Unpopular WDW Opinions

CaptainAmerica

I think people who actually use wheelchairs and ECVs are more knowledgeable about what it's like to use them than you.
Not the ones who only use them at Walt Disney World. My mother-in-law rented one one time and she was a danger to herself and others. It was mortifying. She was literally ripping down racks of merchandise because she couldn't control the damn thing.

DisneyJoe

Not the ones who only use them at Walt Disney World. My mother-in-law rented one one time and she was a danger to herself and others. It was mortifying. She was literally ripping down racks of merchandise because she couldn't control the damn thing.
I disagree. I only use them at Disney parks, but I keep my eyes on the road. I see other drivers looking up in the sky or elsewhere. It needs to be driven like a car. Doing otherwise causes issues.

Some also don't realize there is a speed control - or they do and they have it on full speed. That can cause problems too.

Goofyernmost

No one is being hurt, not any more than anyone intends any sort of harm. People who don't need ECV's but clog the walkways while running down unsuspecting pedestrians is the definition of "self-centered".
And people that stand in judgement feeling that they know that those people are not in need of the mobility device are the definition of arrogant and self absorbed. So what's the point. As a member of the human race the very fact that we are even having this discussion is total proof that we have declined as a civilization. We are the ones that are self centered no matter what side we are on. I have been going to WDW for 35 years. I have never even been close to being "run down". Know why because I am aware of my locations and that of others. I do not think it is solely responsibility of others to protect myself from injury. I take a proactive roll in that and make sure I don't put myself in a place where I will get injured. I know how those machines work, I know that they do not have intuitive braking, I know enough to not step in front of one. I look before I alter my directions. I have witnessed others being hit, but, only after they stepped in front of one. Then watched the idiots yell at the scooter and stroller operator because they themselves stepped in front of a moving vehicle.

What we need to do is stop trying to constantly blame others for our inability to be conscious of our surrounding, be thankful that we are not in a position to need one of them and be completely aware of how fast that can become us. It happens sometimes in nanoseconds.

OneofThree

And people that stand in judgement feeling that they know that those people are not in need of the mobility device are the definition of arrogant and self absorbed.

Not so much. We have professionals in healthcare and insurance who get paid handsomely to do just that. I completely fine with their determinations.

I have never even been close to being "run down". Know why because I am aware of my locations and that of others. I do not think it is solely responsibility of others to protect myself from injury.

I do know. It's because thus far, you've fallen on the fortunate side of the statistics. Happens every day that I don't get hit by an oncoming drunk driver.

spock8113

there's too much Star Wars at Hollywood Studios Yep, between the movies and rides, they want their 4 billion dollars back. But, at the same time, people do love the franchise. It's definitely present day and nostalgia.

Disney should have built all-encompassing Pixar Land and Lucasfilm Land instead of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge, respectively I think this is more a matter of crowd control and "moychandising". Blending two different franchises would possibly be too confusing.............and Lucas may have stipulated by putting down the plastic strip to say, "I don't want your groceries fraternizing with my groceries."

Downtown Disney is a more exciting name than Disney Springs The word Springs sounds fresh and bubbly as opposed to "Pleasure Island". That sounds more like an 80's rom/com. Let's be real and just call it the Disney Mall.

Pop Century Legendary Years would've been better than Art of Animation I used to stay at the Pop and looked out on those original abandon buildings frequently learning that 9/11 put them in that condition. While it was obvious was the Legendary Years theme-ing based on what remained was going to be a continuation. Disney decided to change it up some and update it as well. I've been at the AOA and I like the theme-ing. Besides, while going back to the teens, 20's 30's and 40's, I think the Pop has enough retro buildings to fill the bill.
paper FPs were a better system than FP+ AYE! But it was discovered early on how to manipulate the machine from the magic button in back. The paper and litter problem probably played a small part as well. The Wizard Behind the Curtain at a desk 10 miles away can control things much easier thru computers and software while giving Disney crucial data for crowd control.

Hollywood Studios should've stayed a working film studio YES, that's all.

Disney should have built Beastly Kingdom instead of Pandora Yes, again, but with Pandora, there's no personnel required to take care of the animals, or food or schedules, not to mention required real estate. Viola, just turn on the Pandora power switch and walk away.

putting Frozen and Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot are terrible ideas I watched the Norway ride be built over time and hoped it'd be good based on the flumes being installed. It was ok, too short. Now, once again, Disney needs to use their TV/movie franchise to promote their park, that's how it's always been done. The problem is, while nicely done, they only had what they had so the ride is still short. Wait for it, wait for it..........Let it go. Guardians of the Galaxy....that replaced an aging informative World's Fair type of ride with yet another Disney franchise. I can't wait to go on to see what they've done. It's a big building with big possibilities.

I liked the Millionaire show at Hollywood Studios We got picked for the front row and I literally had a panic attack, DUH. Millionaire may date itself as well but then Indiana Jones still lives on. We stole a British show, again (IT Crowd-Big Bang) and so on...............

the Pixar Short Film Festival is a lame excuse for a Captain EO replacement. Disney should've just brought back HISTA instead. I bought the Pixar Short DVD. I always liked Honey I Shrunk the Audience, but that too is an older franchise that fewer and fewer people are familiar with as it's rare airing frequency is controlled by you-know-who. Where are you Matt Frewer? Heck, before the Great Movie Ride, I had no idea who Billy Murray (not Bill Murray) or Bugsby Berkeley were!
It is sad when an old favorite gets torn down, but hopefully, the replacement is just as good, however, some of Disney's "improvements" have fallen short.
Who knows, in 10 years you might be saying, "I can't believe they're tearing down the Slinky Rollercaoster."

Prepared to take the sting of the Scorpion!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And people that stand in judgement feeling that they know that those people are not in need of the mobility device are the definition of arrogant and self absorbed. So what's the point. As a member of the human race the very fact that we are even having this discussion is total proof that we have declined as a civilization. We are the ones that are self centered no matter what side we are on. I have been going to WDW for 35 years. I have never even been close to being "run down". Know why because I am aware of my locations and that of others. I do not think it is solely responsibility of others to protect myself from injury. I take a proactive roll in that and make sure I don't put myself in a place where I will get injured. I know how those machines work, I know that they do not have intuitive braking, I know enough to not step in front of one. I look before I alter my directions. I have witnessed others being hit, but, only after they stepped in front of one. Then watched the idiots yell at the scooter and stroller operator because they themselves stepped in front of a moving vehicle.

What we need to do is stop trying to constantly blame others for our inability to be conscious of our surrounding, be thankful that we are not in a position to need one of them and be completely aware of how fast that can become us. It happens sometimes in nanoseconds.
Or we can be considerate of our fellow park goers and use a mode of transport that doesn't involve a 200-pound electric battering ram.

I want to remind anyone who's still reading that this thread is entitled "Unpopular WDW Opinions," not "Let's Bash People With Unpopular Opinions."

Here are mine:

IPs are fine, especially in EPCOT.

You should only be able to get a mobility scooter if you have a doctors slip.

Soarin' is mediocre.

Illuminations is over rated.

Big Thunder is better than Space Mountain and Expedition Everest.

mololy

Here's my list
- I think that the new animatronics with the projected faces (SDMT and FEA) look terrible
- On that note SDMT is a pretty mediocre ride
- Pandora is overhyped and Disney should have used one of their own IP's for a new land (like Lion King or Jungle Book)
- I hate that Hollywood Studios has become overrun with Star Wars
- I don't mind the changes to the redhead

TwilightZone

I'm noticing a trend with the star wars.
Isn't it going to end up being just 3 rides once DHS is finished? I'm pretty sure jedi training and anything else outside the land is not permanent. I wouldn't call 3 rides being over ran.

mololy

Overrun may have been a bit of an exaggeration. It just felt like when I was there a few weeks ago the only things in the park were Star Wars related with the march of the first order, the stage show, launch bay and jedi training. But it also is because the park is relatively small and not a lot of rides open at the moment.

Personally I'm not a star wars fan, so that probably also skews my perception of the amount of star wars in actuality

TwilightZone

Overrun may have been a bit of an exaggeration. It just felt like when I was there a few weeks ago the only things in the park were Star Wars related with the march of the first order, the stage show, launch bay and jedi training. But it also is because the park is relatively small and not a lot of rides open at the moment.

Personally I'm not a star wars fan, so that probably also skews my perception of the amount of star wars in actuality
Oh yeah I understand. I think it is more over ran in tomorrowland over in disneyland. I am anticipating when it all goes away once star wars land opens or when tomorrowland renovates.
Maybe it's because I really hate the idea of star wars space mountain. It is the only IP take over I dislike with a passion.

AlaMS

Aha. Unpopular Opinion Is Unpopular.

Here's my problem with scooters and mega-strollers -- they each take up more space than one person would, and each have been implicated in safety and courtesy issues. With the state of crowding in today's guest environment, I don't think either one is safe or appropriate.

There's nothing an ECV does for a person's mobility issues that can't be solved by using a wheelchair instead. Yes, a wheelchair takes up about one-and-a-half person spaces, but I think it's a justifiable trade-off so people with mobility issues can enjoy the parks. And when's the last time you heard of an inexperienced wheelchair operator running someone down or over?

Mega-strollers are almost as bad at wasting space. That's why I recommended limiting stroller kids to 40" or less in an easily foldable, lightweight umbrella stroller. They're easier to maneuver and don't make as big a dent should some heat-crazed, claustrophobic stroller mom decide to start using one as an ankle battering ram. If your child over 40" can't handle walking a whole day in the parks, consider a mid-day break back at the resort.

Imagine WDW without mega-strollers or ECVs... once again, MK would look like a family theme park instead of a sale at Babys-R-Us or Senior Dinner Special at the Aventura Mall.

Sadly, I was a person who would make a judgement on those who used ECVs at WDW.

Now I am in position that I have to use one due to MS. If you look at me, I appear to have no physical abnormalities, but my ability to navigate distances without pain is limited. I wish I could do without one! I will be going to WDW in October for an adult family reunion and do not want to have someone push me in a wheelchair all day... not fair to them. Due to lack of hand strength, pushing myself is not an option.

I will do my best not to inconvenience anyone that has full mobility.

Last edited:

NickMaio

Sadly, I was a person who would make a judgement on those who used ECVs at WDW.

Now I am in position that I have to use one due to MS. If you look at me, I appear to have no physical abnormalities, but my ability to navigate distances without pain is limited. I wish I could do without one! I will be going to WDW in October for an adult family reunion and do not want to have someone push me in a wheelchair all day... not fair to them. Due to lack of hand strength, pushing myself is not an option.

I will do my best not to inconvenience anyone that has full mobility.
There are two types of people in this world - those who feel they have the right to judge others based on what they see and those who choose live their own lives and let others do what they NEED.

You do your thing and I will do mine - if my stroller or mobility device really bothers you that much - I really feel sorry for you.
The hardships in life get A LOT harder than my stroller in your way.

Ok, now I am really done with this ridiculous thread.

kong1802

This thread has given me a great idea.

I'm definitely rigging up our double jogging stroller with a bike motor. Our 5 and 3 year old do very well on the speedway. Time to liven it up! Watch out stroller/ECV haters!

OneofThree

Now I am in position that I have to use one due to MS.

Yup -you need one, as does my mother-in-law who also suffers from MS, and has for over 20 years now.

There are two types of people in this world

Just two huh? Got news for ya. Everyone makes judgments about everything, every day -it's human. Some however, are have recently come under the impression that we do not, and/or that in our newfound narcissistic mode, we should somehow be able to affect whomever, whenever, however, and that without consequence. Sorry -this is a sham. It has never really worked that way, and it never really will.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There are two types of people in this world - those who feel they have the right to judge others based on what they see and those who choose live their own lives and let others do what they NEED.

You do your thing and I will do mine - if my stroller or mobility device really bothers you that much - I really feel sorry for you.
The hardships in life get A LOT harder than my stroller in your way.

Ok, now I am really done with this ridiculous thread.
There's another type... those who take unwarranted umbrage when someone states an opinion on something they don't like. I've never said I don't like people with mobility issues, and I don't judge them because they have them. However, this is still the USA, so I still have the right to not like huge strollers or ECVs at WDW. I think they're a safety hazard and take up too much space.

To reiterate: if you use an ECV or a mega-stroller, I'm not judging you... I just don't like how big and hazardous your choice of mobility device is.

And I seem to have the most unpopular opinion in this thread. What do I win?

Willmark

There's another type... those who take unwarranted umbrage when someone states an opinion on something they don't like. I've never said I don't like people with mobility issues, and I don't judge them because they have them. However, this is still the USA, so I still have the right to not like huge strollers or ECVs at WDW. I think they're a safety hazard and take up too much space.

To reiterate: if you use an ECV or a mega-stroller, I'm not judging you... I just don't like how big and hazardous your choice of mobility device is.

And I seem to have the most unpopular opinion in this thread. What do I win?
You win bonus points for the use of the word umbrage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom