Universal has made me a believer

cheezbat

Love Disney. Love Universal. Love Busch Gardens...and theme parks in general. For me, I see Universal as a great compliment to the Disney parks down here. I hate people who go nuts saying you can't like both. Why not? That makes no sense! It's like saying you can't like drinking Coke and Mountain Dew.:p

Universal has done quite a bit the past few years to really get my attention and my money, whereas Disney has done basically nothing to get my money on this coast of the USA in the past 5 years. Wizarding World is awesome. And some people love it, some may not. It's not for everyone. But neither is Space Mountain, or Princess meet n greets, or Kraken, or Dumbo, etc. There's a variety of attractions at the parks to entice all groups and ages...and I'm excited to see the WWOHP expansion in a few years.

As for the whole waterpark thing...Wet N Wild is most likely going bye-bye in a few years, when Universal will bring a highly themed waterpark to the resort property. I guarantee it will give Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon a run for their money.

JT3000

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum... with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Guess that makes you the troll. At first I assumed that this thread was originally posted in the WDW forum and you were getting your panties in a bunch as a result, but then I realized you're just completely bonkers. If you don't want to see people discussing Universal, why in the world are you in the Universal forum? The person throwing this thread off-topic with inflammatory comments, and therefore trolling, was YOURSELF.

Do-not-feed-the-troll.png

well spoken but i have to addmit this expantion better be as kickass as the picture is because WWOHP is very realistic

The Mom

Premium Member
This is the absolutely correct forum for discussions about Universal.

The fact that the topic has been discussed before isn't really relevant, unless it had to be locked because it got too nasty. There are many topics about WDW that are raised and discussed over and over and over again.

So let's save the title "troll" for the real ones - Lord knows we get enough of them. ;)

Btw, I've stayed at Portofino twice, the first time for free when they comped my room because I took the time to fill out a survey when the hotel first opened. I alerted them to a danger with their room decor - high 4 poster beds + marble floors + small children/elderly/disabaled = accidents . As I recall, either the rooms have carpets now,there is a rug that extends around the bed area, or the beds are lower. I don't recall exactly what they did - I haven't been lately- I just know that I got the impression that the problem had been addressed.

So, even though I'm not a fanatic about US/IOA, I still like to visit from time to time.

dave&di

I don't claim omnicience. The OP stated his intentions explicitly.

Anyone who has been "reading this forum for months" knows that this conversation has been had. If the OP wanted to continue said conversation, there are venues to do so.

But I see I stand alone, so I'll back out of the conversation.

Carry on.

I think he's jumped into the hole he dug himself! :lol:

Coach81

Universal has already surpassed Disney world in my book. I am planning my second consecutive trip to Orlando without stepping foot onto Disney's Property. The plan is to do Universal Studios, IOA, Seaworld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens. It will be my first visit to Aquatica and Busch gardens. I find that that Universal parks compliment the Busch parks very nicely.

I think personally the only thing Universal is missing is a top flight waterpark to compete with Disney's Tyhpoon lagoon and Blizzard beach, and a more affordable hotel option.

Aquatica is FANTASTIC!!!! Get ready to experience your "top flight" waterpark!!!

menamechris

As for the whole waterpark thing...Wet N Wild is most likely going bye-bye in a few years, when Universal will bring a highly themed waterpark to the resort property. I guarantee it will give Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon a run for their money.

The problem is that Wet 'N Wild IS Universal. It is owned by them. As far as a waterpark being built inside the Universal Studios Resort - there simply isn't the room. They are landlocked -with maybe enough space left to place a modest hotel right next to I-4.

Ferg

I went to WDW and US/IOA earlier this month. We really enjoyed all 6 parks! I am not a Harry Potter fan. In fact, we don't care for the movies. But we really did appreciate the theming there and loved the FJ ride. My kids loved Hippogriph. And the butterbeer was good! :)

I thought the 2 parks were very different than Disney, but that isn't bad. We liked them all! Also love Mummy ride and the Horror Make Up show shouldn't be missed! Also liked the Simpsons ride but hated the movie while waiting in line. It was loud and obnoxious. But the ride was fun!

This is only my second post and I'm not a troll. Be nice! Gotta start somewhere!:wave:

By the way, what is Aquatica? Is it in Orlando and part of the Sea World franchise or is it at Busch Gardens in Tampa?

cheezbat

The problem is that Wet 'N Wild IS Universal. It is owned by them. As far as a waterpark being built inside the Universal Studios Resort - there simply isn't the room. They are landlocked -with maybe enough space left to place a modest hotel right next to I-4.

Actually, Wet N Wild may be OWNED by Universal now, but it wasn't originally their creation. They bought it, and i think did so with the complete intention to eventually move it to their land.
And as for land...well, next to Islands there is an overflow lot for Universal team members, that has also served in the past as a place for stuff to be assembled before being placed into the parks. What I have heard is that this very plot of land is the spot they plan on using for their on-site waterpark. The plot of land is easily 50 acres, so I don't see where the problem with the land comes in.

jonnyc

Also, the only Problem I found with the parks was the Universal Express offering (their version of the FastPass that you have to pay for). If they were to switch this with something more similar to the FastPass the parks would be even better. I had little problems because of the low crowds, but on a peak day I am sure it is hard to ride certain rides without the Express Pass. This was literally my only complaint about the parks.

If I remember correctly they did at one time have a fastpass style Express Pass. You can queue jump all rides at any time you want if you stay at one of the Universal resorts and show your room key. If Universal were to expand there hotel capacity to Disney-size level this would surely create chaos!

menamechris

Actually, Wet N Wild may be OWNED by Universal now, but it wasn't originally their creation. They bought it, and i think did so with the complete intention to eventually move it to their land.
And as for land...well, next to Islands there is an overflow lot for Universal team members, that has also served in the past as a place for stuff to be assembled before being placed into the parks. What I have heard is that this very plot of land is the spot they plan on using for their on-site waterpark. The plot of land is easily 50 acres, so I don't see where the problem with the land comes in.

Well, you are right - because Wet 'N Wild has been around since the 70's, I believe. Universal Orlando didn't come about until around 1989. However, why on earth would anyone think they would pick it up and move it across the street? Moreover, why would they have expanded Wet 'N Wild and added more attractions to it after purchasing it if there was any intention of closing it? It just doesn't make sense. Wet 'n Wild does well for what it is and where it is. Universal has absoluetly no incentive to just abandon it and leave it to rot, and they certainly wouldn't sell it, because the buyer would be a competitor right up the street.

As far as land goes, I know which plot of land you are talking about. But even in your own statement, you stated it is the plot of land that they use for necessary overflow and assembly. This "backstage" kind of area is totally necessary. If they used that 50 acres to build another park, there is no question they would be completely maxed out. What happens if they need another parking structure in 10 years? Or if they decide to expand IOA or Universal? There would be no construction or "holding" area to do that.. Anyways - its a cool rumor, just totally not a true one.

menamechris

I don't see why another park would be built but some on site hotels might work.

This would be a more likely use of that land - IF they ever decide to develop it. Their situation is so vastley different from Disney's. Universal is has neighborhoods surrounding it. There is nowhere for them to expand past what they already have as far as land goes. So I am pretty sure if they ever decide to develop what little (50 acres?) is left - it will be for a slamdunk money maker. Not to build a waterpark - again - especially considering they already make bank on Wet 'n Wild.

SiriusBlack

Original Poster
I definitely don't think they have the land to build anything but maybe another hotel. They do have a little room to expand on the parks a little if they wanted, but right now I think they are a good size.

In terms of Wet'nWild. It appeared to be doing quite well despite it being March. There were a lot of people waiting on the slides. Of course a themed waterpark would be cooler, but they have some really big slides. Seems like a waste of an undertaking for Universal to just uproot the slides to make their themed area. I wish I would have added the waterpark option onto my package. it looked like a lot of fun.

71jason

Well, you are right - because Wet 'N Wild has been around since the 70's, I believe. Universal Orlando didn't come about until around 1989. However, why on earth would anyone think they would pick it up and move it across the street? Moreover, why would they have expanded Wet 'N Wild and added more attractions to it after purchasing it if there was any intention of closing it?

The same man who invented Sea World and Magic Mountain invented Wet N Wild (George Millay). He sold both years ago (decades for Sea World), but a couple years ago he wrote an autobiography where he stated that the land under Wet n Wild was leased, and at a certain point the rent could go up to an astronomical rate. Didn't say exactly when but speculation was around 2011, I think that was based on the assumption of a 25-year lease.

That book came out at the peak of the real estate bubble, when Mercado and Watermania were shut down to build condos, and two or three more condo towers were rumored for I-Drive. Of course, none were built, so it's possible whoever owns the land under WnW decided to sit tight a little while longer. But the theory is sooner or later WnW is going to lose its lease and have to be moved or closed.

Notice everything WnW has built since Uni bought it is an above ground ride that could be easily moved ("easily" being a relative term here).

menamechris

The same man who invented Sea World and Magic Mountain invented Wet N Wild (George Millay). He sold both years ago (decades for Sea World), but a couple years ago he wrote an autobiography where he stated that the land under Wet n Wild was leased, and at a certain point the rent could go up to an astronomical rate. Didn't say exactly when but speculation was around 2011, I think that was based on the assumption of a 25-year lease.

That book came out at the peak of the real estate bubble, when Mercado and Watermania were shut down to build condos, and two or three more condo towers were rumored for I-Drive. Of course, none were built, so it's possible whoever owns the land under WnW decided to sit tight a little while longer. But the theory is sooner or later WnW is going to lose its lease and have to be moved or closed.

Notice everything WnW has built since Uni bought it is an above ground ride that could be easily moved ("easily" being a relative term here).

Wow, really? That seems like it was an awful business move for Universal then. If that was a part of the contract, they should have walked away and just built their own, since apparently that was allegedly their intention all along. They could have probably built for the price they bought... Now why wouldn't they just do that unless they didn't want to use what little space they have left for a waterpark?

PirateRule

I don't claim omnicience. The OP stated his intentions explicitly.

Anyone who has been "reading this forum for months" knows that this conversation has been had. If the OP wanted to continue said conversation, there are venues to do so.

But I see I stand alone, so I'll back out of the conversation.

Carry on.
Maybe jim is like me and hasn't posted for a while? I had to create a user because it's been forever.

I think anyone who comes ONTO a Universal segment of the board and posts anti-Universal and/or pro WDW comments is the REAL troll.
You see it all the time on threads around all the boards.
It's as if the WDW lovers cannot BEAR the thought that people like Universal better than WDW.
Chill out and stay on the section of the board that you love.

To me, all of these negative Disneyphobes turn me off of Disney far more than they do Universal.

Chevross

I like how Universal set up their Express lines. Stay on property and use your hotel key card as the pass. Turned a two hour wait into a twenty minute wait for me. That was pre-Harry Potter days though if that tells you how long it's been since I've been to Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom