Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

peter11435

That was just done a couple of weeks ago. They still haven’t cancelled Europe or Alaska. Yet it’s not on the website. DCL is a very small player in the cruise industry so it’s partly understandable.
If you knew that then why did you imply otherwise? You clearly claimed that they continue to allow people to book cruises for June and July which is not true and was false even before they officially cancelled those cruises. They stopped allowing those cruises to be booked a few weeks before they were cancelled.

A substantial portion of both Alaska and Europe have already been cancelled.

robhedin

We should know a date before before the EOB on Friday.
It does look like we may have an expected date for park opening by then. That doesn't mean that the resort hotels will be opened at the same time. Everyone is assuming that they will open at the same time, but that's not required. Universal hasn't announced anything about resorts opening for example, just the parks.

peter11435

It does look like we may have an expected date for park opening by then. That doesn't mean that the resort hotels will be opened at the same time. Everyone is assuming that they will open at the same time, but that's not required. Universal hasn't announced anything about resorts opening for example, just the parks.
I think it’s a good idea to set your expectations that it will be a long time until every resort at WDW is open.

Disneyhead'71

The Universal resorts are taking reservations starting on June 5th. But they have made no announcement yet. That is because they aren't sure how many of their hotels they will open. They are taking reservations for all the resorts, but the evening of a June 4th, they will look at bookings and consolidate if necessary. An upgrade from Surfside to a Deluxe looks like a realist possibility for the near future. They may even keep taking reservations for shuttered hotels after some of the hotels open and just continue upgrading until they hit a target occupancy rate then just stop the upgrades and open that property. I would not expect to see any offers until after they open and see where they are at.

Seanual757

Disney is much bigger

Much more folks they can have cast members recalled w/in days and have them up to speed w/in a week. You all act like this is a monster task you actually believe Disney has not been planning for this since they closed get real they know what they can and need to do it's not rocket science. How do you think Disney plans for a Hurricane to prepare you have plans you use your CM's to prepare it's not that difficult.

Why on earth continue to take reservations I expect an announcement by tomorrow once the Disney stores open and I honestly expect to see Disney open a few days after Universal they cannot afford to give us the summer $$$ they need to attract as many of the locals as they can.

Getachew

Much more folks they can have cast members recalled w/in days and have them up to speed w/in a week. You all act like this is a monster task you actually believe Disney has not been planning for this since they closed get real they know what they can and need to do it's not rocket science.

Why on earth continue to take reservations I expect an announcement by tomorrow once the Disney stores open and I honestly expect to see Disney open a few days after Universal they cannot afford to give us the summer $$$ they need to attract as many of the locals as they can.

we’ll see. If they are opening “days after universal” as you assert You’ll hear grumblings of numerous cast members returning to work.
And it is a monster task. This is not as simple as flinging the doors open.

carolina_yankee

So do you think testing/contact tracing is what has been holding the decision up? And if so, why wouldn't this also be a concern for Universal? Not sure what you mean by adequate testing. Testing is available now -- if you're willing to travel to it. And contact tracing may not be realistic in this country (depending on where you live). I suspect there would be lots of people that wouldn't cooperate.

To me, those are two very good reasons why Disney might not have been ready yet to make an opening announcement.

Adequate testing has to be testing that is as barrier free, reliable, quick to report reliable results, and readily available as possible.
Contact tracing will be essential to quickly mitigating any flare-ups.

If testing isn’t ramped up and people resist contact tracing, Disney may not be all that interested in rushing to be first.

Sir_Cliff

Look it’s sort of inevitable that no matter what precautions are taken, people will get sick and die from the virus at either theme parks after reopening and it will be covered and sensationalized in the media. I guess USO just wants to get it out of the way.
Who knows, maybe it will be fine.

Seems to me that Disney moving more slowly than Uni is due to a combination of Disney being more risk averse and WDW being logistically more difficult to reopen with social distancing and other coronavirus measures in place.

Miss Bella

If you knew that then why did you imply otherwise? You clearly claimed that they continue to allow people to book cruises for June and July which is not true and was false even before they officially cancelled those cruises. They stopped allowing those cruises to be booked a few weeks before they were cancelled.

A substantial portion of both Alaska and Europe have already been cancelled.
The CDC put out their no sail order over a month ago and yes they were still selling the Dream and Fantasy. I don't know if you cruise or follow cruises, but I have been watching things closely since March. They pulled the European June and July cruises but not the Fantasy and Dream. August and September European cruises have not been cancelled just pulled from the website.

Seanual757

we’ll see. If they are opening “days after universal” as you assert You’ll hear grumblings of numerous cast members returning to work.
And it is a monster task. This is not as simple as flinging the doors open.

Trust me I understand but it is not that difficult to contact the CM’s letting them know when to report to work each group and area know about crowd control they do it on a daily basis. It would take CM’s a day to get up to speed on what the plan is a few days to test it. The actually larger issue will be re-stocking all of the perishable food Disney donated that in itself could take longer to obtain.

But they can honestly have the parks and resorts ready to go w/in 2 weeks. They prepare for hurricanes, they prepare for the July 4th crowds, they were prepared before the closure with the sanitizing of resorts it is NOT difficult not sure why folks think it is. People on the front lines are doing this we have been doing this for 3 months it can be done. If folks don’t want to go back DON’T GO, but honestly the Central Florida economy and other economies need the theme parks to open its vital for the economic recovery.

DisneyCane

To me, those are two very good reasons why Disney might not have been ready yet to make an opening announcement.

Adequate testing has to be testing that is as barrier free, reliable, quick to report reliable results, and readily available as possible.
Contact tracing will be essential to quickly mitigating any flare-ups.

If test isn’t ramped up and people resist contact tracing, Disney may not be all that interested in rushing to be first.
Contact tracing is to prevent flare ups among people that are in close contact. For example, if you test positive they can test your family and co-workers since they become more likely to be infected. That will prevent further spread to your family's co-workers and your co-workers families. Contact tracing will not be done to try and figure out every person you came into contact with in a place like WDW. Possibly if you were on a flight they might track down people sitting near you. If you were in an Uber they could find the driver but they aren't going to track down everybody that was in the monorail car with you.

I don't know the situation everywhere but in Florida the testing is available. If you feel like getting a test you can go to drive through or walk up site and get one. The percentage positive being so low indicates that there is adequate testing. The nationwide positive rate is under 7% as well but I'm sure there may be some areas that are higher than 10% indicating more testing (or fewer infections) is needed.

bcoachable

What's their new business model? Disappointing their guests? My family and I are huge Disney fans and they are really starting to get on all of our nerves. And if this is happening for us I bet it is happening to a lot of other fans. Alienating your customers is not a good way to do business. When they first started cancelling reservations they offered to rebook starting in June with free dining. Then that went to you know what and now they dropped the free dining aspect and are taking reservations starting in July. All their illustrious leadership has to say about it is just because we are taking reservations in July does not mean that we will be open in July. Then stop taking reservations in July if there is a good enough chance that you will not be open that you had to make that ridiculous statement. They look like a bunch of incompetent amateurs. Plus this whole let's bury our head in the sand and not tell our customers anything but a bunch of textbook crud is a bit condescending. (I'm talking about the statement from the head of Disney health services we are going to clean everything and have social distancing whenever we open) Disney is losing a bunch of respect from their customers. Just pick a date even if it is the conservative one at the end of August and let the poor people with summer reservations off the hook. Seriously my kids ask me every single day what did Disney say today. Mind you they are plenty old enough that they know what Disney said today. The same thing they said yesterday and the day before...nothing. These are kids that still think they are going int July and will continue to think that until Disney cancels the reservation. There are thousands of other kids out there thinking the same thing. There are plenty of adults out there think that as well. They may be right. I feel sorry for the parents of the little kids that don't understand.

Disney set those parents and kids free.
You and your family will go back-
We all will.
Maybe not this year, maybe not next- but we will all be back, eventually.
You/We may not agree with this model, or that thematic choice- but we will still go back. That escapism feeling we get is addictive, and after reading the last few posts, it sounds as if many of us are ready & needing to escape somewhere.
They have us hooked (and they know it). No snark intended.

Getachew

Trust me I understand but it is not that difficult to contact the CM’s letting them know when to report to work each group and area know about crowd control they do it on a daily basis. It would take CM’s a day to get up to speed on what the plan is a few days to test it. The actually larger issue will be re-stocking all of the perishable food Disney donated that in itself could take longer to obtain.

But they can honestly have the parks and resorts ready to go w/in 2 weeks. They prepare for hurricanes, they prepare for the July 4th crowds, they were prepared before the closure with the sanitizing of resorts it is NOT difficult not sure why folks think it is. People on the front lines are doing this we have been doing this for 3 months it can be done. If folks don’t want to go back DON’T GO, but honestly the Central Florida economy and other economies need the theme parks to open its vital for the economic recovery.

if everything is as easy and simple as you claimed everything would be open already.

peter11435

The CDC put out their no sail order over a month ago and yes they were still selling the Dream and Fantasy. I don't know if you cruise or follow cruises, but I have been watching things closely since March. They pulled the European June and July cruises but not the Fantasy and Dream. August and September European cruises have not been cancelled just pulled from the website.
I’m Platinum on DCL and have had two cruises cancelled due to Covid so I have been following closely. They’ve pulled the Dream and Fantasy sailings through July also. Additional cruises will be pulled and subsequently cancelled when it is determined that they can not sail. The CDC order is a good guideline but not something that can be used to automatically cancel all cruises through that period. They have been very accommodating regarding cancellations, refunds, and future cruise credits. Including applying increased future cruise credits retroactively to cruises that were modified before they were officially cancelled.

The other cruise lines have all had very similar responses. In fact some are just now starting to cancel July sailings. And carnival and royal Caribbean are also still allowing booking for sailings in August that may or may not happen.

Jrb1979

You and your family will go back-
We all will.
Maybe not this year, maybe not next- but we will all be back, eventually.
You/We may not agree with this model, or that thematic choice- but we will still go back. That escapism feeling we get is addictive, and after reading the last few posts, it sounds as if many of us are ready & needing to escape somewhere.
They have us hooked (and they know it). No snark intended.
For most of you that is probably what will happen but not for me. This whole shutdown has really opened my eyes on Disney. A lot of that comes from the fans. Constantly taking jabs at Universal and other parks. Some talking about ways to get around the rules they plan on putting in place.

Maybe some you have littles and the part you enjoy is seeing the smiles on the littles faces means a lot to you. For me what gets me excited when I enter a park is hearing the screams of people on roller coasters gets me excited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom