Unpopular opinions about the parks?

Mireille

Premium Member
Here's an unpopular opinion - we skip any show where the majority of it doesn't involve animatronics. We find them to be a waste of park time. 😄 No Festival of The Lion King for us.
I usually don't do shows, but I went with my mom last year and tried to factor in some sitting time since she's 70 and we went to a lot of shows I hadn't seen before. FotLK is really fun! And so are the Nemo and Frozen shows. It's a side of the park experience I never really paid attention to, other than the Raiders show, but I'll definitely be checking them out again next time I'm there. I can still see people not liking them much, but I'm glad I gave them a chance.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I like coasters for sure, but there a lot of mediocre RCs out there that are called good attractions just on the basis of them having a rollercoaster track. Like Guardians for example.
You are going to think I’m crazy just as much as my husband because:

I keep telling Alexa to ‘play music from 1978’ and ‘play music from 1985’ because the first songs are always September and Everybody wants to Rule the World. Makes me happy because reminds how fantastic Cosmic Rewind is.

That ride to me is hitting on all cylinders. You’re floating out in the universe. You’re skating like at a 1982 roller rink. Pure joy.

dreday3

You are going to think I’m crazy just as much as my husband because:

I keep telling Alexa to ‘play music from 1978’ and ‘play music from 1985’ because the first songs are always September and Everybody wants to Rule the World. Makes me happy because reminds how fantastic Cosmic Rewind is.

That ride to me is hitting on all cylinders. You’re floating out in the universe. You’re skating like at a 1982 roller rink. Pure joy.

It is SUCH a good ride. We had Tears for Fears. I felt like we were in a convertible on a Sunday drive through the galaxy! Listening to good music, wind blowing through my hair. Yeah, there was stuff going on, but no worries, the Guardians were handling it, keep on cruisin'! 😄

That ride is just a really good time.

Jrb1979

It is SUCH a good ride. We had Tears for Fears. I felt like we were in a convertible on a Sunday drive through the galaxy! Listening to good music, wind blowing through my hair. Yeah, there was stuff going on, but no worries, the Guardians were handling it, keep on cruisin'! 😄

That ride is just a really good time.
I bet if it was outside with no screens or the Guardians and just the music you would feel the same.

My point is that coasters don't work for story telling. They are meant to go fast not have slow spots to tell a story.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I bet if it was outside with no screens or the Guardians and just the music you would feel the same.

My point is that coasters don't work for story telling. They are meant to go fast not have slow spots to tell a story.
The story and theming really transport me. Like I’m just letting the universe take me on this joy ride. Hard to describe.

Jrb1979

The story and theming really transport me. Like I’m just letting the universe take me on this joy ride. Hard to describe.
I do know what you mean. I feel that should be left to dark rides.
For me a coaster is all about the forces. Like having that stomach into your chest feeling. The most amazing feeling I've had on a coaster was last weekend having a grey out on a coaster at Cedar Point. Launching from 0 to 70 mph in 3 seconds does it me a lot.

Laura

Premium Member
My unpopular opinion is to not use Genie+ and not visit any park before 6 pm. You’ll get the same amount of rides done from 6 pm till close as you will fighting the heat and crowds all day long on your phone managing Genie. Whatever line is the longest in each park is under a 15 minute wait 1 minute before park close (Flight of Passage is an exception but it dies down to 30 mins at park close).

I’ve lived here a year now and have never used Genie and almost never have waited in any line over 15 minutes the whole time I’ve lived here.

DisneyFanatic12

My unpopular opinion is to not use Genie+ and not visit any park before 6 pm. You’ll get the same amount of rides done from 6 pm till close as you will fighting the heat and crowds all day long on your phone managing Genie. Whatever line is the longest in each park is under a 15 minute wait 1 minute before park close (Flight of Passage is an exception but it dies down to 30 mins at park close).

I’ve lived here a year now and have never used Genie and almost never have waited in any line over 15 minutes the whole time I’ve lived here.
Shhh… don’t spoil the secrets!

Something I always enjoy though is walking from the Magic Kingdom to the TTC. It may or may not save you time on a given day, but it’s a super nice walk and you don’t have to wait in line…

SamMaxwell

-Starcruiser was great, but bad marketing and that ridiculous $5K price killed it.

-Characters and IPs do not belong in Epcot. "Space Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, etc." were fine but nothing else,
other than Figment, etc. If you want to meet Disney characters you can go literally anywhere else on property.
The IPs/characters in World Showcase are insulting to the pavilion host countries.
It's like a stubborn middle schooler who has to do a report on Napoleon, but he really likes wrestling,
so he makes a diorama of John Cena interviewing Napoleon or something. It's tacky.
Kick them out of the Contemporary too for that matter.

-Tron was a dumb idea to begin with. I don't know what anybody was expecting.
It's a short Vekoma motorbike coaster under an open dome with some twinkly lights just like its clone.
Everyone around here was acting like it would be the second coming of Horizons.

-Iger definitely has his weaknesses, but the late-Eisner era was DIRE. Like Warner under Zaslav.
At least current management knows that the product has to at least be "Disney-like", pandering aside.
Eisner in those days was "Scorched Earth! Walt's Dead! Let's be Viacom or something!"
If Eisner were still in charge we'd have a giant inflatable Hulk scaling Cinderella's castle and you could meet the Hulk in character at the Subway restaurant location inside the castle that has replaced Cinderella's Royal Table...

-They should charge $1 per person for a "Day Pass" to ride the Monorail (Or just add a "Monorail Tax" to parking)
(Whether or not they'd actually spend the revenue towards its maintenance is another story)

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Adults being a little too into WDW and going without kids is a little weird.

Adults participating in character meet and greets without kids is even weirder.

AK is wildly overrated.

WDW is, over all, only marginally better than Six Flags or other amusement venues.

Hanging out on a Disney board all week is a little weird. Don't care. :p
Six Flags has DC and WB, my two favourite things. I only like Disney for their sci-fi fare.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
-Iger definitely has his weaknesses, but the late-Eisner era was DIRE. Like Warner under Zaslav.
At least current management knows that the product has to at least be "Disney-like", pandering aside.
Eisner in those days was "Scorched Earth! Walt's Dead! Let's be Viacom or something!"
If Eisner were still in charge we'd have a giant inflatable Hulk scaling Cinderella's castle and you could meet the Hulk in character at the Subway restaurant location inside the castle that has replaced Cinderella's Royal Table...
I think you're blowing that way out of proportion. He made Alien Encounter and with it, S.I.R. He made Buzz. He made DisneyQuest. He made a whole fourth gate. Several fan-favourite attractions wouldn't have happened without him.

BlakeW39

Original Poster
-Starcruiser was great, but bad marketing and that ridiculous $5K price killed it.

-Characters and IPs do not belong in Epcot. "Space Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, etc." were fine but nothing else,
other than Figment, etc. If you want to meet Disney characters you can go literally anywhere else on property.
The IPs/characters in World Showcase are insulting to the pavilion host countries.
It's like a stubborn middle schooler who has to do a report on Napoleon, but he really likes wrestling,
so he makes a diorama of John Cena interviewing Napoleon or something. It's tacky.
Kick them out of the Contemporary too for that matter.

-Tron was a dumb idea to begin with. I don't know what anybody was expecting.
It's a short Vekoma motorbike coaster under an open dome with some twinkly lights just like its clone.
Everyone around here was acting like it would be the second coming of Horizons.

-They should charge $1 per person for a "Day Pass" to ride the Monorail (Or just add a "Monorail Tax" to parking)
(Whether or not they'd actually spend the revenue towards its maintenance is another story)

Eh, I think the main difference between Eisner and Iger is that Eisner had low lows, but high highs too. On one hand he was really the one who screwed EPCOT, not Iger. He also became really cheap towards the end and built stuff like DCA. On the other, he gave us DAK, which in my opinion is now WDW's best park, and a host of really good attractions. So he was mixed. IPger on the other hand never really did much that I approved of as a consumer. He's an empty suit all about brand and acquisition. He's the embodiment of what's wrong with entertainment in this day and age. Iger had low lows, but I definitely don't think he had high highs in terms of the parks. Even Pandora was not the smartest choice, it only worked because Rohde made it work.

Lilofan

Sweating like a wet sponge and cold drinks alcoholic or not is what makes me comfortable and cooling down. Having a big appetite in the parks in August is not.

DisneyHead123

Dole whips are just ice cream, there are better ice creams out there.

Dole whips are gross. 🤢

I worked at a frozen yogurt shop as a teen. I remember there was some kind of problematic state the machines would get into, where a light would flash red and the yogurt would come out tasting like mashed up bits of frozen milk. That’s kinda what Dole Whip reminds me of. Not ice based enough to be a shaved ice and not creamy enough to be ice cream. I’ve never understood the appeal.

BlakeW39

Original Poster
Iger just finished what he started.

Yeah. I mean Iger would have thrown IP at it regardless, but Eisner's the one who really tore out all the good attractions. He even wanted to tear out SSE. In general I just don't think he had much of an appreciate for that park, he wanted more thrills and "fun" rides that teens like his son would enjoy.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Yeah. I mean Iger would have thrown IP at it regardless, but Eisner's the one who really tore out all the good attractions. He even wanted to tear out SSE. In general I just don't think he had much of an appreciate for that park, he wanted more thrills and "fun" rides that teens like his son would enjoy.
He didn't tear out Body Wars. Also, Test Track and Mission Space are classics. What would he have replaced SSE with?? What was behind the JIYI revamp??

Jrb1979

He didn't tear out Body Wars. Also, Test Track and Mission Space are classics. What would he have replaced SSE with?? What was behind the JIYI revamp??
I would take Horizons and World of Motion over either of those.

Kodak not willing to spend the money is the reason JIYI is the way it is.

A lot the reason for a lot the changes to Epcot is sponsors not willing to spend money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom