Universe of Energy observation 4/24

thewhitequeen

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Ellen does a lot of promotion for Universal on her show. I also noticed a bit of a run down appearance last October. I have always enjoyed this ride, a real classic epcot experience.

I was going to mention that as well. Though, I'm pretty sure Ellen didn't sign a contract where she could never go to Universal. Plus, the ride is older than dirt so if in fact she did sign some contract with Disney it's probably expired by now.

JEANYLASER

very interesting info! I really wanted the old Universe of Energy ride back including the preshow! Yes Including "Energy makes the world goes round" and the Theme song "Universe of Energy!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I doubt FW could cope with loosing this people eater. I`ve been surprised by the lines for it my last few visits.

Did Knee

I had to put in my 2 cents worth on this. I rode Universe of Energy before Ellen and Bill were installed, and remember being blown away by the dinosaurs, like being transported back into the Jurassic. There was most of a decade before I rode again, and in my mind, Bill and Ellen screaming to each other totally ruined the effect. Instead of inspiring awe, I felt like I was in a bad scene in a sitcom. IF they did go back to the old show (I doubt this would happen), I for one would be ecstatic.

Prototype82

As for the maintenance, unfortunately, the World has quite a problem with that in all the parks. :/ Peter Pan's Flight needs cleaning badly, Soarin's movie is getting pretty gritty-looking, half the wall projectors in Muppets are broken, and apparently It's Tough to be a Bug has been having trouble with Hopper. It's quite sad, really. :(
Just when I though Disney was turning over a new leaf in terms of upkeep...

JWG

I doubt FW could cope with loosing this people eater. I`ve been surprised by the lines for it my last few visits.

I'd agree. Until you get Wonders of Life back online with something I don't see how you can take down another pavilion (less maybe Imagination which seems to have 150 total guests a day :D) long-term without greatly impacting the park. Especially Universe of Energy which consumes so many people.

RSoxNo1

The Pavilion is called the Universe of Energy Pavilion, the attraction is called Ellen's Energy Adventure, perhaps this is the difference?

bluelobster

Original Poster
The Pavilion is called the Universe of Energy Pavilion, the attraction is called Ellen's Energy Adventure, perhaps this is the difference?

Every time I'd ever been to the attraction in the past, the cast members would always throw in at least a few mentions of the Ellen title...this is the first time I've been there that it wasn't even mentioned a single time. In fact, at one point a CM started to say the title, but then quickly corrected himself. The end result was something along the lines of "Ell...uh...The Universe of Energy".

Expo_Seeker40

Considering TDO hates spending money, I realistically see a new film being shot. The only major thing I could see happening is them gutting the pavilion and using it's massive square footage for a new attraction/thrill ride involving energy.....if they wanted to spend money.

Did Knee

What if they do a new show, maybe employ some of the animatronics they use at the Dinosaur attraction in AK? Couldn't you have a trip through the Jurassic that isn't a snooze in any way?

simba1994

Here's an idea: Place individual touch screens on the back of every seat and a tiny camera that takes your picture in the beginning of the show. Then, instead of a grand finale film in Theater 1, they can just show you a Adobe flash clip on the touch screen of your face on a cartoon body. You would be using energy-efficient CFLs instead of incandescent bulbs.

Then they can do away with any film in the finale, just leave the theater dark and add some black-light sensitive triangles to the ceiling. I think that fits the budget...

Hmmm... wait... I think this idea has already been taken...

nandoq

As in a complete teardown, or perhaps a renovation. The movie is entertaining, but its very outdated. At least Kramer is still holding his own in it...

Exactly. I would think now is a good time to refresh the content of the ride, given the greater emphasis on "going green" and the new developments on alternate sources of energy. Gas prices were a fraction of what they are today when Ellen first debuted.

sWANNISAX

I was at the UoE on Friday and didn't notice that change but perhaps it was because I was half asleep by 3 minutes into the pre show and nodding off during the ride portion. There was actually someone laying down on the bench behind me.

I hadn't been on the ride in about 5 years, and i go every year to WDW. I think its time for a replacement. Even though TDO is so against spending. The Dinosaurs at this point are embarrassingly fake and the Ellen animatronic doesn't even look like her. I swear its a male animatronic.

While a classic this attraction I think is currently the worst offender in FW, even worse that Imagination dare i say it.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I have to admit that we noticed the same thing last time we rode Energy. It did sound like the cast members were going out of their way NOT to say "Ellen's Energy Adventure" and instead say "Universe of Energy." It stood out in my mind, as it did in my girlfriend's, who really doesn't pay attention to details like me when it comes to EPCOT. So, we both noticed the lack of EEA and the emphasis of UoE by the cast members.

I agree with the post about how the dino scene used to be awe inspiring. The original show, for all the complaining about how it was boring, was at least neat to sit through. The dinos were cooler, the energy information was actually noticible, the lasers/projections on the mirrors at the end were cool, and the ride explained how the solar panels on the roof help power the ride. Not even a mention of that little design feature in EEA. I definitely don't want to see the whole attraction shuttered, but it is time for Ellen and the comedy to make their exit. So much has happened to energy since EEA first debued in the mid 1990s. I know there are ways to keep the show fun and interesting without the need for a comedien and a script which describes very little about energy.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Ellen's popular and many people that go to it don't know how old it is. It really is a huge attraction and takes in a lot of people. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney put it in seasonal operation, but Epcot's Future World is lacking attractions. Nobody cares about the following: Circle of Life, 3/4 of imagination pavilion, and a whole WoL pavilion. I'd really love to see a brand new cranium command show with 2 similar theaters, and probably expand the theater, that way the WoL pavilion could just house Cranium Command on one side and Body Wars on the other leaving room for a waiting room for CC and a little bit more of an expansion queue from BW.

Don't reply if you're going to be negative, I personally love my idea! :D

daikonjam

!

Can't people just get over the fact that you're NOT going to go backwards in time? WDW is about progress, as a whole, and with the exception of captain EO (which was brought back because of growing popularity and rosy retrospection of Micheal Jackson) Disney brings in NEW things. They don't revert back to past versions of rides.

That being said, i only do Ellen's energy adventure maybe once every couple years, and the only reason i don't enjoy it is because it's too long. If they reduced the ride to a solid 10 minutes (15 with preshow) I would be happy. I like ellen, not much more than the next person, but she herself is a likeable celebrity, with not so much of a bad rep.

Obviously, this attraction is bound for the seasonal label, ala sounds dangerous. It's OK, but no one really goes to the park and says LET'S DO UNIVERSE OF ENERGY FIRST! It's almost always like... "oh yeah... that ride exists and it's hot... wanna kill time until our next fastpass?" I wouldn't mind an update at all, I honestly NEVER mind updates or new rides, because, like i said, IMHO, that's what Disney is all about.

Prototype82

How I'd do it: Digital Projectors. New Film. New CG (I'm talking gorgeous comedy-free action-packed yet intellectual sequences). Additional dinosaur animatronics. New music score. Cleaned up ride system. Oh yeah...and 3D. Bam. Epic. Not to mention Morgan Freeman's voice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom