Universal has made me a believer

dcollins

Those were the OP's intentions. You seem to have ulterior motives, as you've only made three posts in the forum and the very first one is about how you're planning your second consecutive trip to Orlando "without stepping foot onto Disney property." Which begs the question: Why would he/she join a WALT DISNEY WORLD fan community in the first place, if not to irritate its members?

And that's not to say I'm personally irritated. I could care less about what you say, but why you say it is a perfectly valid reason to flag someone for trolling.

I realize this thread is several weeks old, but I had to register to point out that I just found wdwmagic today by...guess what...googling "Universal Orlando forum" :eek:

:ROFLOL:

MightyGitis

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here. I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I have been to IOA twice since the Wizarding World opened. Last year we went in the month PRECEDING the grand opening (that's how big of a fan girl I am, we booked early and then got in Wizarding World early as a result). I agree that Universal has improved, that being said...

They have not surpassed Disney in theming and in customer service.

Some areas are delightfully themed, such as Wizarding World, Marvel Island, and the area around the Jaws ride on the Studios side. Other areas are just a sequencing of buildings that they have put rides in. Like Shrek 4D, Disaster!,E.T., Twister or Terminator 2: 3D.

The rides are not designed to accommodate all people, and most require you to part from possessions forcing you to put them in lockers, some of which begin to charge you money before you reach the end of the line queue. The snafu when the Potter ride open with people being unable to fit is clear evidence of this.

We stayed at the Loew's Pacific Royale, and though the boat to the park was nice, the rooms were overpriced and not in the best shape. And despite the push by Universal to get a multi-day package, even in the heaviest season you can experience all attractions in both parks with a single day two-park ticket.

The pay fastpass is also a slightly sickening gimmick to get more money out of you. You basically pay $30 more per person for a little piece of paper to bypass lines. And it's executed poorly, causing lengthy stand by lines while others walk right pass them into the attraction in droves.

They are trying. They are not there.

PS - I am not a troll, just making a well thought out response to the original post with my opinion. Too often people decide people with different opinions are trolls, really its HOW you state your opinion that may or may not make a troll.

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here. I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I have been to IOA twice since the Wizarding World opened. Last year we went in the month PRECEDING the grand opening (that's how big of a fan girl I am, we booked early and then got in Wizarding World early as a result). I agree that Universal has improved, that being said...

They have not surpassed Disney in theming and in customer service.

Some areas are delightfully themed, such as Wizarding World, Marvel Island, and the area around the Jaws ride on the Studios side. Other areas are just a sequencing of buildings that they have put rides in. Like Shrek 4D, Disaster!,E.T., Twister or Terminator 2: 3D.

The rides are not designed to accommodate all people, and most require you to part from possessions forcing you to put them in lockers, some of which begin to charge you money before you reach the end of the line queue. The snafu when the Potter ride open with people being unable to fit is clear evidence of this.

We stayed at the Loew's Pacific Royale, and though the boat to the park was nice, the rooms were overpriced and not in the best shape. And despite the push by Universal to get a multi-day package, even in the heaviest season you can experience all attractions in both parks with a single day two-park ticket.

The pay fastpass is also a slightly sickening gimmick to get more money out of you. You basically pay $30 more per person for a little piece of paper to bypass lines. And it's executed poorly, causing lengthy stand by lines while others walk right pass them into the attraction in droves.

They are trying. They are not there.

PS - I am not a troll, just making a well thought out response to the original post with my opinion. Too often people decide people with different opinions are trolls, really its HOW you state your opinion that may or may not make a troll.

Thank you. Its so nice to hear people disagree with logic and clearly stated opinion (that is put forth as opinion). While agree with you about the studios looking like they are in random buildings placed there I gotta disagree with Disaster. granted its not as nice as the New York section or the Martha's Vineyard section but the San Fransisco section is nice (btw how did SF get in between NY and Mass?) I do wish they would work on the theming at the front (Newtron's, Shrek, RRR, Twister) and the back (WWW, MIB, the Simpsons, ET, and the childs area) Those really seem disjointed and make the actual areas that are themed seem random.

PS The studios is my favorite park right now

BigThunderMatt

I have said time and time again that I am glad Disney did not get their hands on Harry Potter. I thoroughly enjoyed Universal pre-Harry Potter, but I know they struck gold with it because they had the faith to take a risk that Disney was unwilling to take: giving J.K. Rowling creative control, where she should rightly have it.

Although I can see that both Rowling and Disney are control freaks, if Disney had gotten it, I know what would have happened. The intellectual property would have been watered down. The merchandise would have screamed 'generic Disney crap' all over it. Know all that Disney/Star Wars hybrid stuff they sell at Star Tours? Well...there you go, they would have done that with Harry Potter. Food locations would have served burgers and fries. Butterbeer would likely be nonexistent.

The thing about WWoHP that makes it really work isn't just the superb theming and attention to detail. It's that it caters to both casual parkgoers looking for the next big thing, and the die-hard HP fan as well. As far as merchandise goes you've got your typical theme park fare. But there's SO many other things you can purchase that only really have special meaning to people who are fans of the series.

The thing I love most though is the lack of corporate branding. Everything there seems like it BELONGS there. There's no attempt to shoehorn Coca-Cola into the wizarding village of Hogsmeade. Nothing sold overtly states 'Universal Orlando' or hints at anything other than pure Harry Potter. You truly feel as if you are in the world lifted right from the books and films.

Disney is capable of doing these kinds of things...or was at one point. What made Disney great though, was the ability to do this with unique intellectual property of their own, things that weren't based on existing media. Some of the most classic Disney attractions sprang into being from sheer creative talent. The sad truth is, however, that Disney hasn't done anything on that scale, at least at WDW, in a significant amount of time.

glendroid

I have said time and time again that I am glad Disney did not get their hands on Harry Potter. I thoroughly enjoyed Universal pre-Harry Potter, but I know they struck gold with it because they had the faith to take a risk that Disney was unwilling to take: giving J.K. Rowling creative control, where she should rightly have it.

Although I can see that both Rowling and Disney are control freaks, if Disney had gotten it, I know what would have happened. The intellectual property would have been watered down. The merchandise would have screamed 'generic Disney crap' all over it. Know all that Disney/Star Wars hybrid stuff they sell at Star Tours? Well...there you go, they would have done that with Harry Potter. Food locations would have served burgers and fries. Butterbeer would likely be nonexistent.

The thing about WWoHP that makes it really work isn't just the superb theming and attention to detail. It's that it caters to both casual parkgoers looking for the next big thing, and the die-hard HP fan as well. As far as merchandise goes you've got your typical theme park fare. But there's SO many other things you can purchase that only really have special meaning to people who are fans of the series.

The thing I love most though is the lack of corporate branding. Everything there seems like it BELONGS there. There's no attempt to shoehorn Coca-Cola into the wizarding village of Hogsmeade. Nothing sold overtly states 'Universal Orlando' or hints at anything other than pure Harry Potter. You truly feel as if you are in the world lifted right from the books and films.

Disney is capable of doing these kinds of things...or was at one point. What made Disney great though, was the ability to do this with unique intellectual property of their own, things that weren't based on existing media. Some of the most classic Disney attractions sprang into being from sheer creative talent. The sad truth is, however, that Disney hasn't done anything on that scale, at least at WDW, in a significant amount of time.

While the creative control they gave her was good in someways, it was poor in others. While I understand her want to provide an experience true to her vision in her books, she is still an author and not a theme park designer.

I LOVE the stores to death... But that's if you enjoy being herded like cattle and waiting in line to spend your money. I feel that there was definitely room for improvement there.

As a whole it's a great addition.... I just feel that it could have been so much more if universal had put more money into the project.

As for express pass plus? It's a great system compared to fast pass. It actually makes stand by a lot faster for the average guest. I love it and will buy it every time.

JT3000

As a whole it's a great addition.... I just feel that it could have been so much more if universal had put more money into the project.

What part of the project did you feel was cheap? Its size has nothing to do with money. That's what they had to work with. If the stores were larger, the pathways would be smaller.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

The entire Potter experience when I visited was based off of the forced perspective Disney has obviously mastered time over. There was not much really groundbreaking that Disney has not done or had a variation of in one of the parks.

I'll be another to say I am glad Disney had no parts of Harry Potter. Potter is nothing more than a fad and will never be a long time great. Odds have it that the only thing 15 years from now keeping Potter alive will be what of it resides in Orlando.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Gawd how I love fan boys inane witterings . Not as much as the self love they have for themselves though.

If you are referring to me then you are far off base. Disliking a company and thinking their actions and things that they build are dumb does not qualify someone as a "fanboy." Harry Potter is a fad that has lived its heyday and will eventually become another one of the "Oh yea I think I remember that book/movie." Universal is known for making a string of bad choices that are recognized on several of their boards as well as other park company's boards. Just because someone does not like one place does not mean they are a fanboy of another.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Are your a mystic then? What are you basing your inciteful analysis on?

If you arent a fan boy Im surprised because your post reeks of the usual clichés they favour.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Are your a mystic then? What are you basing your inciteful analysis on?

If you arent a fan boy Im surprised because your post reeks of the usual clichés they favour.

I am sure it reeks of fanboy status, but I am biasing against Universal and not toward another park. The level of interest on Harry Potter has already dropped off. Take a good look at the interest level of the general population related to him. The only time you hear or see something build big is around the release of a film or book (which as you know has seen its last). Look at the trend of interest and it is clearly visible. Harryland appeals to a certain demographic and has no draw for others to visit it. The demographic is is based on will eventually grow and move on to other things. After a few cycles there will be a new "big series" as there has always been while the other is better left a memory; not a mega expensive expansion on a park that is only going to be seen as the Suess land of today.

So using other comparative series and movies as a basis to gauge general interest after new content has ended would be my "basis of analysis."

My big argument against the entire area is how they say it is all ground breaking technology down to the buildings. The building styling was built on the forced perspective that Disney has used for years upon year. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Busch Gardens openly says that their build stylings are based off of Disney's forced perspective that that made popular. They are not shy about admitting the fact but Universal is.

If you had to classify me as a fanboy then a better category to throw me in would be a Busch fanboy. I live 30 minutes away from Williamsburg and visit at least two-three times every week during the summer. Still then I do not go to extremes and denote planters and signs changed at random. Someone who denotes even minor changes down to the type of toilet paper used in restrooms could be seen as fanboys.

After never going to Universal growing up and now going a few times in the past two years I see nothing special about it. The park has never really been clean on any of my visits, there is no major draw or enjoyment aspect to me, they build things that lose interest in a quick fashion. Employees are very irritable, not outgoing, and are not very friendly people. That alone speaks to me volumes about how management cares very little if they hire people like that. It is not my favorite place and the construction of Harryville has done nothing but reinforce my opinion on why I very seldom make a visit there.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Again lots of words passing opinion as fact. Dress it up anyway you want but there is nothing you can substantiate any of that drivel with anything remotely classed as supporting evidence.

You have no idea if Potter will stand the test and be a Star Wars or a Back to the Future. After all comic books are the domain of sad losers but they seem to generate enough interest to support attractions.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Again lots of words passing opinion as fact. Dress it up anyway you want but there is nothing you can substantiate any of that drivel with anything remotely classed as supporting evidence.

You have no idea if Potter will stand the test and be a Star Wars or a Back to the Future. After all comic books are the domain of sad losers but they seem to generate enough interest to support attractions.

Trends. Research them.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
So explain Star Wars?

Appealed to almost every age group. A true innovator at the helm of its creation. The fact that young and old enjoyed it has played a huge factor to the longevity of it. Not only does it appeal to an entire age range it also appeals to regular average people, sci fi fanatics, space fanatics (guilt claimed here :/ ), etc.

George Lucas is also a creative genius outside of just a "story". The effects, cameras, and technology as a whole that was created during its conception has set it aside from most others.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
And Potter appeals to who?

Most of that is subjective and certainly a localised perspective.

Pre-teen through late teen years. Not saying there aren't adults that enjoy it but I know very few and see very few adults going crazy over it. The few I do see are only really excited because it is new and something out of the ordinary to do for now. New things jade as time goes on unless there is true innovation behind it. Take close observation on your stroll through next time you visit. Take a gander at who is there enjoying it an getting excited and who is there because their kids or their group is wanting to experience it.

Wizarding was a trend that hit and has fallen by the wayside to now vampires and werewolves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom