced me that I would enjoy the parks much more if I used the scooter, and she was right.

Are there people that abuse the system? Of course, any system is abused.

Do they have an unfair advantage over everyone else? NO - it all balances out in the end. There is no line cutting for rides, we enter and load for most as you would. When we do get separate loading areas, they are in the back, or the very front - not always the best seats. I don't ride many Omnimover rides because I don't want them to stop them. You see the ECV "privilege" in going to the front of the bus line, what you don't see is the fight that we need to go through when we need to get through a crowd. Do your feet get stuck in the tracks on main st? Do people stop in front of you and you are helpless to turn and move past them easily? Those who can walk can easily side step - ECVs cannot. It takes us 2 to 3 times as long to leave a park in a crowd - so when we get to the bus, the line to the front (besides being needed for loading purposes) is just an equalizer, not a privilege. You also don't see what happens at unload time, because you easily step off the bus and you are happily on your way. ECVs are the last to be off the bus - guests get off first, then the ECV. Once again, you easily go ahead and get to your room or the food court etc, while we are being unloaded.

Are there people who don't know how to drive and knock things off of the shelves and who are jerks? Of course! but I could show you just as many idiots who have two good feet who cause just as many issues.

It all balances out - and we all need to be patient.

Sorry for the vent - but many won't understand this until they need to go through it themselves or with a loved one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom