Universe of Energy Not That Bad??

POLY LOVER

An update refresh would do just fine. The theatre tech is great with the moving cars etc. it's still relevant actually back when it was created solar etc. was in its infancy and now more in use and realistic.

copcarguyp71

Riding the same keystone attraction in a park that is supposed to be about the future for 19 years...yeah it's bad. Watching the show quality decline on many repeated rides over that timeframe...worse.

I understand that those that have not ridden it umpteen times will get a good entertainment factor out of it as it has a good initial impact but for my day in the parks it is a good break in AC....nothing more and nothing less at this point.

jaklgreen

I don't think it is as outdated as it probably should be considering how old it is. Jeopardy is still on and Ellen is very popular, so my teenagers know about both and actually look forward to and ask to ride it. I think it could use a bit of an update but it is still relevant to today. I agree that the issue is more along the line that technology has become so wide spread that anyone with a cell phone has instant entertainment so it is hard to keep people's interest.

Miss Heinous

I would love it if they brought back the multi-panel screen preshow and songs. I would have the ride be hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye (again); and have the songs be sung by Garfunkel and Oats. Just imagine how glorious it would be...

graphite1326

It, like it's predecessor, is just ok. It needs to be updated. It needs to confront climate change. It needs to have a complete change, dinosaurs need to go, and it needs to focus on renewable energy. Bill Nye should be given free reign to recreate the ride from scratch. Neither the current version, nor the original, were great attractions, and they should be.
Confronting climate change, since it raises political issues, would be a bad idea since about half of the people in the US, depending on which study you read, don't believe it's a problem. 90% where I live (coal country). I think they should just stick with renewable energy. An update would be nice. The children today don't know who Bill and Ellen are. I like the dinosaurs but they need to be updated due to today's advances in this type of technology.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Confronting climate change, since it raises political issues, would be a bad idea since about half of the people in the US, depending on which study you read, don't believe it's a problem. 90% where I live (coal country). I think they should just stick with renewable energy. An update would be nice. The children today don't know who Bill and Ellen are. I like the dinosaurs but they need to be updated due to today's advances in this type of technology.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"

The fact that any part of the population does not believe in it is exactly why EPCOT should educate about it. I strongly feel that the original builders of the park would have taken it on had it been this well known and scientifically proven back in the late 70s.

Tony the Tigger

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"

The fact that any part of the population does not believe in it is exactly why EPCOT should educate about it. I strongly feel that the original builders of the park would have taken it on had it been this well known and scientifically proven back in the late 70s.

Bingo!

graphite1326

Yeah but back in the 70's those scientist were so sure we were going into an ice age. Let's not go into it here.

DisneyJunkie

I hate Ellen DeGeneres. The attempts at humor in the show just don't work. The animatronic dinos have needed to be updated for a very long time now. The concept behind the pavilion is one that still works, but the show and overall experience are definitely in need of re-imagineering.

Hockey89

I did not mean for this to turn into any sort of political debate and get this thread locked. Yes, I used well understood colloquial terms to describe my thoughts. I did not say some variation of "Human caused climate change" or use Renewable Energy to imply that somehow we're looking for ways to break the law of conservation of energy and create energy out of nothing.
I mean to say that in the Epcot Center of old, an issue like human caused climate change would not be something that would have been skirted around to avoid some people's political feelings being hurt. Having Bill Nye sidestep an issue in which he is extremely passionate about goes against what Epcot would have done as intended by the early park developers.

As to making an entertaining and educational attraction, well, I waved my hands at a potential solution here a while ago, (also gave my thoughts on the attraction and it's predecessor here). With very little thought this morning, I was able to expand the idea into a more fully fleshed out idea for an attraction, which I'll likely add on to my manifesto later today. If some internet nobody can come up with an idea that (IMO) sounds both entertaining and educational, then the people who get paid to do this job and actually understand the technological limitations should be able to do so as well.
And that's why they should not have a ride about it because it will turn into this....

Hockey89

I hate Ellen DeGeneres. The attempts at humor in the show just don't work. The animatronic dinos have needed to be updated for a very long time now. The concept behind the pavilion is one that still works, but the show and overall experience are definitely in need of re-imagineering.
The real stories about her make her look like the biggest jerk around.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
And that's why they should not have a ride about it because it will turn into this....
I do not want to have a political discussion on a WDWMagic thread and get it locked, therefore I won't. It is against ToS to start a nasty political debate, so I will not get into it.
That does not mean that EPCOT should shy away from topics that might offend people who believe things that are not scientifically accurate. EPCOT in fact should do exactly that.
An example where they currently do just that:
"It takes 15,000 years to come up with the next bright idea: recording our knowledge on cave walls. There is only one small problem, when we move, the recorded knowledge stayed behind."

This does not say "It takes somewhere between 1 year if you believe the Earth is only 6000 years old and 15,000 years if you believe the Earth is multiple millions of years old..."

Hockey89

I do not want to have a political discussion on a WDWMagic thread and get it locked, therefore I won't. It is against ToS to start a nasty political debate, so I will not get into it.
That does not mean that EPCOT should shy away from topics that might offend people who believe things that are not scientifically accurate. EPCOT in fact should do exactly that.
An example where they currently do just that:
"It takes 15,000 years to come up with the next bright idea: recording our knowledge on cave walls. There is only one small problem, when we move, the recorded knowledge stayed behind."

This does not say "It takes somewhere between 1 year if you believe the Earth is only 6000 years old and 15,000 years if you believe the Earth is multiple millions of years old..."
You are the smartest guy in the room....

BoarderPhreak

Not that bad - for a nap. ;) The original incarnation was much better, IMO. I'm not an Ellen fan - or a fan of the "refurb." A shame, as this used to be a pretty neat pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom