Universal need a worldclass show

JordanNite

Original Poster
They have truly the greatest attractions on the planet, cutting edge technology (no matter the debate about screens). They've broken boundaries with the immersive experiences of the Harry Potter worlds.

But they have some really poor shows going over at Universal. Animal Factory over at Studios, and Sinbad are pretty poor. Fear Factor is an utter waste of time too.

Universal do have a brilliant show under their banner in Waterworld - over at Hollywood and Singapore (and i think Japan). If you haven't seen it, go youtube it, it's fantastic - even though the film it's based on wasn't exactly a massive deal.

Shows are good - they allow you to take a breather, some time out, to chill and relax and make you appreciate rides somewhat more. It just adds to the experience. They can also take up to a good thousand people of capacity at times to clear out crowds.

What do you all think?

Universal used to have some nice shows over at Hollywood - i remember a cowboy comedy show that was hillarious when i was a young kid.

Compare to some neat shows over at Disney - Indiana Jones, Stunt Motor show, Lion King, Nemo, some nice shows. I enjoy some of the shows over at Sea World too!

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Sinbad has a lot of potential, but I don't think even this refurb will bring it up to par. It's too bad that you can have such great stunts and tech, but the writing brings it down.
And, musically, there's no great show stopping show like Nemo or even FOLK. I'd love if they could fill Fear Factor AND the Toon Theatre with a great Nemo or Busch/SeaWorld caliber stage show.

Last edited:

Tinkerkelle

And, musically, there's no great show stopping show like Nemo or even FOLK. I'd love if they could fill Fear Factor AND the Toon Theatre with a great Nemo or Busch/SeaWorld caliber stage show.

Agreed. Nemo is amazing, as is FotLK and we like BatB at HS. Uni could really benefit from a showstopper but musicals are more a Disney thing I suppose. Not sure which franchise would be turned into a musical? Having said that they turned Spiderman into a musical and didn't they do a musical episode of the simpsons or did I totally make that up?!

JediMasterMatt

While a theater style show would be nice, Universal still has it's fair share of projection based attractions to offset the need to sit and watch something. I don't think the niche that needs filled is quite as strong as it could be.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Agreed. Nemo is amazing, as is FotLK and we like BatB at HS. Uni could really benefit from a showstopper but musicals are more a Disney thing I suppose. Not sure which franchise would be turned into a musical? Having said that they turned Spiderman into a musical and didn't they do a musical episode of the simpsons or did I totally make that up?!
Actually, Universal has the rights to Wicked, which they ran in the Japan park. Maybe it'll eventually make sense to run here as well.
But look at Nemo: the music is written specifically for the stage show. Who's to say they couldn't find one Universal family movie to give the same treatment?

fosse76

Personally, I don't really think any of Disney's stage shows are all that "World Class" either. I'd say Indiana Jones, LMA, and Finding Nemo are simply high-budget (with Finding Nemo having some of the worst music and ugliest set I've seen in any setting). While I disagree about the screened-based attractions being somewhat of a substitute, Universal could use an update at least with some of its offerings. Animal Actors isn;t a bad show per se, but it definitely needs an update. Sinbad definitely needs a better script, but I like that it is a show, rather than a "demonstration" like Indiana Jones. Beetlejuice should just be replaced period (though with a sequel in development maybe a better update than what it received).

Mike C

Personally, I don't really think any of Disney's stage shows are all that "World Class" either. I'd say Indiana Jones, LMA, and Finding Nemo are simply high-budget (with Finding Nemo having some of the worst music and ugliest set I've seen in any setting). While I disagree about the screened-based attractions being somewhat of a substitute, Universal could use an update at least with some of its offerings. Animal Actors isn;t a bad show per se, but it definitely needs an update. Sinbad definitely needs a better script, but I like that it is a show, rather than a "demonstration" like Indiana Jones. Beetlejuice should just be replaced period (though with a sequel in development maybe a better update than what it received).

Sindbad is closed right now (has been since after spring break) and is being redone with new stunts and a new script it (re-opens next week).

That said, Aladdin at California Adventure is probably Disney's best in park show.

nerdboyrockstar

I actually really agree with this. The sad part is Universal actually puts on great stage shows on Broadway between Wicked, Billy Elliot, Side Show, Bring It On, etc. I've always wished they had a theater where they would rotate abbreviated versions of these shows for the park.

Tony Perkis

Wait, what's a great show? Is it master recordings of movies playing over people dancing in costume?

Orlando has a great musical theatre center. They're fine.

Mukta

I'm so glad someone else remembers the hilarious Western themed stunt show!

I am pretty sad that Universal Hollywood is mostly rides these days. They used to have fabulous shows that showed how movies were made, showcased different genres and celebrated movies.

odmichael

They need a cool night closer at their parks with lazers and fireworks. The water show at night at Universal looks like they're just advertising all their movies to you so you stop in the gift shop and pick up a DVD on the way out the park. They need something more. Same with Islands of Adventure. Have the Parks close and hour apart to separate the two shows. Also gives more use to the Hogwarts Express.

JordanNite

Original Poster
Honestly ... they should transfer the Waterworld show over from Hollywood and Singapore. Brilliant show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom