Unpopular opinion: the new lighting on Spaceship Earth is bad

Tom Morrow

Original Poster

Insert meme of Clint Eastwood saying get off my lawn. Has the parks done anything right since the 80’s?

View attachment 746184
Absolutely, even recently. You guys see so much criticism on here that you're too quick to assume that every poster who has any criticism ONLY has criticism to offer. Beyond that, I DID say "unpopular opinion", and in general, discussions generate from discourse, not from everyone posting that they all agree.

Also, I am in my 30's. 😵
If anyone wants an example of how they could be used to actually enhance, here you go. And this captures the effect just seconds after it was really good and worked with the flood lighting to emphasize the surface texture.

View attachment 746205

This is a great example demonstrating how the lights could enhance the look of the structure without being the main visual. It goes back to what's already been said - the "idling" brightness should be dimmer, and the full brightness should be reserved for the shows.

Disstevefan1

When I first saw the Points of Light lighting on Spaceship Earth, I thought it was pretty neat. But, as time goes on, and the longer it sticks around, the more I don't like it and think that my initial reaction to it was more due to seeing something new on Spaceship Earth rather than if it's actually appropriate for Spaceship Earth.

Why? Several reasons:

1. It turns Spaceship Earth into a flashy carnival ride. It's really no different than the lighting display on, for example, the Starflyer at Icon Park on International Drive. Tons of bright LED modules dotting the entire structure doing garish, flashy synchronized displays.

2. The beauty of Spaceship Earth is not that it's a sphere, but the texture of the triangle pattern and how that bends and reflects the light shining on it in different ways. Up close, the lights completely overshadow the beauty of the structure, and from further away, you no longer see the texture at all, only the dotted lights.

Basically, elaborate LED light displays are a dime a dozen, but a 180 foot geodesic sphere isn't. The emphasis should be on the structure.

I have wondered if a happy medium could be reached. Perhaps by reducing the brightness of the lights so that they do not overpower the light reflecting off of the structure.
Its OK for you to be wrong on this one. ;)

You can look on the bright side. SSE will be dark when SSE is closed for its three year renovation.

JohnD

Maybe if they took a "hybrid" approach. It's lit with the classic flood lighting until the beacons come on for a show. When the show is over, go back to the flood lighting.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m usually pretty traditional when it comes to the parks but I like the lights. It makes SSE and that section of the park come alive with kinetic energy.

I do get the nostalgia of how SSE looked with the traditional lighting, I really liked that too. And I always LOVED the laser projected globe. Ahhh. The good ole days.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I’m usually pretty traditional when it comes to the parks but I like the lights. It makes SSE and that section of the park come alive with kinetic energy.

I do get the nostalgia of how SSE looked with the traditional lighting, I really liked that too. And I always LOVED the laser projected globe. Ahhh. The good ole days.

The added kinetics is a good point - all of Epcot could stand to have some kinetic visuals. That’s why I’m okay with the lights sticking around but being reduced in brightness.

yensidtlaw1969

If anyone wants an example of how they could be used to actually enhance, here you go. And this captures the effect just seconds after it was really good and worked with the flood lighting to emphasize the surface texture.

View attachment 746205
perfection GIF

Simply I just love Spaceship Earth and love all the various lighting used to show us different views of the structure. There is a time and place for everything, but you cannot deny. this is just one beautiful structure that I simply adore every time that I go to EPCOT. It's amazing.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I like the show but I agree they should only be on for showtime plus it spoils the show. Sadly I predict they'll fall apart like the Fountain of Nations in the future.

Winter

I didn't like Spaceship Earth (the ride not the ball itself)'s lighting either when I rode it yesterday, but thats because the lights went on like a quarter through the ride for some reason and never turned off 💀

Last edited:

muddyrivers

I didn't like Spaceship Earth (the ride not the ball itself)'s lighting either when I rode it yesterday, but thats because the lights went on like a quarter through the ride for some reason and never turned off 💀
And you didn't whip out your camera and take pictures of everything around you like the rest of us would have? :p

RoadiJeff

Did you notify a cast member after you got off? Unless someone tells them things like this they don't know there's a problem and those lights remain on. I rode it yesterday (10/30) and everything seemed fine.

Disstevefan1

The OP is allowed to be wrong that is what makes these boards fun. The new lighting is Great and makes SSE an attraction both on the inside and the outside.

My wish would have been to have kept the fountain of nations, updated the fountain and lighting tech with the addition of a water screen IN ADDITION to the new SSE lights.

What a show that would have been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom