Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Miss Bella

I think there's a key difference in the situations. You intend to keep those appointments as long as the governmental restrictions allow. What's been "reported" here is that Disney doesn't intend to keep many of these reservations. I stand by my previous statement that this is fraudulent.

If Disney really does intend to remain closed until the end of August (World) and next year (Land), then I hope they get hit hard. It's shameful.
Disneyland Tokyo is not taking reservations at all. They won't until the park reopens. Disneyland Tokyo is not owned by Disney.

Miss Bella

I think the major issue with most people speculating they are not working to reopen is that they haven't released a target date AND they are still cancelling reservations weekly. That is a lot to leave in limbo for families traveling out of state, asking off work (if still working), etc. A lot of families save for YEARS in order to afford a single trip (sometimes once in a lifetime type of trip) to Disney! Cancelling reservations weekly and continuing to take reservations without announcing if they will actually open is careless IMHO.

I feel like if Disney would just release a target date a lot of the argument that Disney isn't planning, etc. could be resolved. I know that is the frustrating part for me, the open-ended speculation of when will they open? We personally have had 2 trips cancelled during the closure. We were actually supposed to leave yesterday for a weeklong trip at AKL and we moved it to July 5th-11 at CSR only to decide to cancel it because my husband only has so much vacation time yearly and didn't want to use that week if it wasn't a sure thing.
I've moved mine three times. Don't get me started on Disney Cruise line they are even worse. Even after the CDC issued a no sail order until the end of July they were still selling cruises in June and July.

Tom P.

It hasn't been made because they stopped development, not because it can't be done. It is extremely expensive to fully develop a vaccine and nobody is going to pay to do it if it isn't absolutely necessary. There would have been a SARS or MERS vaccine but both viruses were controlled with quarantines and died out on their own.
Honest question... if we never got a vaccine fot SARS or MERS because they died out on their own, is it possible the same thing will happen with COVID-19?

peter11435

Just a minor correction. Disney always wants to be open. They want to have never needed to close. They want to be able to open as soon as it makes sense.

It’s not that they didn’t want to open until August, it’s that they didn’t think it would be socially or financially responsible to open much before August. They have always had timelines and plans for opening earlier and later than August. August was just when internal models balancing finances, safety and health, social responsibility, and public relations indicated that conditions would be most favorable.
Just to clarify my own post. They never gave up on the idea of opening in June or July and they have not been taking reservations for periods they knew they would be closed. August was just the timeframe they forecasted to be of the highest probability to have favorable conditions. That never excluded the prospect of opening earlier.

Getachew

Just to clarify my own post. They never gave up on the idea of opening in June or July and they have not been taking reservations for periods they knew they would be closed. August was just the timeframe they forecasted to be of the highest probability. That never excluded the prospect of opening earlier.

so whats the highest probability now?

Just to clarify my own post. They never gave up on the idea of opening in June or July and they have not been taking reservations for periods they knew they would be closed. August was just the timeframe they forecasted to be of the highest probability. That never excluded the prospect of opening earlier.
Do you have a personal opinion on when they might reopen outside of any insider knowledge? It’s alright if you do not considering that it is a very fluid situation.

As I understand it August is still when they anticipate conditions would be most favorable to reopen safely. That said the current political and social climate will likely mean they reopen before those conditions are met.
Thank you for giving what perspective you have to, I worry both for the economy and public health of the Central FL region. It will be a difficult balance going forward whatever the case may be.

Tavernacle12

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, announce a date and stop dragging everyone along.

Why announce a date when it’s likely to get moved as well? They could throw ‘August 15th’ out there and everyone would start book and then woops, things are just as bad and now it’s October 7th.

I know it’s hard but assume things are going to be cancelled for awhile until suddenly they aren’t. Then you won’t constantly be disappointed.

rowrbazzle

I understand your frustration. I have a trip booked for this coming December and it's going to be a nightmare to plan and figure out dining, shows and MVMCP etc. I'm strongly considering rescheduling the trip to spring of 2021 but even then who knows what's going to be available in terms of attractions and shows etc. I'd prefer to have the full experience with no limitations.

I don't have a reservation so it's not impacting me personally. I'm just speaking from an outside perspective. I hope you get some clarification soon so you can decide whether or not to keep your trip.

Why announce a date when it’s likely to get moved as well? They could throw ‘August 15th’ out there and everyone would start book and then woops, things are just as bad and now it’s October 7th.

I know it’s hard but assume things are going to be cancelled for awhile until suddenly they aren’t. Then you won’t constantly be disappointed.

They should announce a date because they are taking reservations with (from what "insiders" are saying) no plans to reopen. You are correct it could change, but if they realistically think August is the best time to reopen stop taking reservations for July 1st. Do you not think those people who keep moving reservations aren't being constantly disappointed?

ETA: If they truly have no date in mind, why continue to take reservations and allow people to purchase party tickets? A target date that they are actually considering is better than what we have no which is basically dragging people along, getting their hopes up, and vacation time accounted/used only to be let down last minute.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if Disney came out tomorrow and said we have a firm opening date and it’s September 1 would that make people happy? Are people really just upset they haven‘t given any date or are they upset they haven’t given a date of the first week of June like Universal? My guess is the vast majority of people here fall in the second category. It would be nice to know for sure, but isn’t it better for them to leave things up in the air under the hope that they can push the date up sooner? I’d rather leave the door open then pick a date you are sure to hit and cancel all reservations before that.

So if Disney came out tomorrow and said we have a firm opening date and it’s September 1 would that make people happy? Are people really just upset they haven‘t given any date or are they upset they haven’t given a date of the first week of June like Universal? My guess is the vast majority of people here fall in the second category. It would be nice to know for sure, but isn’t it better for them to leave things up in the air under the hope that they can push the date up sooner? I’d rather leave the door open then pick a date you are sure to hit and cancel all reservations before that.
My frustration is I have had 2 trips cancelled due to the unknown. Disney should stop taking reservations until there is a date announced that they are actually planning to meet. WHEN they open isn't my issue, it's how they are handling the interim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom