Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens May 22 2025

celluloid

Dreamworks is also the most relevant and profitable kids property now. Netflix has helped that with spinoffs to be a bit like Disney animation of the 90s.(not exactly but as close as anyone has ever gotten while Disney does not have this anymore)

Tom Morrow

But isn't that the basis of a lot of great story telling? Would Titanic be as good if the ship didn't hit an iceberg, Apollo 13 if there wasn't a malfunction, or Back to the Future if Marty didn't accidently go back in time?

I think we've gotten too invested in the idea that every ride needs a story with proper narrative structure, but they don't. Trying to shoehorn one in to every ride has actually been detrimental to some of them.

See: Gringotts: Did not need a conflict. A whimsical wild ride on the bank vault carts like we saw in the movie would have been enough. Instead, we are denied that whimsical ride in order to watch the conflict play out.

See also: Flight of Passage. No conflict, and the ride is tremendously better for it than if they had instead been like "Oh no, your flight has to be cut short because (whatever the bad guys are called) are attacking! We need your support!" (which is likely what Universal would have done).

And: Haunted Mansion. No narrative, but it does use the three act story structure in how it presents things to you.

In other words, rides need pacing but don't necessarily have to have a hard-defined narrative.

Earlie the Pearlie

Dreamworks is also the most relevant and profitable kids property now. Netflix has helped that with spinoffs to be a bit like Disney animation of the 90s.(not exactly but as close as anyone has ever gotten while Disney does not have this anymore)
Dreamworks spinoffs are, in my humble opinion, an untapped market. I would give anything to fight the Doom Syndicate and Dude-Monkey alongside Megamind, Old Chum, and Keiko!!!

Jrb1979

I think we've gotten too invested in the idea that every ride needs a story with proper narrative structure, but they don't. Trying to shoehorn one in to every ride has actually been detrimental to some of them.

See: Gringotts: Did not need a conflict. A whimsical wild ride on the bank vault carts like we saw in the movie would have been enough. Instead, we are denied that whimsical ride in order to watch the conflict play out.

See also: Flight of Passage. No conflict, and the ride is tremendously better for it than if they had instead been like "Oh no, your flight has to be cut short because (whatever the bad guys are called) are attacking! We need your support!" (which is likely what Universal would have done).

And: Haunted Mansion. No narrative, but it does use the three act story structure in how it presents things to you.

In other words, rides need pacing but don't necessarily have to have a hard-defined narrative.
TBH do rides really need a story at all to be good?

Sorcerer Mickey

This looks incredible and it’s the land I’m least excited for.

I don’t have any criticism. Yeah there’s “standard theme park rides” but the big guns are in the other lands, and if you’re to do standard theme park rides..do them like this.

I think this area will look great at night too.

The good news for Disney is that, if they’re concerned about the scale of this, they’re in the design phase of their own expansions, so they can react. I do wonder if there is any consideration occurring about adjustments to their own projects as more specific detail filters through (although I doubt they were surprised - all seems well known) Maybe reacting to the reaction, which from what I can see everywhere has been largely positive. Seen a fair bit of criticism of Disney opening lands with 2 rides whereas this has multiple. Most people outside of the community don’t care about the type of rides, not that this is unimportant obviously.

Kudos to Universal Creative for an incredible drop of concept art and that video is stunning. Appreciate the effort.

I don’t think there will be too many surprises on opening day due to the depth and detail of the concept art. That’s probably a good thing for hype, but maybe not so in the high setting of expectations. Possibly why Disney have been a lot more vague in their concept art?
I think Disney has been vague in their concept art because they're not even sure that stuff is happening.

Tom Morrow

That was what I was getting at - no.

Pacing is important. Theming and immersion are important. Placemaking is important. But a hard-driven narrative is not required for a good ride.

I also want to add that the "something goes wrong!" trope can be used correctly and incorrectly. On Hagrid's it "allows you" to go out of control and go into the Forbidden Forest. In Gringotts, it prevents you from doing the fun thing you were promised.

TalkToEthan

Yes, mostly.

When and only when the story delivers an open narrative(Pirates, Mansion, Big Thunder).

Closed narratives are the problem child when telling an attraction’s story(Monsters Inc at DCA, Peter Pan, Little Mermaid); book reports hurt the cause.

trr1

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial photo of Celestial Carousel in Epic Universe. The dark blue cupola was recently placed on top the large dome.
1711743782237.png

In this aerial photo you can peer through the recently installed windows of Atlantic restaurant in Epic Universe. At left, fountain plumbing in elaborate patterns is seen across the pond floor.
1711743809238.png

Aerial photos of current work at the portal entry plaza of Epic Universe. Rock work, and multiple concrete forms.
1711743844490.png
1711743853872.png

At center of this aerial photo is the portal of Epic Universe. Nearby, at top, is the start of cascading water feature. Water will flow from this location to the center of the park.
1711743875876.png

Aerial photo of areas near the portal of Epic Universe.
1711743899975.png

Aerial overview of Celestial Park in Epic Universe.
1711743922874.png

Aerial photo of reflections a section of recently installed windows of Atlantic restaurant. In Epic Universe.There will be fountains in elaborate patterns in the adjacent pond. A cascade of water is under construction at right.
1711743995717.png

Aerial photo of the forest in development in front of the Epic Universe entrance.The meandering sidewalk in lower left is for guests of Terra Luna and Stella Nova resorts who choose to walk between the park and their lodging.
1711744037722.png

Aerial photo of Atlantic restaurant in Epic Universe. First section of windows sighted! Diners will have views of elaborate fountains in the adjacent pond.Both sides of the restaurant also have cascading water features. Landscaping starting at left.
1711744059774.png

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct

Aerial overview of the entrance of Epic Universe. The portal into the park is the half circle at center.
1711744100118.png

Aerial photo of Atlantic restaurant in Epic Universe. Diners will enter at the arrow, then descend to seating at the water side. Elaborate fountain patterns are visible in the pond floor. The entrance is actually over the kitchen! Cascading water features are nearby.
1711744149726.png

Aerial overview of the Epic Universe property.
1711744197366.png

Aerial overview of a service boat adding a treatment to the pond near Helios Grand Hotel at Epic Universe.The peninsula is expected to be the park's fireworks launch point.
1711744223236.png

At center of this aerial photo is an overview of Epic Universe.Arrow at the Shingle Creek Trail. It's about 7.6 miles to walk, run, or cycle around the resort property by using the Trail, Destination Pwy, Universal Blvd, Sand Lake Rd, and some additional streets.
1711744260578.png

Aerial look at a service boat adding a treatment to a pond near Helios Grand Hotel.The overpass is for the guest access road of the hotel, and the road is not yet fully paved. Underneath is the perimeter service road of Epic Universe
1711744297233.png

Aerial photo of current work at Terra Luna and Stella Nova resorts.
1711744361880.png

celluloid

This is true but the difference is most of Universal's attractions often are large scale mirroring what?
You guessed it. Cinema. Which has the famous antagonist characters, natural disasters and plots.
This is why Hollywood Studios would have most examples of this.

There are and have been attractions at Universal that have things not go wrong as a major plot device. People just like to feel smart when they find a trope.

All rides have a story in experiential design, not all rides have a plot. Different, but you basically covered this.

UNCgolf

A lot of people complain that NRJ doesn't really have a story and I've never understood the complaint.

I understand most of the other complaints (even if I don't really agree with most of them, mostly because they tend to boil down to complaints that it isn't an E ticket), but the lack of narrative just isn't an issue to me. You don't need a story to go on a cruise through an alien jungle; the setting itself is what draws interest.

Cliff

I have to say that this entire project is incredibly impressive. Every month, it appears better and better and more stunning.

THIS is what you get when Imagineers leave Disney and bring their decades "magic", knowledge and experience to a company that wants to take ACTION.....send money....and implement it.

Wow,...this is inspirational on every level..

JT3000

It's not that narrow (look at the crane). Plus there are side entrances. No different, really, then the arch at USF
It's definitely narrow enough to be a choke point if they close off the currently open spaces on each side of it. You could only fit two of those trucks in there. And if they don't intend to close off the area around it, well, that'll just look weird. Why even put a portal there?

I have to say that this entire project is incredibly impressive. Every month, it appears better and better and more stunning.

THIS is what you get when Imagineers leave Disney and bring their decades "magic", knowledge and experience to a company that wants to take ACTION.....send money....and implement it.

Wow,...this is inspirational on every level..
I could be wrong, but I believe Universal has actually been losing more creatives to Disney than vice versa in recent years. The big exodus from Imagineering to Universal Creative happened back when IOA was under development.

celluloid

I could be wrong, but I believe Universal has actually been losing more creatives to Disney than vice versa in recent years. The big exodus from Imagineering to Universal Creative happened back when IOA was under development.
Not just in the numbers.

The point Cliff had is specifically pertinent on decades of knowledge, experience and philosophy. There is enough of the old guard of those there and the new coming in learn right from them because they have skillsets and appreciation. The need to come from WDI first became less and less. Not just creatively, but hospitality in general for the company.

Andrew25

People flip flop between both companies (and third parties) all the time.

There are folks who are concept artists who might have previously worked on Epic and are now at WDI as they start to reinvest into the parks and need their expertise.

Universal Creative has increased in size, and will continue to as they work on projects like HHN Vegas, the Kids park, and the UK park.

Cliff

Not just in the numbers.

The point Cliff had is specifically pertinent on decades of knowledge, experience and philosophy. There is enough of the old guard of those there and the new coming in learn right from them because they have skillsets and appreciation. The need to come from WDI first became less and less. Not just creatively, but hospitality in general for the company.
Not trying to go too far off-topic here. (I tend to do that often;-)

"American Heartland" is yet ANOTHER new Disney-style project that appears (in the Blue Sky stage anyway) to again, capture the Disney-quality "Imagineering" that we have all come to love over the generations. And,...it's being done by a no-name company using ex-Disney Imagineers and over two billion dollars. They break ground this year.

American Heartland.jpg

For most of my life, Disney Imagineering was unique, proprietary and "safe" from any other company matching them. No,...that is no longer the case anymore! ANY company today, if they have the money and the willpower, can create anything that is truly "Disney-quality"....and completely PASS Disney and run right by it. (potentially)

The "Imagineering" industry is no longer a test or race of knowledge and skill. That knowledge and skill have escaped the walls of the company. It's a race and test of sheer actual "willpower". The organization that "wants" it the most can now have what Disney has (or had)....and "can" pass Disney with MUCH more.

I would argue that Disney might no longer have the Imagineering "willpower" today to be #1 and unique any longer.

Walt Disney's "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow" will never be built by Disney. Someday, it will probably be built in a place like Dubai by a company that has the willpower to do it. It could literally be more "Disney",...than actual Disney is today.

"Disney magic" now belongs to anybody.

I think that this is where we are now....

Last edited:

sonoma15

Not trying to go too far off-topic here. (I tend to do that often;-)

"American Heartland" is yet ANOTHER new Disney-style project that appears (in the Blue Sky stage anyway) to again, capture the Disney-quality "Imagineering" that we have all come to love over the generations. And,...it's being done by a no-name company using ex-Disney Imagineers and over two billion dollars. They break ground this year.

View attachment 775697

For most of my life, Disney Imagineering was unique, proprietary and "safe" from any other company matching them. No,...that is no longer the case anymore! ANY company today, if they have the money and the willpower, can create anything that is truly "Disney-quality"....and completely PASS Disney and run right by it. (potentially)

The "Imagineering" industry is no longer a test or race of knowledge and skill. That knowledge and skill have escaped the walls of the company. It's a race and test of sheer actual "willpower". The organization that "wants" it the most can now have what Disney has (or had)....and "can" pass Disney with MUCH more.

I would argue that Disney might no longer have the Imagineering "willpower" today to be #1 and unique any longer.

Walt Disney's "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow" will never be built by Disney. Someday, it will probably be built in a place like Dubai by a company that has the willpower to do it. It could literally be more "Disney",...than actual Disney is today.

"Disney magic" now belongs to anybody.

I think that this is where we are now....
If I'm being real. No way this park actually ever happens. Yes, they are breaking ground this year but only on an RV park and campground. If it does happen, it will not be on the scale or size of that concept art, because they have no money to do so, I honestly doubt 2 billion is enough, and for reference, Epic Universe is costing north of 6 billion dollars, and will probably be the most expensive theme park ever built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom