Unpopular Opinions: DLR Edition

PiratesMansion

I’ve never been on Hunny Hunt, but...from watching videos of it... The 1st room (blustery day)is the only part I like. The rest looks like a complete snooze. A bouncy projection room followed by a big, mostly empty space Heffalump room where you only get to see 1/3 of the effects, then a lame ending.

It's a cliche for a reason...you can't really judge it based on a POV video. You only get to see a third of the effects in the Heffalump room because each car sees different things as it goes through (high local population, locals enjoy variations that make attractions more repeatable, etc.). The "lame ending" is Pooh getting his honey; conflict resolved. And remember, it's POOH, a property that has never been big on huge conflict or events. Those original shorts and stories meander. There was never going to be a rolling boulder, explosions, or any huge finale.

Give me a traditional tracked dark ride full of crash doors and in-your-face effects any day—as long as it’s not the DL Pooh.

If you're looking for crash doors on your dark rides, you might be at the wrong park. But here's a fantastic dark ride that I think you'd love: Haunted Mansion, Knoebel's Amusement Resort

Rich T

It's a cliche for a reason...you can't really judge it based on a POV video. You only get to see a third of the effects in the Heffalump room because each car sees different things as it goes through (high local population, locals enjoy variations that make attractions more repeatable, etc.). The "lame ending" is Pooh getting his honey; conflict resolved. And remember, it's POOH, a property that has never been big on huge conflict or events. Those original shorts and stories meander. There was never going to be a rolling boulder, explosions, or any huge finale.

If you're looking for crash doors on your dark rides, you might be at the wrong park. But here's a fantastic dark ride that I think you'd love: Haunted Mansion, Knoebel's Amusement Resort
I’d rather ride through a room full of many things that all guests get a chance to see. The “everyone sees something different” approach is a design feature of the trackless rides that I’m just not crazy about. I get your point about the repeat local business, though.

But, yes, I’m judging a meal from a photograph.

On the OTHER hand, don’t let the ride’s lame narrative off easy just because it’s Pooh; Disney’s produced plenty of Pooh films and tv episodes with solid plots, mild tension, excellent gags and effective emotional payoffs. It can be done. :)

By “crash doors”, I also mean show doors that open suddenly to simulate the effect without actual contact, as on Toad, Alice, Roger and Pinocchio. I’m definitely at the right park when I’m at DL. :)

And I like a lot of Knoebel’s Mansion, but it kind of falls apart toward the end. :D

SuddenStorm

• Big Thunder shouldn't be there. The smaller layout takes away any oomph the coaster has, and the Bryce Canyon hoodoos look for the mountain isn't nearly as effective as the Monument Valley of its siblings.

In regards to the track, it's literally the exact same as Walt Disney World's, though they're mirror images of each other. It's not smaller.

The Bryce Canyon rock work was very deliberately chosen to match the more charming aesthetic of Disneyland, vs the grand aesthetic of Walt Disney World. Not sure what you mean by "effective", since I think it's far more effective to tailor an attraction to its specific park, vs copy and pasting like Disney tends to do now.

SuddenStorm

Tokyo is the best HM. It's the original (or really close it to) WDW ride in perfect working order. You can actually see the graveyard ghosts (and they move too!), the audio is clear, they don't raise the ceiling in the stretch room without closing the door first, no CGI hitchhiking ghosts, cool queue without interactive junk, attic has older bride and pop up ghosts instead of Constance etc.

But they do the Holiday version, so it's not open year round. :(

Proof that just because there's a holiday overlay, doesn't mean the ride can't still be maintained. Disneyland's maintenance department should take notes.

Nextinline

If any classic attraction should be gutted and upgraded with modern technology it is Space Mountain. Would anyone be upset to see the ride system replaced with modern roller coaster amenities like a launch, reduced noise, improved fiber optic lighting effects, etc? Keep the classic feel, but with new track and star effects.

180º

In regards to the track, it's literally the exact same as Walt Disney World's, though they're mirror images of each other. It's not smaller.
After lift 1, in the place where every other Big Thunder has a u-turn and drop, WDW has a quick rise, 270° clockwise downward helix, 90° Left turn, and tilty straightaway through a flooded town. It only adds 5-10 seconds, but it does make the WDW layout unique. Factor in California’s lack of improved latter third of the ride found in Tokyo and Paris and I can see how some may find DL got the shortest end of the BTMRR stick.

The Bryce Canyon rock work was very deliberately chosen to match the more charming aesthetic of Disneyland, vs the grand aesthetic of Walt Disney World. Not sure what you mean by "effective", since I think it's far more effective to tailor an attraction to its specific park, vs copy and pasting like Disney tends to do now.
Totally agree! Our Big Thunder has a different character and it’s all the better for it. As to which one prefers, that’s subjective. Both fit their surroundings very well.

Rich T

If any classic attraction should be gutted and upgraded with modern technology it is Space Mountain. Would anyone be upset to see the ride system replaced with modern roller coaster amenities like a launch, reduced noise, improved fiber optic lighting effects, etc? Keep the classic feel, but with new track and star effects.
Disagree. Space Mountain in its present form is wonderful and much-loved by guests. It doesn't need a launch; the climb to the top is extremely entertaining. I'm not saying it's untouchable and should never, ever be updated; I'm just saying that it's such a great ride as is that there are other areas of DL (and nearly the entirety of DCA) in need of so much help that Disney shouldn't spend time or money fixing something that isn't broken.

fravit

I guess that could be part of the larger philosophical question...do you remove something just because a better version exists?

I think you and I are operating on two different extremes. I would counter your philosophical extreme with my own ... can we never remove something if it's deemed "important" enough?

Ideally, we'd want to live in a comfortable medium between these two ideas. But I get the impression you (and many others in this community) are more concerned about avoiding your extreme, where I'm more concerned about the other, and that's where the main difference in opinion lies.

mickEblu

I think you and I are operating on two different extremes. I would counter your philosophical extreme with my own ... can we never remove something if it's deemed "important" enough?

Ideally, we'd want to live in a comfortable medium between these two ideas. But I get the impression you (and many others in this community) are more concerned about avoiding your extreme, where I'm more concerned about the other, and that's where the main difference in opinion lies.

Well I’m still over here wondering what has exceeded POTC or HM at DL as complete experiences?

Nextinline

Disagree. Space Mountain in its present form is wonderful and much-loved by guests. It doesn't need a launch; the climb to the top is extremely entertaining. I'm not saying it's untouchable and should never, ever be updated; I'm just saying that it's such a great ride as is that there are other areas of DL (and nearly the entirety of DCA) in need of so much help that Disney shouldn't spend time or money fixing something that isn't broken.
I'm not necessarily advocating for a launch. I'm just not sure about the chain lift . I don't like hearing distinct roller coaster sounds inside a spaceship or in outer space. Regardless, could you agree that the effects would be improved by using fiber-optics? Imagine the Neverland scene but at 30mph.

And agreed that there are MUCH more important things to handle right now. This was a more reasonable response to gutting Pirates and Mansion.

Rich T

I'm not necessarily advocating for a launch. I'm just not sure about the chain lift . I don't like hearing distinct roller coaster sounds inside a spaceship or in outer space. Regardless, could you agree that the effects would be improved by using fiber-optics? Imagine the Neverland scene but at 30mph.

And agreed that there are MUCH more important things to handle right now. This was a more reasonable response to gutting Pirates and Mansion.
Yes, I'd definitely love to see fiber optics in Space Mtn. :) Even if it was just on the final lift-- hundreds of fiber optics hanging from the ceiling would be awesome.

PiratesMansion

Well I’m still over here wondering what has exceeded POTC or HM at DL as complete experiences?

Honestly, I'm trying to grapple with that myself. Haven't gotten to Shanghai yet, but looking at other Disney parks...
I'd argue HM at WDW overall exceeds DL's just by a hair. I have seen many argue that POTC in Paris exceeds DL's (which I don't agree with, but totally understand why many feel that way).

I'm a bit far removed from personal experience at this point and will remain so for a few months, but I could see people arguing that Sindbad, Journey, and TOT at DisneySea do so. All very immersive, well themed attractions that people would go nuts over in the states. Some might even argue with their IJA or Hunny Hunt. Certainly nothing else that existed in Paris in 2015 or HK in 2010 belongs in the conversation.

Is all of this predicated on Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates being by far the best attractions ever, or am I forgetting something else?

Universal: I could see people making the argument for Forbidden Journey, though I think it's a bit too excessive in its movements to be entirely successful. Nothing else really does in my eyes even though I love FL's Men in Black ride.

I know there are some spectacular attractions in Europe at non-Disney, non-Universal parks, but I see no evidence that that's what other people are referencing in this case.

So ultimately I'm just as lost as you.

I guess it comes down to what you value. To me Pirates and Mansion have value that far exceed the other attractions, when clearly for you they do not. Your untouchables (Tiki Room and Lincoln) are simply different from mine. Frankly they could probably bulldoze most of the rest of the park and I'd still keep coming if they kept Mansion and Pirates intact.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

This poster is very, very biased. It seems they prefer the DL version simply because DL is their favorite park. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve never visited every Disney park.

Correct me if I’m wrong.
I have been to Disneyworld. and I will say when it comes to the mansion I am biased. its the one ride I am truly biased on. I will admit that but it doesn't mean that I am wrong in general with it being superior for all the reasons I have stated and others have posted on this forum.

Californian Elitist

I have been to Disneyworld. and I will say when it comes to the mansion I am biased. its the one ride I am truly biased on. I will admit that but it doesn't mean that I am wrong in general with it being superior for all the reasons I have stated and others have posted on this forum.

Well you’re not wrong about how you feel because they’re your own feelings. However your opinion is not fact. It’s just your opinion. ;)

socalifornian

I like the wdw staircase scene. The first scene feels like a reimagined DL queue to me when you get off the stretching roomivator. MK periodically kills their stretch by leaving the door open like Bench said. They might as well just let the queue continuously pass when they do that so the ride loads faster like mermaid/buzz/etc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom