Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

stratman50th

I’m in Seminole County...30 miles north of WDW. No mandatory masks. It was hot enough without one! Summer definitely arrived in Central Florida this weekend 😓!
It's been hot for two weeks! Just way dry. Reminded me of AZ!
I wore a mask early but to be honest haven't been doing it lately. We're in Polk and never had the mandatory mask requirement. We have had less than 5 cases here in our zip code since the start of this. Looking forward to our trip to Fort Wilderness in October, just hope some of the restaurants will be open by then.

Tony Perkis

It's really unwatchable regardless of your political affiliation. Whether I like or dislike the current administration I don't want to watch an entire monologue of jokes about that subject. Fallon is definietly the best when it comes to this. Take a shot if you want then move on to another newsworthy topic.

And his show is the worst because of it.

It isn’t shocking to see the correlation between his decision to not make his show politically and the ratings plunge of The Tonight Show relative to its late night counterparts.

brianstl

And his show is the worst because of it.

It isn’t shocking to see the correlation between his decision to not make his show politically and the ratings plunge of The Tonight Show relative to its late night counterparts.
This post is completely wrong, For this season Fallon’s show is second slightly behind Colbert in the TV ratings. That said Fallon clobbers them all when it comes to TV and streaming viewers combined. It isn’t even close. Fallon is by far the most watched host on late night TV.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

It's been hot for two weeks! Just way dry. Reminded me of AZ!
I wore a mask early but to be honest haven't been doing it lately. We're in Polk and never had the mandatory mask requirement. We have had less than 5 cases here in our zip code since the start of this. Looking forward to our trip to Fort Wilderness in October, just hope some of the restaurants will be open by then.
Miami is the trouble spot just like New York. Jammed packed with people.

natatomic

It just doesn’t work that way...

The information isn’t well distributed and and people generally wouldn’t know to get it if they wanted it.

And there are no mandatory unions...which means most don’t bother to pay for it until they get in trouble or have a grievance.

That’s why it says “represents” _,000 workers. There are far fewer paying members.
Not to mention, I don’t think anyone was running on a pro- or anti-mask platform during their elections. No one was voted in because CMs were thinking, “if one day, hypothetically speaking, we were to continue operating in a pandemic, I want someone who believes we should/shouldn’t be required to wear masks.” 😂

Approximately 0.00% of cast members ever even considered wearing a mask to work just a short 4 months ago, I’m sure.

Last edited:

The Visionary Soul

Okay, I’ve gotten a couple messages about WDW Pro and some other people here have been asking me some things, so here goes:

I have no idea who WDW Pro is.

My sources seem to indicate that “secure circuit” doesn’t seem to exist. It never did. I don’t know if my sources are mistaken, but these are the same internal sources (not the ones at Turner) who told me the GMR was closing. I tend to trust them.

WDW has been investigating multiple opening plans, and one includes ONLY World Showcase in Food and Wine festival mode, and only the Epcot resorts open, as well as Hollywood Studios. The idea here is the transportation systems can accommodate social distancing via Skyliner, and no buses, boats, or monorails will need to be operated. The problem with Magic Kingdom is the walkable nature, or rather, lack there of.

There is simply no way to operate the Magic Kingdom transportation with social distancing in place with normalization of park hours. The only way this can be established is if they require not only timed entry to the park, but also timed exits from the park. Reopening the MK is disaster because of the parking situation. The only solution being talked about is to run parking trams up and down World Drive under the water bridge and have it work as a massive exodus system, a la Disneyland and the Mickey & Friends Parking garage. Even then, they would still need to use ferry boat service to reach a decent capacity, and re-allocate parking teams from other parks.

Re-opening the parks will be a disaster, but the MK is a disaster waiting to happen or epic proportions. It’s very likely that MK will be the last to open.

I can’t speak for anything else WDW Pro is saying, although nothing seems all that far off. Anyway, take this with a grain of salt.

Tony Perkis

This post is completely wrong, For this season Fallon’s show is second slightly behind Colbert in the TV ratings. That said Fallon clobbers them all when it comes to TV and streaming viewers combined. It isn’t even close. Fallon is by far the most watched host on late night TV.
My post is out of date, but it wasn’t wrong entirely.

Rider

Cross posting from the Disney Springs thread:

I went to both CityWalk and Disney Springs today. Overall CityWalk was a lot less crowded and the guests all seemed to be following the rules. I could count on one hand the number of guests I saw holding a drink while walking around without a mask. Most guests ate and drank at tables or chairs. A much more common sight was guests finding an out of the way spot to sit and take it off for a break... with or without food.

In contrast Disney Springs was much busier and you couldn't go a couple minutes without guests not wearing masks. Many were nursing drinks (to various levels of believability) but there were also a number of guests who had no masks at all just walking around. And of the few times I saw cast members (there were very few walking around) they didn't say anything to guests with no mask.

Finally I saw Josh D'Amaro walking around too. He seemed nice and would stop for guests who recognized him and wanted to talk. However, I also saw him walk past and ignore guests who were not wearing masks on multiple occasions. It's easy to see why the cast don't want to enforce the rules if their leadership doesn't wan't to do it either.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I went to both CityWalk and Disney Springs today. Overall CityWalk was a lot less crowded and the guests all seemed to be following the rules. I could count on one hand the number of guests I saw holding a drink while walking around without a mask. Most guests ate and drank at tables or chairs. A much more common sight was guests finding an out of the way spot to sit and take it off for a break... with or without food.

In contrast Disney Springs was much busier and you couldn't go a couple minutes without guests not wearing masks. Many were nursing drinks (to various levels of believability) but there were also a number of guests who had no masks at all just walking around. And of the few times I saw cast members (there were very few walking around) they didn't say anything to guests with no mask.

Finally I saw Josh D'Amaro walking around too. He seemed nice and would stop for guests who recognized him and wanted to talk. However, I also saw him walk past and ignore guests who were not wearing masks on multiple occasions. It's easy to see why the cast don't want to enforce the rules if their leadership doesn't wan to do it either.

I can why Disney isn't in a hurry to reopen. If they can't enforce rules at Disney Springs what makes you think they can at a park.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No

Finally I saw Josh D'Amaro walking around too. He seemed nice and would stop for guests who recognized him and wanted to talk. However, I also saw him walk past and ignore guests who were not wearing masks on multiple occasions. It's easy to see why the cast don't want to enforce the rules if their leadership doesn't wan to do it either.

Ask anyone who has worked in a service business or retail for a time, most confrontations with guests never end well. We've been conditioned to believe that the customer is always right. Disney knows this.

oceanbreeze77

Okay, I’ve gotten a couple messages about WDW Pro and some other people here have been asking me some things, so here goes:

I have no idea who WDW Pro is.

My sources seem to indicate that “secure circuit” doesn’t seem to exist. It never did. I don’t know if my sources are mistaken, but these are the same internal sources (not the ones at Turner) who told me the GMR was closing. I tend to trust them.

WDW has been investigating multiple opening plans, and one includes ONLY World Showcase in Food and Wine festival mode, and only the Epcot resorts open, as well as Hollywood Studios. The idea here is the transportation systems can accommodate social distancing via Skyliner, and no buses, boats, or monorails will need to be operated. The problem with Magic Kingdom is the walkable nature, or rather, lack there of.

There is simply no way to operate the Magic Kingdom transportation with social distancing in place with normalization of park hours. The only way this can be established is if they require not only timed entry to the park, but also timed exits from the park. Reopening the MK is disaster because of the parking situation. The only solution being talked about is to run parking trams up and down World Drive under the water bridge and have it work as a massive exodus system, a la Disneyland and the Mickey & Friends Parking garage. Even then, they would still need to use ferry boat service to reach a decent capacity, and re-allocate parking teams from other parks.

Re-opening the parks will be a disaster, but the MK is a disaster waiting to happen or epic proportions. It’s very likely that MK will be the last to open.

I can’t speak for anything else WDW Pro is saying, although nothing seems all that far off. Anyway, take this with a grain of salt.
any word on when?

surfsupdon

I get that it’s a rule Disney made.
I also get that you’re outside and walking in non crowded locations.

It would be much worse if it was more crowded.

Classic example of ‘pick your battles.’

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom