Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

UNCgolf

It’s the best coaster in the southeast US. If you think it’s boring, you’re wrong. I’ll chalk you up to being another donnie.

Or, you know, you could accept that people look for different things in attractions instead of just dismissing anything that doesn't conform to your personal opinions.

It's not that Velocicoaster is boring compared to other roller coasters (and I even specifically said boring is a weird word to use). It's that I find coasters in general "boring" (again, not really the best word) unless they are heavily themed. The sheer physical thrill isn't especially interesting to me; I need something more than that to really enjoy an attraction.

It's not like I'm suggesting they should tear it down or that other people are wrong to enjoy it. It just doesn't do much for me personally.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

It's definitely not an off-the-shelf coaster, but I don't think it's comparable to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as a thematic experience (and that's not because Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is something incredible), even though I understand that it's diegetically a roller coaster inside the Jurassic World theme park. I'm also only talking about the thematic experience while actually on the ride.

That's a separate discussion from whether it's a good attraction in a vacuum, though, and it is one of the few examples where a relatively unthemed coaster actually works thematically in the themed setting.

The issue I have with 7DMT is that while the rockwork and trees are pretty, there's not much that's thematically significant on the ride. You have the short scene with the Dwarfs in the mine and the cottage at the end but there's really not much else. I think its next closest comparison is Big Thunder Mountain, which is full of little scenes and props that do a lot to flesh out the world it's trying to sell you and 7DMT unfortunately has very little of this. While much of Velocicoaster is a sleek, concrete building, it's tying quite heavily into the first film narratively and is full of small details that reveal a larger story through deduction.

I would like to see more to it like the heavily rumored scene at the end that was supposed to have been cut, but it's ultimately a world class coaster that is doing a lot more storytelling than it really needed to do, at least in my opinion.

UNCgolf

The issue I have with 7DMT is that while the rockwork and trees are pretty, there's not much that's thematically significant on the ride. You have the short scene with the Dwarfs in the mine and the cottage at the end but there's really not much else. I think its next closest comparison is Big Thunder Mountain, which is full of little scenes and props that do a lot to flesh out the world it's trying to sell you and 7DMT unfortunately has very little of this. While much of Velocicoaster is a sleek, concrete building, it's tying quite heavily into the first film narratively and is full of small details that reveal a larger story through deduction.

I would like to see more to it like the heavily rumored scene at the end that was supposed to have been cut, but it's ultimately a world class coaster that is doing a lot more storytelling than it really needed to do, at least in my opinion.

I don't think 7DMT does much either; it's certainly not comparable to better themed coasters like Expedition Everest (especially if all original effects were working) and Big Thunder Mountain, or Hagrid's and Mummy at Universal (7DMT is at least better than Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleighs). I do think it offers more than Velocicoaster if you want something more than just physical thrill on an attraction, though, mostly because of the two scenes.

Anyways, this is all about what I personally enjoy. As I said above, I've never been overly interested in coasters solely as coasters; they don't really thrill me. While I agree Velocicoaster does a bit more than it needed to as something that's specifically intended to be a roller coaster thematically, it doesn't do anywhere near enough to make it worth waiting for if the physical thrill isn't a draw for you (to be clear, I'm not suggesting 7DMT is worth waiting for either). It's very similar to Slinky Dog Dash in that way, although obviously the on-ride physical experience is not remotely similar between the two.

The bigger potential issue re: Epic Universe (to bring it back to the thread topic) is how many of their coasters will make thematic sense in their location, assuming they're open air and exposed track. At the very least, regardless of anything else, Velocicoaster (and Slinky Dog) work diegetically in their locations. Will that be the case for the coasters at EU? I don't know enough about what they're building.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

Or, you know, you could accept that people look for different things in attractions instead of just dismissing anything that doesn't conform to your personal opinions.

It's not that Velocicoaster is boring compared to other roller coasters (and I even specifically said boring is a weird word to use). It's that I find coasters in general "boring" (again, not really the best word) unless they are heavily themed. The sheer physical thrill isn't especially interesting to me; I need something more than that to really enjoy an attraction.

It's not like I'm suggesting they should tear it down or that other people are wrong to enjoy it. It just doesn't do much for me personally.
IMO Velocicoaster is the best coaster I've ever been on. I emphasize the word coaster. It's not the best coaster-based attraction though. I would rather ride Hagrid's than Velocicoaster. To me, VC just falls short on theming elements and I know it's going at 65mph but they still could've given the feel of threat from the raptors. Maybe have a simple animatronic (like the bird on a stick) pop out at one of the corners...or pop up on a rock right before the coaster dives under. Yes, you're in the raptor paddock...but never once do I feel like the raptors are a threat...they're just there.

JT3000

IMO Velocicoaster is the best coaster I've ever been on. I emphasize the word coaster. It's not the best coaster-based attraction though. I would rather ride Hagrid's than Velocicoaster. To me, VC just falls short on theming elements and I know it's going at 65mph but they still could've given the feel of threat from the raptors. Maybe have a simple animatronic (like the bird on a stick) pop out at one of the corners...or pop up on a rock right before the coaster dives under. Yes, you're in the raptor paddock...but never once do I feel like the raptors are a threat...they're just there.
The bird on a stick isn't an animatronic though. It's a static bird... on a stick. Velocicoaster's on-ride raptors are also static, but they probably couldn't justify spending the money to make them animatronics when you speed past them so quickly. It's not like you're just sitting there staring at them, unlike the bird... on a stick. And we know they can do convincing raptor animatronics, as the queue (and other, more recent Jurassic rides) proves, so that wasn't the issue.

Velocicoaster is in fact highly themed for a large, outdoor roller coaster that's meant to be thrilling to actual thrillseekers rather than just your typical Disney (or even Universal) clientele. I can only think of one or two others -- worldwide -- that even compare. These things are almost never thematic works of art. So people need to place it within the proper context before judging it instead of comparing it to Disney's coasters, as they don't have anything remotely comparable, and it's not like I can't point out serious thematic problems in some of their coasters that are significantly smaller & less intense, meaning they should've been easier to theme. Disney is still the best at theming coasters (at least until a focal point of the ride breaks and then stays broken for literal decades), but their best-themed coasters would all be considered kiddie rides by Velocicoaster's target demographic. The same will be true of most Epic Universe coasters, with the exception of Starfall Racers. Should you expect to be blown away by the theming of all the smaller coasters? Probably not, but it's way too soon in the park's progress to be nitpicking. We don't actually know what these rides will look like yet. Of course, reason & logic can never be applicable for a certain troll.

Last edited:

Andrew25

This is amazing—Jurassic World Adventure at Universal Beijing. I hope EU has at least a couple rides like this.

The Ministry of Magic is rumored to be very practical effects heavy with large sets (Gringotts was also billed as this, so we shall see).

Regarding the coaster debate, everyone has their preference. This is the real world, roller coasters have a budget and unfortunately, you can't have extreme thrills with grand theming - Velocicoaster is the closest we'll get. The most well-regarded theme park in the world, DisneySea, has an off-the-shelf coaster with bare-support structures. This is a debate that is nothing but silly. You should see the smiles on people's faces exiting Velocicoaster.

Universal saw that the Orlando market was being underserved coaster-wise back in the 90s (you had to travel to Tampa, SeaWorld had yet to open a coaster of their own) so they went after that demographic.

As for Epic, Donkey Kong is going to be very well-themed and the How to Train Your Dragon coaster will have way more rockwork than Slinky Dog, and it's a comparable coaster in "style" with 2 launches and family-friendly elements.

WDWFREAK53

The bird on a stick isn't an animatronic though. It's a static bird... on a stick. Velocicoaster's on-ride raptors are also static, but they probably couldn't justify spending the money to make them animatronics when you speed past them so quickly. It's not like you're just sitting there staring at them, unlike the bird... on a stick. And we know they can do convincing raptor animatronics, as the queue (and other, more recent Jurassic rides) proves, so that wasn't the issue.

Velocicoaster is in fact highly themed for a large, outdoor roller coaster that's meant to be thrilling to actual thrillseekers rather than just your typical Disney (or even Universal) clientele. I can only think of one or two others -- worldwide -- that even compare. These things are almost never thematic works of art. So people need to place it within the proper context before judging it instead of comparing it to Disney's coasters, as they don't have anything remotely comparable, and it's not like I can't point out serious thematic problems in some of their coasters that are significantly smaller & less intense, meaning they should've been easier to theme. Disney is still the best at theming coasters (at least until a focal point of the ride breaks and then stays broken for literal decades), but their best-themed coasters would all be considered kiddie rides by Velocicoaster's target demographic. The same will be true of most Epic Universe coasters, with the exception of Starfall Racers. Should you expect to be blown away by the theming of all the smaller coasters? Probably not, but it's way too soon in the park's progress to be nitpicking. We don't actually know what these rides will look like yet. Of course, reason & logic can never be applicable for a certain troll.
Yes, I mispoke with the term "animatronic" but I did say simple "LIKE" the bird on a stick. The bird itself is static which is basically what I was saying about the raptor being but have it pop up (like the bird but faster) to give you that extra little jump-scare right before a drop or turn. It wouldn't need to be on the level of the Yeti or the queue raptors.

Rich Brownn

None of this is really relevant to the point I made.

Velocicoaster is a very lightly themed coaster in terms of the on-ride experience, which is why it's ultimately rather boring to me and not worth waiting in line to ride. Disney has coasters like this too; it's not an attack on Universal.

It's also just my personal preference in attractions; it doesn't mean it's bad. I don't think there's really an argument regarding the amount of theming while riding the attraction, though. It's not supposed to be anything other than a roller coaster.
You can say many things about VC but boring is not one of them. It's considered to be one of the great coasters built, and one of (if not the) most intense coasters in Florida.

Rich Brownn

Yes, I mispoke with the term "animatronic" but I did say simple "LIKE" the bird on a stick. The bird itself is static which is basically what I was saying about the raptor being but have it pop up (like the bird but faster) to give you that extra little jump-scare right before a drop or turn. It wouldn't need to be on the level of the Yeti or the queue raptors.
Not to mention the queue features two state of the art animatronics, and a unique LCD transparent screen that features the dinos chasing the train as it zooms by (which catches people off guard a lot of the time). Compare that to all the animatronics in Guardians and Rock N Roller... oh wait....

Andrew25

Not to mention the queue features two state of the art animatronics, and a unique LCD transparent screen that features the dinos chasing the train as it zooms by (which catches people off guard a lot of the time). Compare that to all the animatronics in Guardians and Rock N Roller... oh wait....

shhhhh, people are still recovering from disco yeti

Andrew25

Ah, but does that include ride installation inside? I always notice they usually say "by the summer..." or "no later than...

That's literally just a countdown clock using a date as % to completion lol

Park looks like it could open this time next year at the current pace of construction lol

With that said, the only thing really holding them back is that fancy roundabout in the sky and the sand lake intersection. I4 just started work on major renovations along the tourism corridor, so traffic is going to become a nightmare.

SpectreJordan

It's the best ride at USF and nothing else is even close, except maybe E.T.
I agree & I'm not even a big fan of The Mummy. That says a lot about how much work USF needs IMO.
Mostly agree but in totality Gringotts is superior to Mummy due to its 9 or 10 lifelike goblins in the queue and even though it has very limited tangible show scenes the few it does have are very good(just way too many screens really hurt). Gringotts also has a thrilling and well executed climax.
Gringotts is the Mummy but not as good. The queue IS amazing though, a contender for the best queue ever.

SpectreJordan

Gringotts is great, but its ending is very anti-climatic compared to the hot start. (Same with Rise, great start but the ending is a bit underwhelming IMO.)

I don't view Gringotts as a coaster, it's a dark ride that just happens to utilize a coaster system for some elements.
Really? I think the escape pod drop is a pretty good finale to the ride, I do wish the drop was a bit longer though.
I really do love the celestial theme of this parks core, cant wait to visit in a couple years! Will it be as good as IoA?...maybe maybe not. I still may prefer IoA attractions more overall but this looks great regardless imo
Even if it's not as good as IOA, EU is shaping up to be a great successor.

Andrew25

I just want all the Universal parks to be comparable. IoA and EU will likely be but USF is wayyyyy lacking behind.
EU will be a great park, but part of me prefers 2 really solid parks with the enhancements/attractions EU is getting. Imagine USF with Monsters, Wizarding Paris, Nintendo, while IOA replaces Lost Continent with HTTYD.

This is just a phase of work where changes are easily noticed.
Obviously, just messing around

SpectreJordan

I just want all the Universal parks to be comparable. IoA and EU will likely be but USF is wayyyyy lacking behind.
USF is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to these other two. Ideally, it'd get a massive overhaul after EU opens. But I don't think that's very realistic after how much Comcast is already pouring into EU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom