Universe of Energy HELP !!!!

Atta83

I wish they would take out Ellen and Bill Nye the Science guy. It was great while it lasted with them, get soem one new in...

Atta

isnet396

Originally posted by The Mom
They may be refering to 1.the old version; it did have the aroma of burning tar and I suppose some people might react to the fumes. 2. the dinosaurs drip water on you..it does smell a little odd, they might be concerned about cleanliness. 3. there is a lot of fog around. Some people might be bothered by breathing in the CO2 used to make it?

All of the above are just guesses on my part. I've never had any problems, nor has my asthmatic daughter.

Also, this is the first time I've ever heard about any possible problems.

The only smell ever used, to my knowledge, was known as "Damp Earth", which used to be prominant in the intitial "holding area" of the diorama. It's just like any other scent used in an attraction, such as Loranges, or the Burning of Rome.

Spitting water is nothing new from an animatronic. Its nothing different than on any other attraction where water is projected onto guests.

The fog machines have sadly been turned off, to my knowledge, due to cost-cutting maneuvers. Either way, fog is essentially mist, which is water, which is far from carbon dioxide. I doubt that disney would ever try to put their guests at risk in their attractions. That's food service's job. ;)

Ian

Woody13

Originally posted by isnet396
The fog machines have sadly been turned off, to my knowledge, due to cost-cutting maneuvers. Either way, fog is essentially mist, which is water, which is far from carbon dioxide. I doubt that disney would ever try to put their guests at risk in their attractions. That's food service's job. ;)

Ian

Actually, there are two methods used to create theatrical fog. The "hot" fog machines use glycol and distilled water and boil the liquid. This type of fog rises because it is hotter than the surrounding air. The other theatrical fog is made with carbon dioxide (as The Mom correctly stated). This is "cold" fog and it hangs on the ground. Sometimes dry ice is combined with warm water to create the fog. For big time "cold" fog production, large tanks of C02 are used. It's harmless.

The glycol based "hot" fog can be harmful to asthmatics so it is not used in situations where the audience will come in direct contact with this type of fog. Also, the glycol based fog leaves a sticky residue behind after many hours of use.

bigbrian-nc.com

I like NRG both the old and newer versions. I wish I had seen the older version more times and could remember it better. But even though I like it I yhink it is funny when folks make jokes about falling asleep, probably beacause there's some truth to it.
1. You may be tired, in Florida its often hot , and visiting WDW many of us spend long days out in the parks doing more vigorous exercise than we might on a typical day off work.
2. Theres low lighting, after all the dinosaur sequence is set in a dawn-pre-dawn setting.
3. You get to sit down for an extended period. Including the pre show the attraction clocks in around 45 minutes. they do break it up but anyone starting to get drowsy in the preshow movie , may only get halfway re-awakened as they load into the attraction vehicles, where they can then drift off quite quickly.

by now you all know the words, let's sing along:

Here we go
movin' slow
through the Universe of En-er-gy

I like that little joke even though I enjoy the attraction quite a bit as well.

planet7

bigbrian-nc.com said:
by now you all know the words, let's sing along:

Here we go
movin' slow
through the Universe of En-er-gy

The Cast Member version is "See the cars.... go off the wire! It's the Un-i-verse of En-er-gy!" :)

To those who may not get this: the ride uses a trackless "guidewire" system. A super-thin wire is embedded in the floor. It transmits a RF (radio freuquency) signal which the vehicles "listen" for. The make their way through the building by listening for the wire, and following its path. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the jist of it.

A steering error or other malfunction can cause a vehicle to veer too far from the wire, where it can't find it again. Such vehicle guidance faults ("going off the wire") are the primary source of downtimes at Energy.

G7, The NRG Answer Man :)

planet7

isnet396 said:
was known as "Damp Earth", which used to be prominant in the intitial "holding area" of the diorama.
Either way, fog is essentially mist, which is water, which is far from carbon dioxide. I doubt that disney would ever try to put their guests at risk in their attractions.

There were originally three scents, including (so I'm told) two different "Damp Earth" scents, and the burning scent (for the volcano) that's also used in the
Rome burning scene of Spaceship.

The fog is CO2, not water vapor.

As long as you stay in your vehicle, Energy is quite safe. Spaceship is another story.

G7

Captain Hank

planet7 said:
The Cast Member version is "See the cars.... go off the wire! It's the Un-i-verse of En-er-gy!"

To those who may not get this: the ride uses a trackless "guidewire" system. A super-thin wire is embedded in the floor. It transmits a RF (radio freuquency) signal which the vehicles "listen" for. The make their way through the building by listening for the wire, and following its path. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the jist of it.

A steering error or other malfunction can cause a vehicle to veer too far from the wire, where it can't find it again. Such vehicle guidance faults ("going off the wire") are the primary source of downtimes at Energy.

G7, The NRG Answer Man
I thought they used a puck system now, similar to the parade tracking system.

planet7

Captain Hank said:
I thought they used a puck system now, similar to the parade tracking system.

I'm unclear on that, actually. I was told the same thing, but I don't see how the pucks would be used for guidance. I suspect that instead the pucks replaced original benchmarking system. The "benchmarks" were originally magnets embedded in the floor, which (I assume) actuated a reed switch in the vehicles. It let the vehicles (and in turn the Wayside) know that the vehicles had reached a certain point. The range of course would be limited. I know that they replaced the benchmarks, and I suspect that's where the pucks come in--they would have greater range.

If anyone else has any details on this, I'd be very interested to know about it!

G7

GoofyMagic

the new one with Ellen I must say is close to as lengthly as the other. Her humor is sometimes funny but they still need to spice everything up a bit more.

dchall05

Ellen

I love this updated version of the ride!!!!!!
I used to fall alseep in it, now, Im awake for the whole thing!!!!
She is a comic master!!!
I just cant stop laughing when the big snake is trying to eat her!!!:lookaroun

isnet396

Whoa...G7, welcome to the forums. I can't recall you ever hanging out here, though I haven't visited in a while.

(Long time Yahoo Groups member of your UoE and Horizons group)

...You ought to really put together some sort of megathread for Energy in this subforum, most people are probably unaware of (all) of the technical complexities of the ride.

They may be refering to 1.the old version; it did have the aroma of burning tar and I suppose some people might react to the fumes. 2. the dinosaurs drip water on you..it does smell a little odd, they might be concerned about cleanliness. 3. there is a lot of fog around. Some people might be bothered by breathing in the CO2 used to make it?

All of the above are just guesses on my part. I've never had any problems, nor has my asthmatic daughter.

Also, this is the first time I've ever heard about any possible problems.

Hmm, now that you mention it..I do recall it smelling sort of funny around the old version of UoE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom