Unpopular Opinions: DLR Edition

Phroobar

troll_200_200.jpeg
VS
troll_200_200.jpeg

FIGHT!

Animaniac93-98

Well I’m still over here wondering what has exceeded POTC or HM at DL as complete experiences?

Off the top of my head, rides in Japan that I would say are better than DL's HM:

Sindbad's Storybook Voyage
Monsters, Inc. Ride and Go Seek
Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
Journey to the Center of the Earth
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Splash Mountain (TDL)
Tower of Terror (DisneySea)
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull

You could also argue for the following EPCOT Center classics:

Horizons
Journey Into Imagination
World of Motion
Spaceship Earth
Universe of Energy (bigger, longer Dinorama than on the DLRRR)
Listen to the Land (original version. Odd choice maybe, but I could see the argument)

Maybe DLP's original Space Mountain, The Great Movie Ride (when it was new and special), Kilimanjaro Safaris, Phantom Manor, Mystic Manor, Shanghai's Pirates, etc.

As for what's better than pre-2006 Disneyland Pirates? It's a matter of opinion. Something like The American Adventure or Meet the World might leave a bigger impression, despite not being rides. Is what makes something a "complete experience" based on run time? Queue experience? Emotional response? I enjoy some things more than the big E-tickets, myself.

Of course, all thing pale in comparison to the soon to be closed Armageddon show at Disney Studios Paris. Truly in a class of its own. ;)

Rich T

Off the top of my head, rides in Japan that I would say are better than DL's HM:

Splash Mountain (TDL)

Horizons
Journey Into Imagination
World of Motion
Spaceship Earth
Listen to the Land (original version. Odd choice maybe, but I could see the argument)

Maybe DLP's original Space Mountain, The Great Movie Ride (when it was new and special), Kilimanjaro Safaris, Phantom Manor, Mystic Manor, Shanghai's Pirates, etc.

As for what's better than pre-2006 Disneyland Pirates? It's a matter of opinion. Something like The American Adventure or Meet the World might leave a bigger impression, despite not being rides. Is what makes something a "complete experience" based on run time? Queue experience? Emotional response? I enjoy some things more than the big E-tickets, myself.

Of course, all thing pale in comparison to the soon to be closed Armageddon show at Disney Studios Paris. Truly in a class of its own. ;)
Ok. Everyone has opinions. Here’s mine. None of the classic Epcot attractions you listed provide (or provided) a “better” or more complete experience than DL’s (or WDW’s) Haunted Mansion. And yes, I rode them all several times. They were all ambitious and wonderful, but they don’t/didn’t connect with guests or tell their tales as memorably as the HMs.

And that’s why HM is famous, loved, celebrated (by nearly all guests, not just hardcore park fans), merchandised, and—by park standards—immortal. And that’s why most of the great old Epcot rides are (sadly) gone.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Splash Mountain (TDL)

Horizons
Journey Into Imagination
World of Motion
Spaceship Earth

I disagree but I haven’t been to any of the international parks. I believe I can get a pretty good feel for most attractions between the ride throughs and leveraging my experience. After I visit some more Disney parks I’ll come back and provide a better rebuttal.

DarkMetroid567

I’ve never been on Hunny Hunt, but...from watching videos of it... The 1st room (blustery day)is the only part I like. The rest looks like a complete snooze. A bouncy projection room followed by a big, mostly empty space Heffalump room where you only get to see 1/3 of the effects, then a lame ending. Give me a traditional tracked dark ride full of crash doors and in-your-face effects any day—as long as it’s not the DL Pooh.

I remember watching Pooh's Hunny Hunt on youtube and not expecting much from it. But having gone on it? Wow. It soooo much more fun in person. It really helps that the trackless ride system feels a hell of a lot faster than any tracked dark ride, and I was basically giggling the entire time.

DarkMetroid567

Splash Mountain (TDL)

Horizons
Journey Into Imagination
World of Motion
Spaceship Earth

Sindbad is certainly not a superior experience to HM. It's cute, but it's half the rides that PotC and HM are.

fravit

I don't think its awful but it def overhyped. Very regular degular

Agreed on Plaza Inn chicken. The flavor of the batter is good but usually the chicken I get there is dry. Idk if it sits out for a while or what. II I like it when they do the chicken and waffles, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom