Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens May 22 2025

esskay

I wonder if the new HBO Harry Potter show will have any effect on the areas at Universal. If it's a major success, does it eventually supplant the films?

If so, having their HP areas/attractions themed around (and including specific actors from) a version of the IP that's no longer the dominant one in the public consciousness could be detrimental.

Not that they're to blame if it does happen -- obviously they couldn't know another version was coming so soon, and basing it on the films was the most logical design choice at the time.

On the other hand, it could increase interest in the HP areas even further.
I think they'd have to pull something very special out of the bag for it to become bigger than the movies, but if it did happen I dare say the expansion pad at epic would be used for a tv show specific expansion and they'd blend the two together. I really cant see them significantly altering IOA or US lands for the TV show.

If anything I'd say their UK park thats currently being planned will be more appropriate for following the TV shows given its going to be opening whilst the show is on, and has the benefit of a direct train connection from Kings Cross into the park itself (and under the new train opperator laws in the UK they could technically operate a 'Hogwarts Express' from Kings Cross that takes you directly into a potter area of the park), and Leavesden where they'll be filming it is just down the road, so there will be a lot of tie in to the WB tour.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm also told there'll be several months of soft-opens and previews, so we could start seeing the inside of the park as early as ... February? March?

I don't expect everything to be open for those.

I wonder if they'll have TM's do the first rounds of softs/previews before allowing anyone else inside.

TalkToEthan

If so, having their HP areas/attractions themed around (and including specific actors from) a version of the IP that's no longer the dominant one in the public consciousness could be detrimental.

I would think carrying the Potter name along with the expected over the top/outstanding execution of Paris will inevitably bring in overwhelming crowds regardless whether this HBO version becomes a smash hit or misfired scud missile

Potter creators yet again will change the theme park game as the masses will avalanche Paris(as well as Epic as a whole). It's going to happen.

DarkMetroid567

I would think carrying the Potter name along with the expected over the top/outstanding execution of Paris will inevitably bring in overwhelming crowds regardless whether this HBO version becomes a smash hit or misfired scud missile

Potter creators yet again will change the theme park game as the masses will avalanche Paris(as well as Epic as a whole). It's going to happen.
I don’t think the Paris aspect carries that much weight. The audience interests have shifted, and the people who care about Paris-like experiences….. are flying to Paris.

TalkToEthan

I don’t think the Paris aspect carries that much weight.

It’s not Paris per se which parks goers will seek—-the Potter location could have been Budapest, Seoul or Santiago. (I’ve never really watched a Potter movie nor read a book so please excuse the flippant city name dropping); it’s the Potter brand coupled with its game changing execution they be after.

Furthermore Epcot Showcase foot traffic undermines the theory people will just fly to Paris(or any other locale) to get the real thing instead of the loose replicas

UNCgolf

I think they'd have to pull something very special out of the bag for it to become bigger than the movies, but if it did happen I dare say the expansion pad at epic would be used for a tv show specific expansion and they'd blend the two together. I really cant see them significantly altering IOA or US lands for the TV show.

If anything I'd say their UK park thats currently being planned will be more appropriate for following the TV shows given its going to be opening whilst the show is on, and has the benefit of a direct train connection from Kings Cross into the park itself (and under the new train opperator laws in the UK they could technically operate a 'Hogwarts Express' from Kings Cross that takes you directly into a potter area of the park), and Leavesden where they'll be filming it is just down the road, so there will be a lot of tie in to the WB tour.

Oh I'd be shocked if they altered the existing lands -- I'm also not sure if they will even have the rights to use the TV show.

And I agree that it's not likely to be bigger than the movies, especially not right away. But in 15 years, maybe? If people think it's great, and start directing people to watch the show instead of the movies? Who knows.

It's just that if it somehow does become bigger than the movies... it'll be interesting to see what happens. I think it would be a hard sell for kids familiar with the show instead of the movies to go see "Hogwarts" that doesn't look like the Hogwarts they know (assuming it's different), and see a Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, etc. that look like some random person compared to the version they know.

lazyboy97o

Oh I'd be shocked if they altered the existing lands -- I'm also not sure if they will even have the rights to use the TV show.

And I agree that it's not likely to be bigger than the movies, especially not right away. But in 15 years, maybe? If people think it's great, and start directing people to watch the show instead of the movies? Who knows.

It's just that if it somehow does become bigger than the movies... it'll be interesting to see what happens. I think it would be a hard sell for kids familiar with the show instead of the movies to go see "Hogwarts" that doesn't look like the Hogwarts they know (assuming it's different), and see a Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, etc. that look like some random person compared to the version they know.
I might be totally off my rocker and making things up, and I don’t feel like digging for confirmation, but I thought I saw at one point that they had already said that the art direction is not going to be [radically] reimagined because it is so linked to the brand identity.

Andrew25

I’m gonna call it right now and say it’s the opening
+tickets & vacation packages

Hoping for more details on how Epic Universe will be handled for APs, but we shall see. Kind of expecting them to do a soft rollout of tickets. With 1-day tickets and packages first to gauge demand.

My hope is that this recent slowdown in the Orlando marketplace causes Universal to shift strategy from being bullish on Epic sales and reduce restrictions

UNCgolf

I might be totally off my rocker and making things up, and I don’t feel like digging for confirmation, but I thought I saw at one point that they had already said that the art direction is not going to be [radically] reimagined because it is so linked to the brand identity.

That would make sense to me -- I was actually wondering if they'd use the same setting for Hogwarts.

It would still have the issue of the "wrong" Harry Potter etc. in the attractions, but less of a concern than a completely different setting.

I personally wouldn't mind if they made some significant changes to the art/setting -- Hogwarts itself is fine, but the last 3 or 4 films felt pretty dark and bland from a design perspective. But I also think the latter HP films (especially Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince) aren't good films in general and had poor design/direction overall, so...

celluloid

I’m here for it, but hasn’t every previous video mentioned or shown the food locations in the area? The Hub one definitely did show concept art of the seafood restaurant, as did Dragons with the Viking hall, and Dark Universe with the Stakehouse

That is true and I thought that too. I was mostly being silly to be different. I imagine it is very early opening news. I would be shocked(excitedly) if we got the actual date, but hey, we are on it. I expect some about "The Arrival" and property. Tramline, Parking, transportation etc...

Maybe when Helio can bookings can start?

jrhwdw

That is true and I thought that too. I was mostly being silly to be different. I imagine it is very early opening news. I would be shocked(excitedly) if we got the actual date, but hey, we are on it. I expect some about "The Arrival" and property. Tramline, Parking, transportation etc...

Maybe when Helio can bookings can start?
I don't think there was a Tramline in the Parking Lot Pictures.

This better be Good Tomorrow!!!!! And gets TDO figuring out their 2025 Dates!!!!

celluloid

I don't think there was a Tramline in the Parking Lot Pictures.

This better be Good Tomorrow!!!!! And gets TDO figuring out their 2025 Dates!!!!

I don't mean that kind of tram...(although many of the manager hires for EPIC parking and transit have been former WDW tram managers)

I meant more trainline. But that may come at a later date...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom