Unpopular opinion: the new lighting on Spaceship Earth is bad

JIMINYCR

Literally not true at all. Your comment is disproven by a simple Google image search - "spaceship earth night"

*Applaud Disney when they do things correctly and criticize them when they make hasty changes that go against the original spirit and intention of the park.

I even said I'd be okay with them keeping the lights but dimming them so they don't drown out the beauty of SSE itself.
A view close up or walking towards the sphere closing in on it then yes. From a great distance, as guests are viewing the patterns then no.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I have absolutely no idea what this means.
Increasing the number of image elements to match or exceed the Sphere in Las Vegas would substantially increase its energy consumption. Spaceship Earth has 1,861 each with six sets of RGBW emitters. The sphere has 580,000 square feet of programmable LED panels and uses 96 GWh of electricity per year. The Spheres resolution is much greater at 16K-by-16K picture resolution

Nothing has changed the structural appearance of the Buckminster Fuller sphere, what is currently being argued is one opinion of how they perceive the added illumination. Every change has an impact either on guest approval or cost so the company has to find an agreeable way to make the majority at least ok with the decision. Given that no two people have the same physiology that creates their own perception of stimulus there are going to be differences in sensibilities.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Personally I think the gimmick will not age well and I think the lighting was more elegant.

It's an example of something that can easily play itself out...

Agreed, and this is something that can be negated somewhat by not having the LED lights very bright all the time.

prberk

As cool as the current LEDs can look, I do miss the traditional lighting package from the days of yore…..

The color scheme that was purposely designed to simulate a Florida sunset.
True
I remember it being beautiful at night and reminding me of Buck Rogers in a way also.

eliza61nyc

Personally I think the gimmick will not age well and I think the lighting was more elegant.

It's an example of something that can easily play itself out...
True but the beauty of it is that it can easily be changed.
Now I will say the op gets a lot deeper into things that I do but no way imo does it now resemble a carnival attraction. If the premise that anything with brightly colored led lights would fit the bill

20230906_212040.jpg

20230906_212231.jpg

I like it without lights at all but I did think it looked pretty.

The beauty of the structure is not lost. IMO

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A view close up or walking towards the sphere closing in on it then yes. From a great distance, as guests are viewing the patterns then no.
What in the blue hell are you talking about? The patterns of the surface are visible, even from the parking lot. Unless the LED pucks are a-blazing, then you can't see a damn thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom