Universal Vs Disney: Universal on the rise?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTF

How can anyone come to WDW annually and spend 12 days? With nothing new to do in 3 of the parks for nearly half a decade it's stale. My wife and I love Disney and venture to the parks at least once a month, but were done with MGM and AK within 3 hours tops. We also visit Universal monthly but between both parks are there from open to close. Plus their is already half a day worth of entertainment under construction at the Studios.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I am a Potter fan but Uni should have spent more time planning! The area is too small, and the shop after the Forbidden Journey is a total nightmare. I am not fighting crowds to spend, any money I would have spent there stays safely in my pocket. We normally go in Oct I would hate to think what it is like at a busier times. TTFN Jo
Uni would have LOVED to make the area larger, but the small shop size was one of Rowling's demands for the area. And I'm VERY glad that Disney didn't get the Potter rights; they never woulda' put the money into the area that Uni did.
Overall, the income to park quality ratio between Disney and Uni is DEPLORABLE. Disney makes so much more than Uni, but they're sitting on their hands, while Uni uses the (relatively) little money they make to deliver new products and keep things updated.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'd ever take Uni over Disney overall, but that's just based on nostalgia, as so much of Disney is.
Not to mention, Disney's parades can't even compare to the Superstar Parade.

Captain Chaos

How can anyone come to WDW annually and spend 12 days? With nothing new to do in 3 of the parks for nearly half a decade it's stale. My wife and I love Disney and venture to the parks at least once a month, but were done with MGM and AK within 3 hours tops. We also visit Universal monthly but between both parks are there from open to close. Plus their is already half a day worth of entertainment under construction at the Studios.
When you suffer from an addiction you just can never get enough for the high it gives you... Which is really a major mental condition...

BryceM

I was just at Universal on November 17th, and we spent 12 hours park-hopping, and I still didn't get to do all that I wanted to! We started in Islands of Adventure, headed to Universal Studios around 1:30, headed back to Islands of Adventure around 6:00 because the park was open until 8:00 that night. It's easy and fun to treat the parks as one since they are so close and it was probably the best day ever. Even if you don't park-hop, each of the parks has enough quality and fun attractions to keep you busy for a full day.

I once spent a full park day at Disney's Hollywood Studios and we were done with all the major attractions by 11:00 A.M. The rest of the day consisted of just going between Tower of Terror and Rock 'N' Roller Coaster until 9:00 P.M. because nobody wanted to do any of the other rides again except TSMM but that of course had a 2 hour wait...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For me personally, I usually spend a week at a time at WDW and never feel its long enough. To each their own. It is really just a matter of opinion.

luv

Yes, Uni is on the way up. They always get better.

Disney is still good, but they've been sliding down for quite a long while.

I like both parks. I don't like Uni better. It just is what it is.

Tom Morrow

Both are good examples and people would riot if you removed either. Seriously, they would. Anything Walt touched, knew about, dreamed about or even mentioned one time is sacred ground and off limits to touch for many people. Look at the threads on new FLE and mine train. There are a large number of people upset by Snow White being removed even though they are adding another ride themed to the same movie with much better technology. Even updating Pan could present problems for some people. We have tons of people who know every ride effect on classic rides and would endlessly complain about anything at all that is removed. Of course, this place is a bit ridiculous (me included) and probably is not a very good representation of the average WDW fan.

At the end of the day I would love to see Disney dump some cash into updating the classic rides and returning them to their former glory over an Avatar themed flight simulator, but one thing brings new bodies in the door and the other may not so we know where they are going to spend the cash.
I think Disney has convinced people that some of the rides are timeless and should never be replaced or upgraded. That way they don't actually have to do it.

I tend to avoid hypothesizing "What would Walt do?" scenarios, but he never wanted the parks to be a museum, he wanted them to always be growing as the times change. I have little doubt that for rides like Peter Pan's Flight, he would be like "This is still open?? Seriously??"

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think Disney has convinced people that some of the rides are timeless and should never be replaced or upgraded. That way they don't actually have to do it.

I tend to avoid hypothesizing "What would Walt do?" scenarios, but he never wanted the parks to be a museum, he wanted them to always be growing as the times change. I have little doubt that for rides like Peter Pan's Flight, he would be like "This is still open?? Seriously??"
I agree that the phrase "What would Walt do?" is very tired. Used way too frequently in my opinion.

blueboxdoctor

Right now Disney needs to do some major updates, especially in Hollywood Studios. They really are lacking in anything modern/relevant there, and while Uni has somewhat of the same problem it is still updating (Harry Potter). Yes, Disney is doing that Avatar land thing, but I don't see that really being overly big, at least not as big as Harry Potter was able to be for such a long time.

A big problem for Hollywood Studios is Disney hasn't had a good show on ABC for who-knows-how-long, and that means having to bring in the American Idol part, which doesn't matter since the show is pretty much dead at this point (and has been for a while). Indiana Jones, while a cool show, really hasn't been relevant for a while, and the 4th movie basically ruined a come back. Even the back lot tour feels dated, especially since they had to take stuff out for the motor show (which is cool, so that is excused). What is up with the Narnia attraction, it's just a trailer for an old movie? The Toy Story ride is very fun, and I'm glad Pixar is getting more of a role there, but really, it's not like Disney doesn't own a bunch of movie companies and ABC, they really should have more to do there. Plus, the park pretty much closes when it gets dark out, as that's when the shows end. Overall, it just needs to be updated.

I think that's a problem with a lot of WDW right now, it's like the framework is all there, but in spots it really needs to be redone, and please, why won't they do something with that weird, always empty eating spot in MK to the right of the ice cream shop (it bridges main street to Tomorrow Land, I think it used to be a noodle station or something). Stuff like that just makes the park feel abandoned at times, leaving for an odd feeling.

That said, I still prefer WDW, as I'm not a big roller coaster person and I grew up on Disney.

BadWolf

Amen brother..... I couldn't have stated it better myself. American Idol was on the decline when Disney opened up the American Idol part.

gonnichi

I saw an advertisment for Universal that said something like the two best theme parks in Orlando. A few years ago I would have laughed at that ad. Today I thik they are probablly right to say they have the 2 best parks in Orlando. This will be especially true once Harry Potter 2.0 and Transformers opens. I am sad to say that I think they will be even better then the MK park at that point.

BryceM

I saw an advertisment for Universal that said something like the two best theme parks in Orlando. A few years ago I would have laughed at that ad. Today I thik they are probablly right to say they have the 2 best parks in Orlando. This will be especially true once Harry Potter 2.0 and Transformers opens. I am sad to say that I think they will be even better then the MK park at that point.
I think Islands of Adventure has been the best park in Orlando for a while now.

You could also only need 2 days for DLR if you rush, but like UNI, there are many things you would be missing out on. (especially after the expansions!) As for food i'd say that Uni has the upper hand in the Fast food area (And in the table service area Mythos is the best theme park restaurant in Orlando) while Disney has the upper hand at dining in the actual (deluxe) resorts. As for Potter, all the problems you listed will be fixed in phase 2. (Though I think the problems you list are small in the grand scheme of the land.)

Mythos is so average it is not even funny. The QS places are okay. The overpriced Chick FIl A Ripoff in the Marvel Section is god awful.

How can anyone spend more than 5 hours in IoA? See i can do exactly what you can do. Beyond Spiderman and Harry Potter everything at Universal is boring or weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom