Universal Vs. Disney

Lynx04

bigbadwolf said:
I really think Disney is better... It is not just because I am a fan. I can enjoy Universal, but their rides aren't as good in quality as Disney's are. Universal did get the idea for the Mummy coaster from Disney's Rockin roller coaster, it is quite obvious. All in all Disney offers more, from resorts to just things to do. Which brings up originalty, Disney is very original and Unverisal has thier own share of it, but Disney has more then them. Either way I like both, no reasonto say which is better. I just enjoy WDW more.

Universal did not get the idea for mummy from RnR. Mummy is a completely different type of attraction then RnR.

RnR does not have one show scene during the attraction. It is nothing more then an indoor roller coaster.

If you want to go down that road then, Disney got the idea for RnR from Kings Dominion's FoF.

moink

Original Poster
Legacy said:
Disney got the idea for RnRC from the Vekoma cataloge.

i know i dont know why i put the imagination thing I just found it funny that while they were in this little arguement you steped in and (i think) tried to be funny...

moink

Original Poster
I dont know anything about the mummy or anything... all I do know is that Disney was the first theme park to have the motion simulator then universal got one... thats the only ride "copy" that I know of...

Well somtimes after Disney creates a ride a couple of my friends came and said that Universal got one just like it... But thats all I ever heard of.

Legacy

moink said:
Well somtimes after Disney creates a ride a couple of my friends came and said that Universal got one just like it... But thats all I ever heard of.
Universal took the simulator technology and put it infront of an IMAX screen (Back to the Future). Kong was original. Jaws is original. Twister is original. T2 is original. Spiderman is original. Mummy is original.

Earthquake uses standard movie magic (like Catastrophie Canyon). They have Jurrassic Park River Adventure and Ripsaw Falls (flumes, like Splash Mountain... which was around long before Disney). They have ET and Cat and the Hat (dark-rides, which originated before Disney). They have MiB: Alien Attack (Gallery ride, like Buzz... which originates back to the mid-fifties). They have roller coasters, which are advancements on a concept dated back to the late 19th century. Yes, Matterhorn was the first tubular steel coaster. But Disney didn't create that technology... Arrow did. And it was a standard advancement in coaster design. They have Storm Force Accelatron, a Mad Tea Cups attraction (which Disney did not originate). They have Bilge-Rat Barges, a rapids ride like Kali River. But Busch Gardens had the first one in Florida, and they were built long before that anyway. They have Dr. Doom's Fear Fall. A standard tower ride built by S&S long before the Tower of Terror.

I have no problem with people saying Universal did something after Disney, but I would also like people to realize that Disney didn't create every concept on property.

moink

Original Poster
Legacy said:
Universal took the simulator technology and put it infront of an IMAX screen (Back to the Future). Kong was original. Jaws is original. Twister is original. T2 is original. Spiderman is original. Mummy is original.

Earthquake uses standard movie magic (like Catastrophie Canyon). They have Jurrassic Park River Adventure and Ripsaw Falls (flumes, like Splash Mountain... which was around long before Disney). They have ET and Cat and the Hat (dark-rides, which originated before Disney). They have MiB: Alien Attack (Gallery ride, like Buzz... which originates back to the mid-fifties). They have roller coasters, which are advancements on a concept dated back to the late 19th century. Yes, Matterhorn was the first tubular steel coaster. But Disney didn't create that technology... Arrow did. And it was a standard advancement in coaster design. They have Storm Force Accelatron, a Mad Tea Cups attraction (which Disney did not originate). They have Bilge-Rat Barges, a rapids ride like Kali River. But Busch Gardens had the first one in Florida, and they were built long before that anyway. They have Dr. Doom's Fear Fall. A standard tower ride built by S&S long before the Tower of Terror.

I have no problem with people saying Universal did something after Disney, but I would also like people to realize that Disney didn't create every concept on property.

hey i hear you but im just telling you what my friends told me... I know disney did not origonate most of their attractions but my friends and I just thought it strange even though the technology was out there LONG before disney; then why did Universal wait until after Disney had it, it may not meake them look good. Just asking dont want to look like an idiot here :eek: just curious.

Legacy

moink said:
hey i hear you but im just telling you what my friends told me... I know disney did not origonate most of their attractions but my friends and I just thought it strange even though the technology was out there LONG before disney; then why did Universal wait until after Disney had it, it may not meake them look good. Just asking dont want to look like an idiot here :eek: just curious.
Because

1. Disney opened 20 years before Universal.

2. Most of the technology that Universal uses after Disney is expanded a great deal. MiB is a perfect example.

moink

Original Poster
Legacy said:
Because

2. Most of the technology that Universal uses after Disney is expanded a great deal. MiB is a perfect example.

well yeah disney did open 20 years before Universal but they got some of their best thrill rides recently... like with in the 1990's and so did Universal. It doesnt matter when Disney opened if you think about it.

MiB is like no other attraction that disney has (maybe Buzz lightyear) but it is very unique. Universal came up with that technology and I applaud them.

Legacy

moink said:
well yeah disney did open 20 years before Universal but they got some of their best thrill rides recently... like with in the 1990's and so did Universal. It doesnt matter when Disney opened if you think about it.

MiB is like no other attraction that disney has (maybe Buzz lightyear) but it is very unique. Universal came up with that technology and I applaud them.
No... MiB's technology wasn't created by Universal. The concept is from the 50's (I just said that).

If you look at the past 10 years, the only attractions that you can compare are the flumes and the gallery rides... both of which are old concepts so it is really a moot point for everyone involved.

moink

Original Poster
Legacy said:
No... MiB's technology wasn't created by Universal. The concept is from the 50's (I just said that).

If you look at the past 10 years, the only attractions that you can compare are the flumes and the gallery rides... both of which are old concepts so it is really a moot point for everyone involved.

okay so lets drop it then we both made our points and lets just stop this before we get into a major arguement huh?

Indy95

Lynx04 said:
If you want to go down that road then, Disney got the idea for RnR from Kings Dominion's FoF.
And if you CONTINUE going down that road, PKD's got the idea for FoF from DLP's Space Mountain. So what's your point?

Legacy said:
But remember, if you say that then Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Superstar Limo, and Primeval Whirl are also original. Either every attraction that's not an exact copy is original, or nothing is. (Didn't we have this discussion already? :lol: )

Legacy said:
They have Dr. Doom's Fear Fall. A standard tower ride built by S&S long before the Tower of Terror.
No, actually S&S build their first tower at Worlds of Fun in 1996. ToT opened in 1994, and was in development far longer than that.

...I think the reason why everyone is quick to jump on Universal in this discussion is because while Disney did not come up with the original design for some attractions (Splash Mountain, FL dark ride, shooting gallery, etc.) they brought the concept to the Florida market before Universal did. Ex: Disney didn't come up with the idea for the log flume ride, but Disney built Splash Mountain and THEN Uni builds Dudley Do-Right, Disney builds shooting gallery and THEN Uni builds shooting gallery, etc. This makes it appear as if Disney builds an attraction, and then Uni says "Hey, Disney just built a log flume, so now we'll build a log flume." Granted, I'm sure Uni doesn't do this for most of them, but you get the idea.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Indy95 said:
...I think the reason why everyone is quick to jump on Universal in this discussion is because while Disney did not come up with the original design for some attractions (Splash Mountain, FL dark ride, shooting gallery, etc.) they brought the concept to the Florida market before Universal did. Ex: Disney didn't come up with the idea for the log flume ride, but Disney built Splash Mountain and THEN Uni builds Dudley Do-Right, Disney builds shooting gallery and THEN Uni builds shooting gallery, etc. This makes it appear as if Disney builds an attraction, and then Uni says "Hey, Disney just built a log flume, so now we'll build a log flume." Granted, I'm sure Uni doesn't do this for most of them, but you get the idea.

You have to be kidding me.....didn't you just read one of Legacy's posts?

Legacy said:
Because

coasterphil

Indy95 said:
No, actually S&S build their first tower at Worlds of Fun in 1996. ToT opened in 1994, and was in development far longer than that.

Alright, then just use Intamin instead of S&S. They had drop towers long before ToT had been built.

Indy95

NemoRocks said:
You have to be kidding me.....didn't you just read one of Legacy's posts?
But that still doesn't excuse anything. Think about the shooting gallery idea. Universal opened MIB ten years after USF opened. But, if the shooting gallery technology had been available since the 50s, and of course Uni could have easily updated the technology, why didn't they build a shooting gallery in, say, 1993? Or 1995? Any theme could have been adapted to fit a SG attraction, the technology was available, and on top of that Disney did NOT have a SG attraction in ANY of their parks. Disney being opened 20 years doesn't matter...Uni had every opportunity to build a SG before Disney if they wanted to. But when they do build one, it just HAPPENS to open two years after Disney's. If you read my last post, remember I said this is how it APPEARS, I wasn't condemning Uni for using such practices, I was just saying that's how it looks.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Indy95 said:
But that still doesn't excuse anything. Think about the shooting gallery idea. Universal opened MIB ten years after USF opened. But, if the shooting gallery technology had been available since the 50s, and of course Uni could have easily updated the technology, why didn't they build a shooting gallery in, say, 1993? Or 1995? Any theme could have been adapted to fit a SG attraction, the technology was available, and on top of that Disney did NOT have a SG attraction in ANY of their parks. Disney being opened 20 years doesn't matter...Uni had every opportunity to build a SG before Disney if they wanted to. But when they do build one, it just HAPPENS to open two years after Disney's. If you read my last post, remember I said this is how it APPEARS, I wasn't condemning Uni for using such practices, I was just saying that's how it looks.

This is like saying Disney should have built a flume attraction in 1971 JUST because the "technology" was there.

And no, not any theme can be applied to fit a shooting gallery attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom