Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Then reschedule your trips for a time period in which you are confident they will be open and operating. I'm sorry, but you guys have some very unrealistic expectations.

As mentioned in a previous post, my trips have been cancelled and will not be rebooked until an opening date has been announced. That doesn't mean I have to agree with the way Disney is handling things, because I don't.

Last edited:

icc2515

I'm sorry, but you guys have some very unrealistic expectations.
What are my unrealistic expectations?

To have good communications from the company that I am dealing with. To have a company that I do business with let me know what's going on for a reservation that I made in Aug of 2020 for July of 2019. Nope, it's not unrealistic to ask Disney to make a decision more that a few weeks in advance. When Disney cancels these reservations with 3 weeks warning they are putting their customers in a predicament having to find alternative vacations for their familys. They are cancelling DVC's 1 week in advance with no email or phone call. You know that is very bad customer service.

Seriously ImperfectPixie what are my unrealistic expectations in your view?

Prince-1

Then reschedule your trips for a time period in which you are confident they will be open and operating. I'm sorry, but you guys have some very unrealistic expectations.

Hey the pandemic is very fluid and dynamic with companies having to make some difficult decisions that can change without notice. Disney should stop be greedy and mean and make a call on when they will open and stop changing that date. How dare they.;)

Tony Perkis

Hey the pandemic is very fluid and dynamic with companies having to make some difficult decisions that can change without notice. Disney should stop be greedy and mean and make a call on when they will open and stop changing that date. How dare they.;)
I wish Disney would just make a call. Then it’ll be the coronavirus that needs to adjust to things.

RaveOnEd

Some people don't have the luxury of going whenever they can. And I do have to agree that this shroud of mystery and lack of any good communication is not what I would expect from a company like Disney. Tell people who stand to spend thousands of dollars while there on vacation what your intentions are so they know when to schedule time off from work and so on. This is a theme park, not MI-6. No need for cloak and dagger.

ImperfectPixie

Some people don't have the luxury of going whenever they can. And I do have to agree that this shroud of mystery and lack of any good communication is not what I would expect from a company like Disney. Tell people who stand to spend thousands of dollars while there on vacation what your intentions are so they know when to schedule time off from work and so on. This is a theme park, not MI-6. No need for cloak and dagger.
I'm one of those who just can't go whenever they want - our trips take usually around a year of planning just to make sure everyone's schedules are lined up, vacation time is saved, etc.

I suppose I'm just a bit more forgiving because of the chaos the pandemic has thrown at everyone.

Ksearcy

The fact that people won't really care about what the Mouse has done says a lot of how he has y'all wrapped around his finger. I liked Disney til this all happened but how they have handled this compared to all the other theme park companies doesn't give them a good look. I realize it's a pandemic and nobody knows how each day is going to go right now. The lack of communication has been downright awful. Six Flags has even put out their plans when they reopen and they are at the bottom for amusement parks.

Then you have the Mouse who has been tight-lipped through this whole thing. All news that has come out has never been directly from them other then their VP not guaranteeing the June opening. So much for them being ahead of the curve. In my books they aren't the leader any more
What news has there really been to share, exactly????

RaveOnEd

I'm one of those who just can't go whenever they want - our trips take usually around a year of planning just to make sure everyone's schedules are lined up, vacation time is saved, etc.

I suppose I'm just a bit more forgiving because of the chaos the pandemic has thrown at everyone.
I agree that the pandemic threw everything into an uproar. But on the other side of things, Disney is not looking like a company that had much of anything planned as to how to handle reopening things. Like I said in a post earlier on the forum, public perception is everything. Universal made news everywhere with their reopening date. Disney is still nebulous and vague, except for reopening their glorified shopping mall.

People want to put Disney on a pedestal for anything they do, and that's fine. It's my family's favorite place to go. But they don't look good now with the rolling cancellations and the "...doesn't mean we'll open in July" line. You've got lots of people who are emotionally looking to Disney to be somewhere to go, soon, to put this virus behind them mentally.

And when all you can deliver is non-answers or nothing at all, repeatedly, it gets stale.

ImperfectPixie

I agree that the pandemic threw everything into an uproar. But on the other side of things, Disney is not looking like a company that had much of anything planned as to how to handle reopening things. Like I said in a post earlier on the forum, public perception is everything. Universal made news everywhere with their reopening date. Disney is still nebulous and vague, except for reopening their glorified shopping mall.

People want to put Disney on a pedestal for anything they do, and that's fine. It's my family's favorite place to go. But they don't look good now with the rolling cancellations and the "...doesn't mean we'll open in July" line. You've got lots of people who are emotionally looking to Disney to be somewhere to go, soon, to put this virus behind them mentally.

And when all you can deliver is non-answers or nothing at all, repeatedly, it gets stale.
I absolutely agree that it gets stale...but this is the nature of pandemics. No one really knows anything...it could burn itself out, or it could hang around for years. I just imagine all the different segments involved in operating the parks and resorts, and I can understand why they'd rather be overly cautious in re-opening so as to lessen the probably of having to shut down again...not to mention all the logistics in getting all 4 parks and all the resorts guest-ready, training staff for new procedures...there's a lot of cogs in the Disney machine.

RaveOnEd

I absolutely agree that it gets stale...but this is the nature of pandemics. No one really knows anything...it could burn itself out, or it could hang around for years. I just imagine all the different segments involved in operating the parks and resorts, and I can understand why they'd rather be overly cautious in re-opening so as to lessen the probably of having to shut down again...not to mention all the logistics in getting all 4 parks and all the resorts guest-ready, training staff for new procedures...there's a lot of cogs in the Disney machine.
I understand. And what you said right there would even be satisfactory had it come from Disney, instead of what we have now.

(and I like that we're having a conversation on this, not sniping and arguing. One thing I hate is arguing, and would never want to argue on here. It would get no one anywhere, only angry at each other, at a time where everything has been frustrating! I should have been to about 4 or 5 Phillies games by now!)

ImperfectPixie

(and I like that we're having a conversation on this, not sniping and arguing. One thing I hate is arguing, and would never want to argue on here. It would get no one anywhere, only angry at each other, at a time where everything has been frustrating! I should have been to about 4 or 5 Phillies games by now!)
Agreed 100% :)

peter11435

They know how to reopen their operations and they have plans for how to do so. They just aren’t rushing to do it too soon. Universal was being just as vague until they announced that they were reopening and gave dates.

I get that people are in a hurry to have Disney so they can put the virus behind them, but the virus isn’t behind us yet.

icc2515

I just imagine all the different segments involved in operating the parks and resorts, and I can understand why they'd rather be overly cautious in re-opening so as to lessen the probably of having to shut down again.
I have no problem with them being overly cautious. If they want to stay closed until 2021, that is their right. They just need to announce it. If the plan was to open on Aug 31st then stick to it and announce it. They could just announce that they are cancelling all reservation before Aug 31st and set the summer people free to make other plans. Disney can take one for the team, and be the bad guy for a change and let the parents off the hook. Until they cancel my reservation stands, plus my other backup reservations. You know Uni is looking pretty good as this unfolds. They are offering free cancellation and refunds up to 24 hours in advance for all reservation made till May 31st and that includes refunding the tickets.

Disney, on the other hand, is losing good faith every day. <-----I hope you're reading this Disney.

Getachew

They know how to reopen their operations and they have plans for how to do so. They just aren’t rushing to do it too soon. Universal was being just as vague until they announced that they were reopening and gave dates.

I get that people are in a hurry to have Disney so they can put the virus behind them, but the virus isn’t behind us yet.

What timeframe looks realistic in your view?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom