Unofficial Guide

UPbeekeeper

Due to the recommendations of a few of you here, I ordered the 2013 edition of The Unofficial Guide to WDW. I just received it in the mail yesterday, and honestly, I can't put it down. It answers so many questions. While I've been to WDW numerous times over the years, our upcoming trip in 2013 will be our first time staying on property and also our first time using table service restaurants, so it definitely puts a different twist on things. I've had so many questions. Everyone here has been so gracious in providing me with so much information, but it's also nice to have something right on my desk that I can reference. I'm a real book nerd anyway, so anything about WDW in book form makes me a little giddy. :D

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who recommended this guide and also to give my own recommendation for guide, if you have lots of questions. It certainly can't replace the interaction here on this site by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a wonderful back up plan when you can't get here.

I also pre-ordered the 2013 Passporter, but I won't get that until December. This was also recommended by a few here, so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with that as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I love those books too. Half the fun is anticipating and planning for the trip. The last one I bought was 2011 so I am due for a new version. I also love having the touringplans.com access with the crowd calendars and touring plans.

Upvote 0

MorganKelly

Just an FYI --- the UG is available in a Kindle edition too. But there is no table of contents, making it difficult to use purely as a reference guide while at WDW. Still fun to read though!

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Just an FYI --- the UG is available in a Kindle edition too. But there is no table of contents, making it difficult to use purely as a reference guide while at WDW. Still fun to read though!

I got 2012 edition on the kindle. It had the ToC with hyperlinks to the sections...weird.

Due to the recommendations of a few of you here, I ordered the 2013 edition of The Unofficial Guide to WDW. I just received it in the mail yesterday, and honestly, I can't put it down. It answers so many questions.

We just ordered our 2013 today! Same here. I couldn't put our first UG down.

Upvote 0

bgoebel

I preordered and am expecting mine any day now :) shipped to friends house who has amazon prime! I've been counting down the days and absolutely love the UG! Bob and Len the authors don't just write description its all based on hard data and real people trialing and adds in feedback from Disney addicts like us! you should listen to wdw today podcast too! Len (one of co authors is a co host)and I've learned even more about wdw

Upvote 0

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Your going to LOVE staying on property for the fist time! Nothing compares (at least to me). If I may ask, which resort did u pick? Any table service restaurants ur particularly excited about?

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

I've booked for 2013, our 8th on site trip since 2005, all over 10 days. Would I gain anything from these books? I don't want to get them and not find out anything new,but am always game to find out more about wdw.

Upvote 0

UPbeekeeper

Original Poster
Your going to LOVE staying on property for the fist time! Nothing compares (at least to me). If I may ask, which resort did u pick? Any table service restaurants ur particularly excited about?

After many changes, we finally decided on the Caribbean Beach Resort. As far as restaurants, my choices seem to change every few months, and I'm sure will continue to change up until I make those ADRs and I am forced to finally make up my mind. :) As of right now, my list is as follows, in no particular order:

'Ohana
Chef Mickey's
T-Rex
Planet Hollywood (This is the one most subject to change)
Sci-Fi
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
Garden Grill
Teppan Edo
Tony's Town Square

Some back up choices in case I can't get the ADRs I want include:

Rose & Crown
Liberty Tree Tavern
Kona Cafe

I'm sure whatever we end up with, my family will just love!

Upvote 0

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
CBR is very fun. They have an excellent pool. Your TS restaurant choices look awesome. I would say put Rose and Crown on the primary list. Having lunch on their patio which overlooks World Showcase Lagoon is a must! And the "Hat Lady" who sings and plays the piano inside is amazing. I wonder if the unofficial guide mentions her?

Upvote 0

luv

I've booked for 2013, our 8th on site trip since 2005, all over 10 days. Would I gain anything from these books? I don't want to get them and not find out anything new,but am always game to find out more about wdw.
I can't imagine that you wouldn't learn some new thing from the UG. It is just a monster of WDW info. There is no other book that has more or better info.

The only book I'd say can give you something the UG can't is Disney's book - Birnbaum's Official Guide. It won't give you better planning info. In fact, the planning advice is sometimes just wrong. But it is very adorable with colors and cute pictures and stuff. The Birnbaum book is great for adding peppiness, but the UG is the gold standard. You need not buy another book for info.

The Passporter is very pro-Disney, but lacks the adorableness of the Birnbaum. It has some good info, but doesn't come close to the exhaustive coverage of the UG. They do a nice job with hotel info, but between the UG, this site and allears, you can get all that (and more) for free. Frankly, I'd skip it.

People mention The Complete Guide a lot and while I think it is an interesting enough book with great pics, it isn't too hot for planning, either.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The Complete Guide is goof for pictures and ride specifics, though I don't agree with many of their ratings.

This year's UOG had some big changes. Via Napoli went from 100% rating to just 81%. All the Disney Resorts went up in their satisfaction from customer report.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I have found the ratings to be dead accurate -- restaurants in particular wax and wane over the years...not at all suprised Via Napoli went down...
UG is absolutely the best guide to WDW out there bar none -- there are others that are prettier, or good to keep your tickets and mementos (Passporter), but UG is the best for the real information. Also, the touring plans are totally accurate. Follow them, and you will do everything.

Upvote 0

UPbeekeeper

Original Poster
Also, the touring plans are totally accurate. Follow them, and you will do everything.

I'm very curious about the touring plans. I consider myself a bit of a pro in getting around the parks, but I'm seriously considering trying the touring plans for this trip to see how more "expertly" I can get around, making the best use of my time. I generally prefer a less rigid approach to experiencing the parks, but I think the touring plans could be a very interesting experiment for this trip.

I will absolutely use their suggested touring plan for IOA....I haven't been there since the HP addition, so I know that has probably changed the entire dynamics of that park, since my last visit in 2008.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom