Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Andrew25

I'm going with "probably not" but it does give this area sort of a "Busch Gardens" level of theming look to it.
Alright let's settle down now lol

I mean, on a slow day I can plow through USF in like 3 hours. "What is a full day park?" is somewhat subjective.
Obviously subjective, but the general consensus is that DAK is a half-day park with a number of experiences available while Epic Universe provides more experiences.

trr1

Orlando Informer
@OrlandoInformer

Characters are around every corner in How to Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk! Guests will have the chance to encounter Hiccup and Toothless, Astrid and Stormfly, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, and the Night Lights Baby Dragon as they explore, plus see Gobber at his forge! At night, Monstrous Nightmare or Gronckle dragons can be spotted soaring in the sky!
1711659938348.png

THIS JUST IN: Universal Orlando Resort has just revealed what’s coming to one of Epic Universe’s five worlds, How to Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk! Here are the major attractions:Hiccup's Wing Gliders – soar around Berk on Hiccup’s newest invention Dragon Racer's Rally – practice aerobatic maneuvers on this Viking-made trainer Fyre Drill – compete with other Vikings in a boat battle Viking Training Camp – little Vikings can explore and play in this interactive area The Untrainable Dragon – take in a breathtaking stage show where Hiccup and pals encounter a new dragon Haddock Paddock – meet Hiccup and Toothless, as well as other familiar friends
1711659984778.png
1711659993407.png

1711660004344.png
1711660012726.png

Have you ever seen views like those at How to Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk? We can hardly wait to see this Epic Universe world come to life!
1711660057842.png
1711660065272.png

1711660074788.png
1711660083613.png

trr1

https://twitter.com/OrlandoInformer
Orlando Informer
@OrlandoInformer

Viking-sized hunger calls for a feast! At How to Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk's Mead Hall, you can satisfy your appetite with a menu of meat, fish, sandwiches and desserts, along with meads, ciders and ales.
1711660174238.png
1711660181876.png

Per Universal - The world of How to Train Your Dragon – Isle of Berk encompasses 15.5 acres with a total of 162,500 square feet of rockwork.
1711660219558.png

There are so many exciting details about Epic Universe's How to Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk! Let us fly you through everything revealed so far: https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/how-to-train-your-dragon-at-epic-universe-details-revealed/

1711660280804.png

Sir_Cliff

I think this looks... pretty good? I like that this park seems to have a lot of lagoons, as I always feel like water elements aide a lot in parks feeling more organic. The kinetic movement everywhere is nice too. From the flythrough though I feel like there are a bit too many little huts/kiosks/stands that still make it look very definitively "standard theme park design".
That's very much my feeling.

What's most impressive about this (and all of Epic Universe) for me is the amount of attractions it will have on opening day. Disney seems to struggle to get more than two attractions into a major new land these days.

On the other hand, it does look like a lot of theming around souped-up amusement park rides like roller coasters more than an attempt to create a believable themed environment. Many of us have been sceptical of the "backstory" of Slinky Dog Dash as a justification for an exposed roller coaster in the middle of that land, but the explanation for this coaster seems pretty much on the same level. I will also say that looking at this and saying "eat your heart out, Galaxy's Edge" seems a little weird to me as there's not exactly a Rise of the Resistance among the attraction line-up; they all seem pretty standard attractions with HTTYD theming applied.

Still, it looks pretty good, has lots to do, and I'm sure will be fun for kids and fans of the movies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Alright let's settle down now lol

Obviously subjective, but the general consensus is that DAK is a half-day park with a number of experiences available while Epic Universe provides more experiences.
More non-ride experiences than two musical stage shows, a 4D show, two major animal trails, and a handful of minor animal trails?

(And alas, I wish it had a evening show back.)

Earlie the Pearlie

I will also say that looking at this and saying "eat your heart out, Galaxy's Edge" seems a little weird to me as there's not exactly a Rise of the Resistance among the attraction line-up; they all seem pretty standard attractions with HTTYD theming applied.
That’s out of context. I was talking about the lack of kinetic energy in that land vs this one. They are obviously two different lands with two different “vibes” (more non world-class rides vs less world-class rides), but isn’t it generally agreed upon that Galaxy’s Edge lacks kinetics?

Sir_Cliff

You know what’s missing from this announcement? “Immersive.” “Storytelling.” “Unique”. And a few other words that Disney overuses. It’s… refreshing.
Really? I feel the enthusiasm in this announcement (which I don't have any problem with) would be greeted with much mockery on here if it was from Disney announcing a new land based on one of their films.

ToTBellHop

You know what’s missing from this announcement? “Immersive.” “Storytelling.” “Unique”. And a few other words that Disney overuses. It’s… refreshing.
The word “immersive” occurs in the first 10 seconds of the trailer.

You didn’t include it but “adventure” is at 2:30. Can’t leave out that overused buzzword.

“Immersive” again around 5:10 in case you forgot.

Experience you’ll never forget? Check.
Larger than life? Of course.

It’s filled with the same marketing fluff as Disney uses. At least the actual land looks fantastic.

JT3000

In the last decade they have opened:
New Fantasyland (technically 2013 but Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was 2014)
Pandora
Toy Story Land
Galaxy's Edge
Runaway Railway
Ratatouille
Cosmic Rewind
Tron
(honorable mention) Moana

But you're right they've done "nothing" since they're not currently doing anything, even though they'll still be one theme park, one water park, and a ton of resort hotels ahead when all is said and done.
So Disney should just stand pat and not do anything until Universal builds a fourth park, another water park, and a ton of hotels? Otherwise I don't see the relevance of any of this.

Tom Morrow

So Disney should just stand pat and not do anything until Universal builds a fourth park, another water park, and a ton of hotels? Otherwise I don't see the relevance of any of this.

So they should build a 5th park right now because Universal might build a 4th park in another decade?

The point is I'm trying to dispel the myth I keep hearing from every theme park nerd everywhere that Disney is playing "catch up" to Universal and has since Potter. They don't technically need to do anything! They're still number one and they're still going to be ahead in both attendance and number of parks when Epic opens. They don't need to do anything at all and they have been "doing stuff" for the last several years.

JT3000

So they should build a 5th park right now because Universal might build a 4th park in another decade?

The point is I'm trying to dispel the myth I keep hearing from every theme park nerd everywhere that Disney is playing "catch up" to Universal and has since Potter. They don't technically need to do anything! They're still number one and they're still going to be ahead in both attendance and number of parks when Epic opens. They don't need to do anything at all and they have been "doing stuff" for the last several years.
I didn't say they should build a 5th park, but they certainly need to be building out the ones they already have. Disney will still have an entire park more than Universal, but what do you think would happen if we actually counted the number of attractions at each resort? I suspect that would paint a less rosy picture. Just because Disney is "ahead" in the amount of stuff they have, however you choose to gauge that, it doesn't mean they can be complacent (especially with the recent, relatively widespread backlash against them as a company, but I won't get into all that.) So yes, they technically need to do continue doing things.

BrianLo

DAK is my favorite park, but calling it a full day park at the same level of MK/Epcot is a bit of a stretch.

I wouldn’t define Epcot and MK as one day parks though. They are both multi-day.

But DAK needs to become a multi-day park so that people who cut out certain attraction types out still find enough to do to consider it at least a ‘full day’ park.

Animaniac93-98

I wouldn’t define Epcot and MK as one day parks though. They are both multi-day.

But DAK needs to become a multi-day park so that people who cut out certain attraction types out still find enough to do to consider it at least a ‘full day’ park.

DAK right now also suffers from what others have criticized Epic for, a disproportionate number of attractions being thrill rides with a height requirement.

Assuming Encanto is not that, it will help, but retheming Dinosaur won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom