Universe of Energy Not That Bad??

Kman

Original Poster
We just went on the UoE at EPCOT last weekend as we hadn't gone on it in a few years. Now, before everyone freaks out, I am the first person to admit that this ride is far from perfect or that it doesn't need an update. It does. What I suggesting is that it isn't as bad as everyone claims it is- at least in my opinion. The opening video needs an update but mostly because of video quality and new information. The CONCEPT using Ellen, Bill Nye and Jeopardy game show with Alex Trebek. I think is still very relevant and funny. I found myself laughing at times- I think Ellen is quite humerous and I really liked the concept. Video quality aside, the information in the opening show is somewhat dated and could be enhanced with the new information we have in 2015. That being said, the information is not THAT out of date. If I think about how slow we have been to accept renewable energy sources I didn't find it totally antiquated.

The ride portion was not terrible either in my opinion. I did find the "hissing" sound of the one dinosaur in the first scene annoying and certainly throughout they could tighten up the animatronics but I thought it was actually ok. The fact that the snake like creature and Ellen scene was missing was actually not a huge deal to me. She mentions it in dialogue later on and frankly I found that to be enough. By not being there it removes some of the "corniness" of the ride. I still like the radio station portion although I would agree it is a little long and something could be done there to improve its effectiveness. Throughout the ride portion there are times where new information would be good and the ending video could be much better with better resolution and new information although, again, I would not say it was terrible.

What I would love to see is an upgrade including upgraded film quality and information and a general "clean up" but staying with the general concept. I like Ellen, Bill Nye and Alex Trebek and still find them relevant and funny!

Am I the only one?

afar28

I don't exactly think many people think it is terrible, just it could be sooo much better with a proper refreshing and the effects actually being 100% fixed. Unfortunately I do not see that even being put into consideration for maybe another decade.

kap91

I actually love it - one of my favorite rides ever - the score is awesome, ride system unique, it's funny, and I wish more rides were 45 minutes long.

That being said, and this is coming from someone who generally thinks all the rhetoric here about bad maintenance is overblown, the sheer amount of stuff broken at UOE is abominable and really does affect the show. Combine that with the fact that both Jeopardy, Bill Nye, and Ellen are becoming increasingly irrellevant (even if my generation kisses the ground Nye walks on) I think is sadly time to see an update.

I also think that sadly, people don't really have the patience anymore (not entirely sure they ever did) for a long, slow gentle ride that is as informative as it is fun. If the goal of Epcot is to educate while capturing the imagination, UOE is falling flat.

I'll be really sad to see it go - I adore the ride system and the beyond beautiful score. I love the epicness of the entire journey. I will miss the joke about no eating or flash photography in the dream. But I think it's time.

TB4244

I still love this ride too, its a must do for me on every visit to Epcot, much to my wife's annoyance. But she doesn't complain too much as we get a much needed sit down with AC for 45 minutes.

I think content remains humorous and is certainly still topical, and the actual ride system itself never fails to impress me. I do agree that it could use some much needed TLC, and an overhaul would be welcome but I certainly don't want to see it go the way of the WoL pavilion.

Tony the Tigger

We just went on the UoE at EPCOT last weekend as we hadn't gone on it in a few years. Now, before everyone freaks out, I am the first person to admit that this ride is far from perfect or that it doesn't need an update. It does. What I suggesting is that it isn't as bad as everyone claims it is- at least in my opinion. The opening video needs an update but mostly because of video quality and new information. The CONCEPT using Ellen, Bill Nye and Jeopardy game show with Alex Trebek. I think is still very relevant and funny. I found myself laughing at times- I think Ellen is quite humerous and I really liked the concept. Video quality aside, the information in the opening show is somewhat dated and could be enhanced with the new information we have in 2015. That being said, the information is not THAT out of date. If I think about how slow we have been to accept renewable energy sources I didn't find it totally antiquated.

The ride portion was not terrible either in my opinion. I did find the "hissing" sound of the one dinosaur in the first scene annoying and certainly throughout they could tighten up the animatronics but I thought it was actually ok. The fact that the snake like creature and Ellen scene was missing was actually not a huge deal to me. She mentions it in dialogue later on and frankly I found that to be enough. By not being there it removes some of the "corniness" of the ride. I still like the radio station portion although I would agree it is a little long and something could be done there to improve its effectiveness. Throughout the ride portion there are times where new information would be good and the ending video could be much better with better resolution and new information although, again, I would not say it was terrible.

What I would love to see is an upgrade including upgraded film quality and information and a general "clean up" but staying with the general concept. I like Ellen, Bill Nye and Alex Trebek and still find them relevant and funny!

Am I the only one?

I have always liked it – especially the dinosaur part. Side note – I DVR jeopardy every single day and I am definitely a fan of Ellen and Bill Nye.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It, like it's predecessor, is just ok. It needs to be updated. It needs to confront climate change. It needs to have a complete change, dinosaurs need to go, and it needs to focus on renewable energy. Bill Nye should be given free reign to recreate the ride from scratch. Neither the current version, nor the original, were great attractions, and they should be.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It, like it's predecessor, is just ok. It needs to be updated. It needs to confront climate change. It needs to have a complete change, dinosaurs need to go, and it needs to focus on renewable energy. Bill Nye should be given free reign to recreate the ride from scratch. Neither the current version, nor the original, were great attractions, and they should be.

Confronting climate change and focusing on renewable energy is going to make it a good attraction? That would make it a bigger snooze-fest than it already is.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Confronting climate change and focusing on renewable energy is going to make it a good attraction? That would make it a bigger snooze-fest than it already is.
Only if done poorly would it.
It is possible to make an attraction that both hits important topics and entertains at the same time. They used to do it all the time at Epcot. Sadly, it seems that they've given up on wanting to try to do both and have somehow decided to do neither.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Climate and geography change is something that been going on for quite a few million years, isolating time references to support any particular political agenda is inaccurate. Show us how people have actually impacted continental drift, solar cycles, vulcanism, and glacial/interglacial periods and that would be a more accurate depiction.

"Renewable Energy" is a political term as to the best of our current understanding energy can only change form. Chemical to kinetic, mechanical or electrical to heat, etc.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I did not mean for this to turn into any sort of political debate and get this thread locked. Yes, I used well understood colloquial terms to describe my thoughts. I did not say some variation of "Human caused climate change" or use Renewable Energy to imply that somehow we're looking for ways to break the law of conservation of energy and create energy out of nothing.
I mean to say that in the Epcot Center of old, an issue like human caused climate change would not be something that would have been skirted around to avoid some people's political feelings being hurt. Having Bill Nye sidestep an issue in which he is extremely passionate about goes against what Epcot would have done as intended by the early park developers.

As to making an entertaining and educational attraction, well, I waved my hands at a potential solution here a while ago, (also gave my thoughts on the attraction and it's predecessor here). With very little thought this morning, I was able to expand the idea into a more fully fleshed out idea for an attraction, which I'll likely add on to my manifesto later today. If some internet nobody can come up with an idea that (IMO) sounds both entertaining and educational, then the people who get paid to do this job and actually understand the technological limitations should be able to do so as well.

willtravel

I would be concerned about what they would update it too. Whenever I hear update Energy pavilion , I think of the Imagination or Wonders of Life pavilion... Of course, some would argue anything is better than what is there.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I would be concerned about what they would update it too. Whenever I hear update Energy pavilion , I think of the Imagination or Wonders of Life pavilion... Of course, some would argue anything is better than what is there.
They'd have good reason to worry. As you said, look at Imagination, look at The Seas, look at what they are doing to Norway. They haven't had the best track record in the past in updating attractions.

SparklinDiamond

I love this ride. It is something totally different to all the others and the idea of a moving theatre style ride is fab. I agree that it is outdated and would love to see some kind of update but would love love love them to stick with Ellen and Bill Nye.

acishere

It is an enjoyable ride that has just become out of date. The total lack of upkeep is obvious even to new guests and that is what hurts the ride's popularity. The choice is probably either this current form or another closed building, so I'll still pick this sad dilapidated version for now. Maybe while doing Finding Dory someone can secretly recruit Ellen to campaign for a sequel with updated information and a smaller cell phone.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Yeah it's one of those few rides where I love it so much (the score, the humor, the experience) but really feel it needs to go. It's a strange situation because 90% of Disney's attractions are timeless to me, but it's time is up.

KikoKea

While I would hate to see another closed pavilion, the UoE has become an AC break for us- but only if we are very hot and very tired. I doubt if it will be changed or updated anytime soon since it is a low priority. But, I have hopes that after planned work is done at the other parks, they will turn their attention to Epcot and make good use of new tech . Really, so much of the park needs an overhaul/refurbishment and WDC has to know it. I think it will come...eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom