Universal Express system may be gone

Herbie53

Premium Member
In reality Universal's system as it currently exists could never be anything but temporary. If Universal's management have half a brain to share among them, they are hard at working thinking of a more permanent solution. They are using this system to try to lure people from Disney hotels to their hotels. The problem is that when an increasingly large number of people sign up for "no wait access", suddenly "no wait" has a growing line. I think this express system was a way to get people in the door, and to compete while they find a way around Disney's patents and copyrights on fastpass. Perhaps it has served its purpose, or maybe it has outlived its usefulness.

woofboy111

Originally posted by NowInc
I know from experience that it really didnt work that well...so it was useless.

I don't know why everyone thinks Universals version of fastpass is that terrible. I can't see how it's useless, and those booths that they set up don't look like they are a tempary thing. I think (and hope, as long as I have my AP), that they will be here for a while longer.

Holiday

According to "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2001", this procedure was pioneered by Universal Studios Hollywood many years ago, so Disney got the idea from them, no?

MrPromey

OK, first of all the Universal system was pretty much a copy of Disney's system which is patented. Second, for all who think the Universal system was so great you obviously aren't aware of the many flaws in the way that it operated. First of all, they just like Disney limited the passes to one at a time for singe visit guests so to them aside from waits of sometimes well over 30 minutes even with their time voucher there was little difference. For certain multi-day passes they allowed up to three at a time and for guests staying on property they allowed unlimited use of what they referred to as "front of the line access" which meant their room card acted as a Universal Express pass that was good immediately. Yes, being able to get multiple passes seems great as does the front of the line access but it's incredibly flawed in its execution because Universal really has no control over any of it. With Disney's, they (almost without exception) require everyone to adhere to the same system with the same rules for use. By doing this it is possible for their system to calculate how many fast pass visitors there are at approximately any time of day (within an hour). As a result, when a time books up they change the time and at some point on popular attractions (TT is a perfect example) they stop giving them out when all times are booked. That means everyone else is on standby. This doesn't sound great but consider the alternative: With the Universal system, what you get is pretty much linked to how much money you give them. Their entire system is based on an order of class. If you choose to stay at their resort they give you the best. If you choose to buy a multiday ticket they give you are about in the middle and if you are a single day ticket holder you are at the bottom. This means that paying full priced admission to the park does not give you full access to all of the parks basic features anymore. This is sort of a marketing no-no that es a lot of people at the bottom of the pole off while making the people at the top happy. Lets look at those people at the top though. They are the ones that are most likely to make the whole system fail in the first place because they are the wildcard. Universal has no way to figure how many of these people are going to use this feature for any give attraction at any given time. After all the Express Pass tickets have been given out for the day the on property people can continue to use that line. Consider too, that someone staying on property could get right off an attraction and then get right back into the express line as many times as they wanted. Because of this, they really have no way at all to regulate the number of people in the express line at any given time. Universals front of the line access isn't really front of the line either. It's access to the Universal Express line without a Universal Express ticket. That means there is still a line. One of the times I was there this spring there was a 45 minute wait posted for people with Universal Express tickets one one ride . The people that weren't staying on property and who didn't have express pass tickets were waiting for about 2 hours which is worse but a 45 minute wait can hardly be considered "front of the line". Because some people are able to get multiple tickets and because some don't have to adhere to the system of ticket getting at all, it pushes the return times higher or closes the express pass system down much much earlier during peak season. With only two resorts, the Universal system wasn't as bad as it could have been but something like Universals system would never work there because so many of the people at Disney parks are staying on property the lines for their front of the line/fastpass guests would be over an hour at peak times for more popular rides. Based on this simple problem Universal could only have planned this front of the line access to be temporary with the Universal Express anyway. They are currently building two new resorts. With four resorts and only two relatively small parks (assuming that room occupancy was good) there would be some kind of a significant wait for everything regardless of if you were on property, with an express pass or not. In any event this may be a moot point. I was there about two weeks ago and all the Express stations were closed. It was pretty much walk-on-time for everything except Spiderman in IOA so I didn't think much of it. After I began reading the posts in this thread I headed over to Universals sight to see if they were commenting on this and there is now no longer anything about they Universal Express system anywhere on their site. Looks like it may be already gone. On the bright side though, they may keep the front of the line system for those on property for a while though. There currently aren't enough of those to cause any major delays by themselves... In all though, the whole express pass system was a quick poorly thought out attempt to counter Disney's offering that probably would have eventually collapsed under its own weight over time without drastic changes to the way it worked anyway. They had already started making changes (originally day guests could get up to 3 express pass tickets at a time) because of the problems they system was causing

MrPromey

According to "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2001", this procedure was pioneered by Universal Studios Hollywood many years ago, so Disney got the idea from them, no?

The "unofficial" part is where your question goes foul. Are they talking about taking reservations? If that's the case the restaurant business is a lot more cutting edge than we all thought. I know that Universal Hollywood has a very long tour that you can schedule times for but I'm almost certain that it works more like buying advanced tickets to a movie than like FastPass or Universal Express

woofboy111

Yesterday, when I went to IoA, I noticed that they are combining some Express Pass Distribution Centers. In the Lost contintent, each ride had it's own Station, and now, the only station is the one in front of Posidions Fury (you choose the ride using touch screen computers). This may be a way of slowly getting rid of the system, or improving it, so, well have to wait and see.

Holiday

Originally posted by MrPromey

The "unofficial" part is where your question goes foul. Are they talking about taking reservations? If that's the case the restaurant business is a lot more cutting edge than we all thought. I know that Universal Hollywood has a very long tour that you can schedule times for but I'm almost certain that it works more like buying advanced tickets to a movie than like FastPass or Universal Express

The book is "Unofficial" because it is not controlled by Disney.

I don't know if they are talking about reservations. Any restaurant reservation I've ever made has been for a SPECIFIC time, quite unlike FASTPASS.

After explaining the FASTPASS system, they just say that the "procedure" was pioneered by Univ. Stud. Hollywood many years ago & that it has been pretty much been ignored by most major theme parks since. I've never been to any parks using it other than Disney (used it) & IOA (where I didn't see or use it).

Dizknee_Phreek

Well, I read that whole long post by MrPromey, and there's not a bit of it I can argue with! I wasn't looking to, but I'm just saying that I agree with all of it. I've never been to Universal, never had the slightest urge to go, and as far as I'm concerned all you people who like the place can take it and....well, never mind all that. I can't tell you by experience how much Universal's express line sucks, but I can, however, tell you by experience that even though Disney limits you to 1 FastPass at a time, it WORKS! Even though, I don't see a big reduction of waiting time for the stand-by lines. And at first I thought I would, especially one rides with two lines going at the same time (such as Big Thunder and Space Mtn.) But when you CAN get a Fast Pass for Space Mtn. and the other extremely popular attractions where the passes go very quickly (Test Track) then I see where it makes a huge difference...but regardless, if you use the pass, it does reduce your wait time considerably! I may be very strange, but for some reason I don't mind waiting in line for almost an hour. It does get somewhat boring time to time, but for some reason I enjoy it...guess i'm just old-fashioned like that. But I do use the pass when the occasion calls for it.
But thank you, MrPromey, for bringing up some rather nice, and interesting points! I can see, by the way you described it, how Universal's system is a mess and could create a HUGE problem!
~*Amy*~

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
Well, I've never been to Universal, never had the slightest urge to go, and as far as I'm concerned all you people who like the place can take it and....well, never mind all that.

U might as well finished what you said. And a matter of fact I do like the place, juts like a bunch of other people do on this list.Its not disney, but still a place place to go. Universal makes mistakes just like disney does. So dont critize universal unless U have good reason and dont tell any of us to shove it. Not very wise to off a bunch of people on these list.

MISS MINNIE

Universal Express System

Although you Cant beat disney for magic - if you like thrill rides then Universal is superb...

Even though I dont like the big rides we still go to Universal every trip....

Each to their own I say...:)

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Re: Universal Express System

Originally posted by MISS MINNIE
Although you Cant beat disney for magic - if you like thrill rides then Universal is superb...

Even though I dont like the big rides we still go to Universal every trip....

Each to their own I say...:)

yeah that true each to there own. but she has never been to universal. So really she cant form a opion unless she goes. damn I hate starting the morning in a off moode lol

markymark

Originally posted by JAY-ROD
[Not very wise to off a bunch of people on these list. [/B]

I dont know what you mean !!!

I agree with you though JAY (jeez thats twice today!!)

If you dont like IOA or USF, then fine, but I really dont think that you should slag them off too much until you have been. If you went and still didn't like them, then fine.

I personally don't think that anything will ever beat WDW, but I do like IOA & USF.

I dont think many would argue that Spiderman is one of the best rides in Orlando, as is Duelling Dragons, Hulk and Ripsaw Falls. USF has Terminator and BTTF (although it is looking a little dated now). The point I am making is that just because it's not Disney, doesn't mean that its utter crap.

Give it a go, you never know, you might like it (dont worry, we wont tell anyone!!)

MISS MINNIE

Universal hotelss

Hear Hear I agree MM (same initials)....lol

I refuse to get mad about... I know I like all of the Disney Parks but like you i like IOA and USF....

I just like FLORIDA.:p

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by markymark

I dont know what you mean !!!

I agree with you though JAY (jeez thats twice today!!)

If you dont like IOA or USF, then fine, but I really dont think that you should slag them off too much until you have been. If you went and still didn't like them, then fine.

I personally don't think that anything will ever beat WDW, but I do like IOA & USF.

I dont think many would argue that Spiderman is one of the best rides in Orlando, as is Duelling Dragons, Hulk and Ripsaw Falls. USF has Terminator and BTTF (although it is looking a little dated now). The point I am making is that just because it's not Disney, doesn't mean that its utter crap.

which other one did u agree on. its earlier i'm thinking. I just wish people wouldnt judge something that they have never done before. and when she told us to pretty much shove it, then that doesit for me. lol

Give it a go, you never know, you might like it (dont worry, we wont tell anyone!!)

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Re: Universal hotelss

Originally posted by MISS MINNIE
Hear Hear I agree MM (same initials)....lol

I refuse to get mad about... I know I like all of the Disney Parks but like you i like IOA and USF....

I just like FLORIDA.:p

U just like snaeking out to the pool in the middle of the night. :)

woofboy111

Even if you don't like thrill ride, some stuff is really good at Universal. Take a look at MIB compared to Buzz Lightyear. At IoA, Posidions Fury is great at well (the new version), and thats not a thrill ride. Yes, the parks lack some Disney Magic, but I would say they are worth going to.

M

Mr Lightbeer

Does it really matter who thought up the idea, if it makes the day easier for park visitors then thats fine by me!

Sire_Bobbie

It's all good healthy competition. Especially for the consumor. Bring on even better rides and parks. If Disney and Universal use each other to try and better each other in different areas then we can only benefit. They will always be very different and each one will excel in different areas, but we can enjoy it all.:D

There I was, lurking along, getting ready to give this thread a pass, when this particular piece of sheer idiocy comes along:

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
I've never been to Universal, never had the slightest urge to go, and as far as I'm concerned all you people who like the place can take it and....

I know that others have started slamming this statement. Let me add my voice to the throng.

I'm going to tell you a story (not uncommon 'round these parts).

My wife and I were married at DisneyWorld. We had a surprising turnout of family, considering the distance. When we were saying goodbye to some, two of my brothers commented that they never considered coming to WDW. They were concerned with the crowds, prices, etc. Their concerns are valid, even for an off-season visit.

When they left, they said that they can't wait to return. They, like you, had reservations about visiting a place. Had it not been for my wedding, they would almost certainly have never visited and removed their doubts.

I am not one to say that you absolutely *MUST* visit Universal -- such a thought is as foolish as "their system can't work even though I haven't seen it." But, please, keep your ignorance under control.

If you ever visit Universal, please keep an open mind. Visiting anywhere believing you will have a bad time will, almost certainly, set in motion a self-fullfilling prophecy.

As to FastPass, I have used it once with no real benefit. I visit off-season and the line for FastPass returns is, generally, as long as the standby line for the vast majority of rides.

Dizknee_Phreek

hmmmm...oh boy...i can see this is gonna be a hard thing to make right. ok, i know i can't take back what i said. but in a way i do regret it. most of all, though, i regret making you all mad. when i was writing the message, i knew it was over the top, and i knew it would probably make some of you all mad, and even though i hate it when people are mad at me, at the time, i was in 'one-of-those-moods' and i didn't care.
i do feel a resentment towards US. maybe it's because i was raised on Disney, and pretty much only Disney. Sure, i've been to Holiday World in IN lots of times, sure i went to Opryland once, sure i went to Sea World once...but none of them measured up to Disney quality. it's been years since i've been to any other theme park. plus, i know that WDW was the first to build in that area, and i feel like Universal copied and has tried to build their company off of Disney's success. i feel like if i support Universal in any way that it would be betraying Disney. i know you all feel that's not true...that's just the way I feel and the way i have always felt.
i'll admit, you guys are right...i shouldn't judge a place before i go there. but honestly, i don't want to go. it has no appeal to me. the only reason i would ever want to go is to ride the Jurassic Park ride. if my dad had not taken me and my family to WDW way back in 92' (not to mention at least once every year since) then i probably wouldn't really want to go to WDW and would probably see it as 'just another theme park'. but since all my life i have been raised on Disney (if not WDW then it was Disney Channel or Disney movies...it's always been a part of my life in some way) then i do support WDW 220%. and it's not just US. I also in a way resent Disneyland for all kinds of reasons...the whole DL park (not including California Adventure) can fit in MK at WDW's parking lot...the castle is smaller...they don't have as many theme parks, resorts, or water parks...i know it all has to do with their space, and i know that's why Walt went to FL...to have more space. but i've always felt that way toward DL for some reason. but regardless, i've still always wanted to go because i know that was Disney's first park, and I know he was actually there, in the park. and especially now since they've added CA, even though i've heard mixed reviews about the place (mostly negative)
so see, it's not just US that i judge...i even judge Disney's parks too. but the difference is, one i do have a slight urge to visit, and the other i could care less if i stepped one foot inside the gates. that's just me...
anyway, i know i'm gonna be getting some replies about this message, so for the time being i'm just gonna brace myself for them, cuz i put my own self in this situation. but that's what's great about America...freedom of speech. anyway i just felt like i needed to reply and apologize for making you all mad...even though it's not going to change the way i feel toward US.
sometimes i'll write and post things without thinking in order to vent my thoughts...and i just hope you all can accept and forgive when i say stupid things. and i hope that in the end we can all be friends and stay civil toward each other. i know you all don't have the intentions of making someone mad, and neither do i (this was a slight exception...i swear i'm not usually like that) but sometimes it just kinda happens. and i hope i haven't said anything offensive in this post. thanks for taking the time to read this!
~*Amy*~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom