Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Yep, never trust the media....none of it. Take everything they say with a grain of salt and do your own research. Usually all they do is trumpet the political bias of their editors and overlords and hype whatever fits their biased agenda, or whatever they think will get the ratings. Unbiased, balanced journalism died the death many years ago.

Yep. I tell people if you’re not reading at least three news sources you probably aren’t getting the entire story.

mhaftman7

I’m not gonna lie. I’ve got a horse in this race. Bounce back gave us a REALLY good deal to stay at the Wilderness Lodge this year and it’s kind of frustrating not knowing if it’s going to happen or not. I understand holding out as long as possible to let people know, but...ugh. At this point, it is what it is and I’ll have to have that conversation with Disney Destinations when the time comes. Fingers crossed.

jinx8402

Did you read the first post? It literally said the plan was to open aug 31st. Now you may not believe the poster, but after 48 pages you’re still here.

It was A plan, and maybe their most likely plan, but not their only plan. They had plans for other scenarios, such as opening in June or opening after September. Other reputable insiders have said as much.

Miss Bella

I pretty much only read news. I can’t stand watching any cable network.
Suit yourself, but you were the one saying no one's talks about the real facts. There are plenty of news outlets that share your sentiments. I think you're not looking in the right places. Anyway I do agree with most of what you say especially about Disney. I'm not as irritated with the parks as I am with their cruise line.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Suit yourself, but you were the one saying no one's talks about the real facts. There are plenty of news outlets that share your sentiments. I think you're not looking in the right places. Anyway I do agree with most of what you say especially about Disney. I'm not as irritated with the parks as I am with their cruise line.

I’ve gotten to the point where I read 3-4 sources so I can filter out the facts and the fluff. Otherwise you’re only getting one network’s bias and you can’t discern what’s real and what’s institutional bias of the network.

I feel for all the CM’a out of work and for all the people who have had vacations ruined.

Miss Bella

I’ve gotten to the point where I read 3-4 sources so I can filter out the facts and the fluff. Otherwise you’re only getting one network’s bias and you can’t discern what’s real and what’s institutional bias of the network.

I feel for all the CM’a out of work and for all the people who have had vacations ruined.
Media outlets and politics aside......I do feel for the CM's and ruined vacations, but Disney is not the end all be all. There are other places to spend your vacation dollars. The only thing tying me to Disney right now is that I have tickets I need to use otherwise it wouldn't even be on my radar.

VaderTron

The Governor in New York and Pennsylvania let the disease ravage the elderly by allowing their administrations to demand that COVID 19 cases be returned to nursing homes, adult care facilities and long term care facilities. This was despite the fact the both states had the capacity to deal with those patients at hospitals where they would be far less likely to spread the disease to others. The counties in New York that have kept the best records suggest that 50% of New York’s death total is from those facilities. 1 in 5 residents of those facilities are now dead from COVID 19. So yeah, Cuomo deserves a ton of blame for this.

So let me get this straight @The Mom ... My jesting post in response to the joking statement of another poster who said "American's are delicate flowers" (regarding complaints of masks being too hot) of a cartoon depicting a big fat 'Murican on his ECV with oxygen tank and mounted machine gun with a caption saying "Until they morph into someone screaming about "Muh riiiiiights!!!" is a "political post" but something like this one that calls out a specific, real-life politician and slams their actual political actions is not??? Was it because the cartoon I posted had a flag in it? I just don't get it. I mean...if my post was political then we may as well slice and dice the rest of this forum because every other post in every thread falls in line with that definition of "political posts". That level of definition makes EVERYTHING you say political, because you are mistaking "societal" and "cultural" for "political". If you just don't like something and want to take it down at least own up to it rather than call it a political post.

SoFloMagic

Y'all are wild. You all want a date from Disney. But cases aren't going down in Florida.

Maybe they haven't announced anything because they want to be sure they get this right so they don't have to close again.

Anyone in their right mind would be more concerned about the safety of themselves, their family, and their community than this.

If you can't deal with uncertainty, travel in 2020 isn't for you.

Miss Bella

What’s going on with the cruise line?
They don't communicate with their customers the way other cruise lines do. At least Royal and Carnival have stated they plan to restart in August if the CDC does not extend the ban. Carnival has sent out emails with ships and embarkation ports it plans on resuming with. They have cancelled cruises well in advance. They pulled out of Europe and Alaska over a month ago. I haven't heard anything from DCL. They pull cruises off the website but don't cancel them. The continue allowing people to book cruises in June and July even with the CDC ban in place until the end of July.

I've been on one Royal cruise, one Carnival cruise and 25 DCL cruises. I get update emails from Carnival weekly, but nothing from Disney. I was supposed to cruise on DCL in Europe this Summer. I changed the cruise to next year. The cruises have been pulled from the website, but people in my Facebook group that are still booked haven't heard anything.

peter11435

They don't communicate with their customers the way other cruise lines do. At least Royal and Carnival have stated they plan to restart in August if the CDC does not extend the ban. Carnival has sent out emails with ships and embarkation ports it plans on resuming with. They have cancelled cruises well in advance. They pulled out of Europe and Alaska over a month ago. I haven't heard anything from DCL. They pull cruises off the website but don't cancel them. The continue allowing people to book cruises in June and July even with the CDC ban in place until the end of July.

I've been on one Royal cruise, one Carnival cruise and 25 DCL cruises. I get update emails from Carnival weekly, but nothing from Disney. I was supposed to cruise on DCL in Europe this Summer. I changed the cruise to next year. The cruises have been pulled from the website, but people in my Facebook group that are still booked haven't heard anything.
They have cancelled all cruises through the end of July.

Miss Bella

They have cancelled all cruises through the end of July.
That was just done a couple of weeks ago. They still haven’t cancelled Europe or Alaska. Yet it’s not on the website. DCL is a very small player in the cruise industry so it’s partly understandable.

Mem11

So let me get this straight @The Mom ... My jesting post in response to the joking statement of another poster who said "American's are delicate flowers" (regarding complaints of masks being too hot) of a cartoon depicting a big fat 'Murican on his ECV with oxygen tank and mounted machine gun with a caption saying "Until they morph into someone screaming about "Muh riiiiiights!!!" is a "political post" but something like this one that calls out a specific, real-life politician and slams their actual political actions is not??? Was it because the cartoon I posted had a flag in it? I just don't get it. I mean...if my post was political then we may as well slice and dice the rest of this forum because every other post in every thread falls in line with that definition of "political posts". That level of definition makes EVERYTHING you say political, because you are mistaking "societal" and "cultural" for "political". If you just don't like something and want to take it down at least own up to it rather than call it a political post.
Nah, Somebody probably reported your post as inappropriate(not necessarily political) and the moderators agreed and nobody reported the one you quoted. The Moderators can't read every post in every thread.

If it'll make you feel better, report the offending post and I'm sure you will be richly rewarded. By the way, it's probably not a good idea to question the moderators... I think @The Mom does a great job :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So EVERYONE else is taking reservations still? No where I have looked is taking them and cancelling them a week out. What other company is doing that?
I have no problem with them being overly cautious. If they want to stay closed until 2021,

Disney can't tell you when they'll be closed and when they'll be open precisely because they don't know. An opening date depends on factors outside their control.

I'm in the hot spot of New Jersey. I know several people who had a wedding scheduled for April. They moved it to June. They're moving it again to September or next year.

Their reception venues and churches aren't being non-communicative with them withholding a plan of when to reopen because they don't know when they'll be allowed to reopen.

It is eminently unreasonably to expect Disney to know when they'll be reopening until they know they are allowed to open and they can do it to the level of safety that they and their employees are comfortable with. And that there isn't a current or likely spike in hospitalizations that will have them closing it all down all over again.

Just like those churches and venues accepted new dates and reservations in the hope that they'll be open, so is Disney. It is absolutely commonplace in the service industry to have business lined up for whenever you might be able to run your business.

That Disney had a very definite date in late August is not the case. Several of our most trusted insiders have said over and over again that Disney has options and that was just one of them. They reserve for themselves the right to open earlier or later than a soft internal target.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So let me get this straight @The Mom ... My jesting post in response
If it'll make you feel better, report the offending post and I'm sure you will be richly rewarded. By the way, it's probably not a good idea to question the moderators... I think @The Mom does a great job

Indeed, not only is it better not to question moderation openly, it's against the Terms of Service we all agreed to in order to participate here. Such posts will likely be removed and continuing to have that public debate may mean a user being removed.

10. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

GladToBeHear

So I've read through the last 10 pages since my last posts (a lot of interesting discussion going on, by the way) and I keep seeing comments about Disney waiting until things are "safe" or "appropriate to open" or "waiting until the timing is right", etc. And I'm still curious as to what milestone/metric Disney is waiting for to set some dates. And why Universal isn't. Is it ever truly going to be "safe" to open? I posed that maybe it might have more to do with a PR/image decision. Or is it more a matter of the internal workings of getting all the pieces in place to reopen? I'm honestly curious as to what they're waiting for. The virus will still be here in 1, 3, 6, 12 months and beyond. Can't be a vaccine. That's most likely years away (and may never happen). And we don't know if/when there will be effectice treatment. Have they just been waiting for cases to go down locally in FL?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom