Universal Question

CheersBoston

Original Poster
Leaving in under three weeks to spend 10 days down in FL!! I haven't been to Universal in about 6 years, so decided to spend one night at the Hard Rock before heading to Riverside for the rest of the time. We're gonna be getting to the hotel around noon time. Which park, Islands of Adventure/Original Universal, would be better for the first half day and which would be better for the following full day??

wherewhy

You honestly could probably do both in one day, for a half a day, do universal studios, you can do all of that park in one day. That will leave you enough time for IOA the following day, which takes a little longer. Have fun! I hear the Hard Rock is beautiful!

md0u80a2

I would agree

The one big advantage of universla is everything really is local. If you are staying on site, once you get to city walk you can walk from entrance of universal to entrance of IOA in 10 minutes.

I would suggest starting with islands of adventure in the pm on your first day and head up and do duelling dragons then get soaked on jurassic and popeye and ripsaw falls, then head back and do hulk and spiderman near main entrance. You can then get some food and head home to remove your soaked clothes.

Start the next morning in universal at opening and then you will be finished by 3 and you can mop up remaing island of adventure stuff.

Remember, you have your your room key fastpass so no lines.

have fun

kcnole

The fastpass does make it easier. I'd probably go to USF on the first day. I don't think you'll be there in time to take in their showings of 360 again as that doesn't happen until the week of Christmas and after (but if you are that's another reason to be at USF at night) but you should be able to take in the Macy's parade which is nice. Then just use the fastpass to hit what you want in that park.

I'd start early at IOA the next day. You can probably move through the entire park with fastpass by about 2:30-3:30 PM at a leisurely pace. Then head back over to USF to finish up anything you missed earlier. I'd definitely recommend eating at Mythos in IOA in the Lost Continent land. It's been voted as the top theme park restaurant for around 3 years in a row and it deserves its crown. Wonderful food, great staff, beautiful view. It's probably the best thing to do in the park in my opinion.

Citywalk also has some very nice restaurants. Bob Marleys and Margarittaville are fun. Emerill's is amazing. Pat Obriens puts you in the nice mardi gras feeling and Bubba Gump brings you back to the Forest Gump movie with great food and fun Gump trivia. There's also a huge hardrock and an NBA themed restaurant. There's a nascar one as well but I think it's going to be closed while you're there.

teebin

I would check the weather for both days. If rain is forecast for one of the days, I would do Universal as almost every attraction is indoors. Leave the nice day for IOA as much of the fun is out of doors.

KumbaRider

Make sure you spend time at the pool, and enjoy the waterslide. I'd do the Studios the first day. Start the next day early at IoA.

tracyandalex

Hard Rock is awsome!! i agree that studios is a half day park. i would start fresh with IOA in the morning. be sure to look around the hotel at the all the cool memorabilia (sp?)

tracy

slappy magoo

Knowing universal crowds, you could probably do both parks in half a day!:drevil:

Slightly off-topic, I know and I'm sorry, but I don't understand the logic of not rushing through either park if you don't have to.

Granted, at that time of year, mid-December, before the holiday crowds, UO/IOA might indeed be dead. On top of that, you have your hotel pass which will give you front-of-the-line privileges everywhere. But it also gives you the opportunity to look around and savor little details that might get lost on a busier day.

Don't boot me off the board :) , to me UO/IOA is pretty much an expendable side trip. If time or budget finds it incoveneient, I don't have to go up the road. But if I were going, and had the free rein that their hotel pass gives you, I'd soak in the parks for all their worth.

Incidentally, I'd suggest UO for the first day, get some rest and then hit IOA's roller coasters the next day. I like UO, but there seems to me like there's more show than motion at UO. Even flight simulators seem to shake me up less than their coasters or Spiderman does. And many of UO's more enjoyable attractions don't move as fast as a coaster does (I'm thinking Men in Black, ET). You have enjoyable stationary attractions like Shrek, Twister, T3D, the Monster Makeup Show. The only flight simulator that tends to knock me over is BTTF, and that's mainly because I always wind up banging my head on the back of it. You're probably going to be sleep deprived the day you get there, antsy, unused to the weather...UO, while not exactly relaxing, seems to me to be less physically taxing. So I'd say either hit UO your first day, IOA the next morning, and then back to UO if you need to catch something you miss or re-do an attraction, OR just go to both parks both days, take in mostly shows and stationary attractions the first day, then go nuts with their "E-ticket" rides the 2nd. day.

dvcnut39

You honestly could probably do both in one day, for a half a day, do universal studios, you can do all of that park in one day. That will leave you enough time for IOA the following day, which takes a little longer. Have fun! I hear the Hard Rock is beautiful!

I totally agree. We always do both parks in one day and that's without staying there. We've never had the front of the line access and we still always do both in one day. I also heard that The Hard Rock is great. Have fun!

pat_naughty05

I have made several one-day trips to Universal and purchased the Express Plus (same as the hotel Express, but you only get to ride each ride once) and done everything in both parks, and some things more than once. I would spend the first half-day at IOA myself, just because I enjoy it more than Universal, and the nighttime atmosphere is great. The following full day, you could easily do IOA again along with Universal without having to rush. Those hotel express passes are great, and you shouldn't have any trouble doing everything you want to do as much as you want to do it!

cmor42180

anytime i go i go through both parks in one day with no problem, the parks are a lot smaller than you think. islands of adventure is more rides/ roller coasters and the original studios is more shows than rides

kcnole

No wonder everybody complains that they have no fun at Universal. If you're stuffing both parks into half a day you're going to get that. I'm an AP holder for Universal and I've been three times this year. I still haven't seen everything. We enjoy taking a liesurely pace through the parks, stopping for lunch at Mythos or one of the nice restaurants in Citywalk and just slowly enjoying everything there. Both parks are wonderful. They have their issues, but so do the Disney parks.

Take your time like I said and you'll have a great time. Also don't use the express pass for everything if you don't have to. The queue for rides like ET are so much fun and the express pass just takes you backstage past the entire indoor queue. Rides that just have long switchbacks are one thing but I really missed the forest scene in ET last time.

I'd say use the expresspass on things like Shrek, Jimmy neutron, and Jaws but not for anything else unless you just have to. Over at IOA the express pass takes you through very similar areas in most rides so its not as big of a deal there. The queue for Dueling Dragons is an attraction in and of itself.

slappy magoo

Confussed??? Why are we talking about US??????

Because the OP asked a question anout Universal? Granted, there is a Universal Studio section of the board, but I don't think anyone's eyes are gonna melt looking at the Park Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned.

Besides, the OP is only spending 2 days there, and a week at WDW so cut him some slack!

CheersBoston

Original Poster
HAHA, I love how some people have nothing better to do than to be the board police!! Didn't know the PROPER protocol for asking a question!!

slappy magoo

Wanna get them apoplectic? Tell them how much you luuuuuuuv your nearest Six Flags Park! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: BTW, this is the first time I noticed I'm now a senior member with 1000+ posts. I'm kinda depressed, like missing the odomoter on your car roll over.

CheersBoston

Original Poster
HAHA!! The main category is TRIP PLANNING, the title of the thread is UNIVERSAL QUESTION, where is the confusion?? You had to actually click on the topic of UNIVERSAL QUESTION. Go figure!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom