universal going unfair on their website

Mr Bill

Close...actually, the New Coke thing was to disguise the change from a sugar sweetener to High Fructose Corn Syrup. Coke introduced the New Coke so that there would be no regular "old Coke" on the shelves when the new "Classic Coke" came out.

I should know...I used to work for the company that sold Coke on HFCS.

:fork: :fork: :fork:

DisneyBride94

I must say that I (a Coke drinker) DO like Diet Pepsi's new television commercially which starts off making wide sweeping, unsustantiated claims... such as EVERYBODY prefers Diet Pepsi to Coke... Then it says Almost Everybody... or Most... or something like that... then it says okay... 56% of diet cola drinkers prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke... and the end up with the statment "A little over half of all diet cola drinkers prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke." (Not that you'd ever get me to drink the stuff!). But it was actually refreshing to see a company back things up with numbers and laugh at themselves a bit to make their point... Kudos to Pepsi on that one....

And yes, I will go see the Harry Potter stuff when they've got it up and running.. it will be the only thing that lures me over there for any reason... but it will just be a day trip. I'm a Disney Girl. Always will be. :D

primetime52

One of the rules for the entertainment business (whether tv, radio, theme parks, movies, etc) is to never mention the competition when you are the one on top. If you are the top dog, you have absolutely nothing to gain by mentioning the competition since all that will do is alert potential customers to them. That's why you will never see Disney mention Universal Orlando.

However, when you're on the bottom like Universal is, you can potentially gain by making unfair comparisons like that or by poking fun at your more profitable competition. This is just another piece of evidence to show that Universal is well behind Disney right now and is desperately trying to soil Disney in any way they can.

PigletIsMyCat

Someone had stated that before Disney was here, Orlando was an itty bitty town with not much going on.

My mother (who now lives/works in the Orlando area) loves telling me the story of her honeymoon. She and my father married in 1976 and there was much family here in Florida. Rich family. Who invited them to stay at a very exclusive club on an island or something crazy like that where the Friday Night Fish Fry came with your own private waitress to hold your plate for you and pile it high on the gourmet buffet line.

But I digress.

The story is that they stopped at Disney over Halloween weekend. It was the first year of Haunted Mansion's operation, and they were allowing guests to ride for free (this is in the day of A-E tickets). My mother tells me that they flew into Orlando Airport, which she describes as a large-ish hut and two short runways, on a teensy plane. I believe her, because she did spend alot of time around airplanes and such growing up (my grandfather worked on the first unmanned lunar module) so when she says two short runways, she knows what she means.

Of course, most of you know what Orlando INTERNATIONAL Aiport looks like now. A far cry from two runways and a lone building staffed by two guys at any given time.

Capt. Jack

Disney may begin to lose the Teenager+ age group, as far as parents & little kids go, they'll always keep going back to Disney due to the lack of Childrens Rides at Universal.

disney_nutter

what is everyones problem really we have had this discussion before. What universal is doing is called advertising, its business they are doing nothing wrong they are appealing to people who find disney sicking. I dont get this im a disney fan boy but it doesnt bother me that universal uses this type of advertising as it works for them. As for universal attenedence is down blah blah, do you think that they dont know this at the end of the day, universal and its fans know that the attendence will never be as good as disney. But sadly at the end of the day neither can exsist on there own they both bring business to each other and you cant over react at everything that a company uses as a advertising stunt. Next you will be complaing that sherk picks fun at disney cartoons. I know for a fact that people here agree with me that some people just over react on these boards and we have at least one of two universal empolyess but do see them going on the universal section complaing. Here endth my speech :zipit:

joshwill

i saw their "compare to disney" page on universal's site, it was toatlly unfair
like universal's called one of their section's "today's hottest enteratamint" (surely none of them is aquired with universal) tha called disney's "yesterday's classic fariytales" monster's inc isn't that old. pets universal=yes disney=no. disney cares about safety, say like a dog goes nuts in one of the hotel's and it is half ruined, universal wants thier hotels destroyed (they might). on the water ride section they missed two (malstrom and backlot tour) disney had more thrill rides than universal, but universal counted their's as "better". and more importantly the unfair thing is universal's rides have "clicks" disney dosen't. people said on one of my other threads "they don't compete" why lie and go on their website and see that mean page about disney? i think disney should sue that page:mad: !!!!

how does one sue a page?

majortom1981

Universal does have better thrill rides. You can't deny that. Heck Dueling Dragons by itself beats all disneys thrill rides combined.

The problem with universal though is there main thing is thrill rides. Thats a huge problem since now they are competing with cedar Point and Great Adventure. Disney is a complete different experience and complements both those parks.

I wouldnt worry about universals marketing tactics.

WildcatDen

since now they are competing with cedar Point and Great Adventure.

That is a good point, however, as far as Thrill Rides go, there really is NO competition with Cedar Point. I would say USF competes, thrill ride wise, with the likes of Kings Island and Kings Dominion and even there, they do not have a clear advantage.

As for the marketing. . .point made. I live in Ohio and I would never plan a trip to Orlando to vist USF. Never. Now I may eventually plan a two week vacation to Orlando where I spend a week + at WDW, a day at USF, a day at Sea World and another day running over to the Cape.

One post said they the two can not live without each other. I think that is rather one sided. USF could not live without WDW. I offer a guess that WDW would do just fine if USF folded.

Just my two cents from a Season Pass holder at King's Island.

majortom1981

That is a good point, however, as far as Thrill Rides go, there really is NO competition with Cedar Point. I would say USF competes, thrill ride wise, with the likes of Kings Island and Kings Dominion and even there, they do not have a clear advantage.

As for the marketing. . .point made. I live in Ohio and I would never plan a trip to Orlando to vist USF. Never. Now I may eventually plan a two week vacation to Orlando where I spend a week + at WDW, a day at USF, a day at Sea World and another day running over to the Cape.

One post said they the two can not live without each other. I think that is rather one sided. USF could not live without WDW. I offer a guess that WDW would do just fine if USF folded.

Just my two cents from a Season Pass holder at King's Island.

I known that Universal doesnt really compete with the point or great adventure since both parks have a lot more thrill rides but they were the first ones that came to my mind.

Disney has nothing to worry about because its a completely different experience then anything out there . Universal sort of has an identity crisis that they must work out.

DisneyMusician2

I think that Universal is trying desperately to get younger. Who under 25 really remembers Earthquake? They have been doing it by adding numerous thrill rides and with some rather inventive marketing. However, they are still not competing, in fact, their numbers are falling off. Here is the truth, and why Disney has been successful: If you can cater well to all kinds and ages of guests, your park will always draw. And if you can buoy your attendance with entertainment already in the public eye, do it. Universal is trying to take what kids today know, but their basic theming and approach is flawed. That is why people go to Universal, but vacation at Disney.

fers31

The truth is, Universal does have more THRILL rides than Disney. This brings in a different demographic. While Disney is a better park as a whole, both Disney and Universal need each other. They push each other to be better and come up with better technology. If either of them were by themselves, the parks would probably become stale. Each drives the other and in the end, we, the consumers benefit. So Thank You Disney and Thank You Universal. Do to the competition Florida has, by far, the greatest rides in the world!!!!

kcnole

A couple of comments:

Who actually stays at the Universal resorts? Hahahaha...I would never...

They're always booked up when I've tried to stay other than a few times and its your loss if you don't. They are beautiful resorts and Portofino Bay blows anything Disney has away as far as quality.

WildcatDen

. . both Disney and Universal need each other./quote]

We will have to agree to disagree. Disney pushes itself. In my opinion, they do not need any help.

Disneyworld is a true destination location.

Universal on the other hand is a pleasent diversion to a location you would visit for other reasons, namely Disney.

As for the "Florida has the greatest rides" comment, Ohio may have a thing or two to say about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom