Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I didn't say they should build a 5th park, but they certainly need to be building out the ones they already have. Disney will still have an entire park more than Universal, but what do you think would happen if we actually counted the number of attractions at each resort? I suspect that would paint a less rosy picture. Just because Disney is "ahead" in the amount of stuff they have, however you choose to gauge that, it doesn't mean they can be complacent (especially with the recent, relatively widespread backlash against them as a company, but I won't get into all that.) So yes, they technically need to do continue doing things.
Disney couldn't "respond" to EU in the past 5 years because they didn't have the money to do so after:
  • buying Fox
  • buying out Hulu
  • going 'all in' on streaming.
Both Bobs made it very very abundantly clear that streaming was the whole company's first priority (and buying Fox and Hulu was part of that). More important than their theatrical releases. More important than the parks.

It wasn't complacency.

Linear/cable TV was going to go bye-byes, and that was a huge chunk of Disney's profits. Switch to streaming or die. And so they did.

Meanwhile, Comcast invested in another gate... and... how's Peacock doing? How's NBC's ad revenue?

Disney *chose* not to "respond to EU" not out of malpractice, but for the sake of the whole company so that their TV division's profits didn't turn to dust. And by the end of this fiscal year, as their guidance promised, their streaming will be turning a profit. And that profit along with no longer having to pour investment into streaming will finance the $60B parks and experience boom to come.

Last edited:

JT3000

Disney couldn't "respond" to EU in the past 5 years because they didn't have the money to do so after:
  • buying Fox
  • buying out Hulu
  • going 'all in' on streaming.
Both Bobs made it very very abundantly clear that streaming was the whole company's first priority (and buying Fox and Hulu was part of that). More important that their theatrical releases. More important than the parks.

It wasn't complacency.

Linear/cable TV was going to go bye-byes, and that was a huge chunk of Disney's profits. Switch to streaming or die. And so they did.

Meanwhile, Comcast invested in another gate... and... how's Peacock doing? How's NBC's ad revenue?

Disney *chose* not to "respond to EU" not out of malpractice, but for the sake of the whole company so that their TV division's profits didn't turn to dust. And by the end of this fiscal year, as their guidance promised, their streaming will be turning a profit. And that profit along with no longer having to pour investment into streaming will finance the $60B parks and experience boom to come.
I'm not really sure why you're basically bragging about Disney's streaming on a website dedicated to theme parks, but just for the hell of it, let's take a look at those numbers...

Graph1.jpg

Hmm, not leading the pack by any means, even with multiple services under their tent, but still looks okay I guess. But wait, what's this?

Graph2.jpg

🫣
Well, that certainly doesn't bode well for a company that loves to price gouge on (at least!) an annual basis, now does it?

UNCgolf

Prime Video's numbers are kind of meaningless -- the vast majority of Prime Video subscribers are subscribers because it's automatically included with Amazon Prime, not because they care about Prime Video specifically.

Some percentage of that number would subscribe to Prime Video if it was a separate service, but huge swathes would not. It certainly wouldn't have anywhere near 200 million users.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The word “immersive” occurs in the first 10 seconds of the trailer.

You didn’t include it but “adventure” is at 2:30. Can’t leave out that overused buzzword.

“Immersive” again around 5:10 in case you forgot.

Experience you’ll never forget? Check.
Larger than life? Of course.

It’s filled with the same marketing fluff as Disney uses. At least the actual land looks fantastic.
I didn’t watch the video. Ain’t no one got time for that.

Tom Morrow

I didn't say they should build a 5th park, but they certainly need to be building out the ones they already have. Disney will still have an entire park more than Universal, but what do you think would happen if we actually counted the number of attractions at each resort? I suspect that would paint a less rosy picture. Just because Disney is "ahead" in the amount of stuff they have, however you choose to gauge that, it doesn't mean they can be complacent (especially with the recent, relatively widespread backlash against them as a company, but I won't get into all that.) So yes, they technically need to do continue doing things.

I mean, I do agree, and I don't think a 5th park at WDW is the answer when DHS and especially DAK could still be built up more. But they did recently do a lot of stuff. I'm not convinced that they, at this moment, need to counter Epic with anything, nor is there any amount of attractions they could build that would stop Epic from eating into their bottom line. Because a handful of new attractions won't win over an entire new theme park for repeat visitors.

UpAllNight

This looks incredible and it’s the land I’m least excited for.

I don’t have any criticism. Yeah there’s “standard theme park rides” but the big guns are in the other lands, and if you’re to do standard theme park rides..do them like this.

I think this area will look great at night too.

The good news for Disney is that, if they’re concerned about the scale of this, they’re in the design phase of their own expansions, so they can react. I do wonder if there is any consideration occurring about adjustments to their own projects as more specific detail filters through (although I doubt they were surprised - all seems well known) Maybe reacting to the reaction, which from what I can see everywhere has been largely positive. Seen a fair bit of criticism of Disney opening lands with 2 rides whereas this has multiple. Most people outside of the community don’t care about the type of rides, not that this is unimportant obviously.

Kudos to Universal Creative for an incredible drop of concept art and that video is stunning. Appreciate the effort.

I don’t think there will be too many surprises on opening day due to the depth and detail of the concept art. That’s probably a good thing for hype, but maybe not so in the high setting of expectations. Possibly why Disney have been a lot more vague in their concept art?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not really sure why you're basically bragging about Disney's streaming on a website dedicated to theme parks,
Because people were wondering/complaining about Disney's lack of "response" to EU. And I gave the reason.

It's all there in the post and in the context of the discussion in the last few pages (and everywhere else, since people love to bring up EU in WDW threads). I suggest you re-read it for clarification.

rd805

So they should build a 5th park right now because Universal might build a 4th park in another decade?

The point is I'm trying to dispel the myth I keep hearing from every theme park nerd everywhere that Disney is playing "catch up" to Universal and has since Potter. They don't technically need to do anything! They're still number one and they're still going to be ahead in both attendance and number of parks when Epic opens. They don't need to do anything at all and they have been "doing stuff" for the last several years.

Disney will always be number 1 - BUT, the idea that Universal hasn't closed the gap and will not continue to close the gap really should be pushing Disney more than it clearly is. Or, as I've surmised in the past - they are banking on Universal's success in keeping their own parks busy for the next few years and then will ramp up new attractions in the years to come. Either way, the lack of NEW isn't spurring the need for a "return" multi-day visit as many of us NOT from Florida are used to doing. (Not even going into pricing)

I'm probably not visiting Orlando in 2024, and holding off to do a big EPIC centered trip in 2025. I haven't been to Volcano Bay yet, so i'll make that a focus next year to make sure I finally see it. I'll still have maybe 2 days at a Disney, because I love WDW. But there won't be a NEED to hit all 4 parks, or really focus on making sure i "definitely" get to all 4 parks. Again, I LOVE all 4 parks - but I've done them countless times.

Tiana, Smellephants, Country Bear revamp, and the return of the Little Mermaid stage musical just isn't a reason for a 'DISNEY EXCLUSIVE' vacation. Again Disney won't be "bleeding" - but the average family will be leaving the Disney Bubble moreso than they ever possibly have in the past. Universal now commands the need for minimally 2 days of a family's weeklong vacation, and I'd argue 3 if you want to at least try everything in USF / IOA. Once families see the possible discount (when comparing to a WDW vacation), or even fall for the BUY 2 DAYS, GET 2 DAYS TICKETS FREE offers they roll out all the time - it will continue to lead others to hit Universal more.

The bottom-line is, YES - they do need NEW attractions. The fact that we KNOW how long it takes Disney to build, and they haven't begun anything yet is a cause for some worry.

Weather_Lady

I'm probably not visiting Orlando in 2024, and holding off to do a big EPIC centered trip in 2025. I haven't been to Volcano Bay yet, so i'll make that a focus next year to make sure I finally see it.

The bottom-line is, YES - they do need NEW attractions. The fact that we KNOW how long it takes Disney to build, and they haven't begun anything yet is a cause for some worry.
I agree (we're not headed to Orlando in 2024, but are already booked at Universal for August 2025!), and would add that I think WDW is also underestimating the negative impact of G+/ILL from a guest satisfaction perspective. Yes, it's a financial Band-Aid that's causing people to spend more money on their current Disney vacations, but it's also keeping families -- like mine, who used to visit WDW every couple of years or so -- from wanting to return.

At the end of the day, even if it was WDW that was building a dozen new attractions, and Universal that was resting on its laurels, my family would still prefer to go to Universal, where we can opt for predictable standby lines (or a skip-the-line system that can be purchased simply by staying at a more expensive hotel, and requires no pre-planning, no pre-booking, and no in-park phone time). Our vacation time is too rare and valuable for us to have to deal with the hassle and uncertainty that WDW's G+/ILL/VQ systems - and the persistent running of attractions at reduced capacity to drive up standby waits and incentivize more G+/ILL purchases - have infused into the park experience.

Given that it's the other way around (with Universal building a new park and Disney resting on its laurels), we're that much more excited to commit to Universal for the next few years. Our 2-park annual passes for USF and IOA (which we'll activate in 2025 when we visit for EU, in addition to upgrading or purchasing EU tickets as needed) have already been purchased!

Last edited:

Andrew25

I'm probably not visiting Orlando in 2024, and holding off to do a big EPIC centered trip in 2025. I haven't been to Volcano Bay yet, so i'll make that a focus next year to make sure I finally see it. I'll still have maybe 2 days at a Disney, because I love WDW. But there won't be a NEED to hit all 4 parks, or really focus on making sure i "definitely" get to all 4 parks. Again, I LOVE all 4 parks - but I've done them countless times.
This is what lots of us are suggesting... people like you finally giving Universal more of their days on the trip... but not entirely skipping WDW. Universal isn't a replacement of WDW, but boy have they made it easy to swap what used to be a WDW focused trip to a Universal focused trip.

Earlie the Pearlie

This is what lots of us are suggesting... people like you finally giving Universal more of their days on the trip... but not entirely skipping WDW. Universal isn't a replacement of WDW, but boy have they made it easy to swap what used to be a WDW focused trip to a Universal focused trip.
Last time I was in Orlando, it was for Universal. We went to Not So Scary, and that was it.

rd805

Don't get me totally wrong: I'm a UNI-FIRST kind of guy haha. Universal has had 2 days of my Orlando time for the past 15 years, and a few Uni-exclusively trips too.

Sir_Cliff

Disney will always be number 1 - BUT, the idea that Universal hasn't closed the gap and will not continue to close the gap really should be pushing Disney more than it clearly is. Or, as I've surmised in the past - they are banking on Universal's success in keeping their own parks busy for the next few years and then will ramp up new attractions in the years to come. Either way, the lack of NEW isn't spurring the need for a "return" multi-day visit as many of us NOT from Florida are used to doing. (Not even going into pricing)
I would agree that Universal has been closing in the gap in that I at least I assume it has been growing attendance and revenue faster than WDW as it has expanded a lot more in relative terms in recent years. That said, it doesn't necessarily follow that Disney needs to match each of Universal's moves. As long as Universal's growth doesn't cause them to lose attendance (and the jury is still out on that), it probably doesn't matter all that much if Universal narrows the margin between the two resorts in terms of attendance and revenue in part because Universal started out as a far smaller resort and thus has more room to grow.

That, of course, doesn't mean Disney can just sit back and be complacent; I think even they recognise that lack of capacity due to under-building is now a big problem for the resort. That's kind of a separate issue than needing to match Universal, though, if the market has enough room for both resorts to continue growing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom