Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

999th Happy Haunt

USF is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to these other two. Ideally, it'd get a massive overhaul after EU opens. But I don't think that's very realistic after how much Comcast is already pouring into EU.
Looking at the potential timeline I actually think the Lost Continent replacement will come before any major new additions to USF, so I guess the IoA love never ends. I'm totally guessing but I think a Springfield replacement will be the next major project at USF, circa 2028 if the Simpsons contract rumors are true.
EU will be a great park, but part of me prefers 2 really solid parks with the enhancements/attractions EU is getting. Imagine USF with Monsters, Wizarding Paris, Nintendo, while IOA replaces Lost Continent with HTTYD.
I get this mindset and somewhat agree, but I think in the long term 3 parks is the best move. Monsters would be a dream in USF, but the park probably has enough Potter already and Nintendo doesn't fit great into a "studio" theme, and Lost Continent is already likely getting replaced with Zelda. Putting these concepts in a new park just means more things to do in the resort as a whole.

Unlike WDW's parks where attraction quantity is an issue, USF has an attraction quality issue. A few key replacements (F&F, Simpsons, Fallon, maybe HRRR) and that park is comparable to IoA and EU.

SpectreJordan

Looking at the potential timeline I actually think the Lost Continent replacement will come before any major new additions to USF, so I guess the IoA love never ends. I'm totally guessing but I think a Springfield replacement will be the next major project at USF, circa 2028 if the Simpsons contract rumors are true.

I get this mindset and somewhat agree, but I think in the long term 3 parks is the best move. Monsters would be a dream in USF, but the park probably has enough Potter already and Nintendo doesn't fit great into a "studio" theme, and Lost Continent is already likely getting replaced with Zelda. Putting these concepts in a new park just means more things to do in the resort as a whole.

Unlike WDW's parks where attraction quantity is an issue, USF has an attraction quality issue. A few key replacements (F&F, Simpsons, Fallon, maybe HRRR) and that park is comparable to IoA and EU.
I'd be okay with a Disney style slow transformation of USF. I know it's not realistic for most of the park to be closed for construction lol

If it was up to me, I'd heavily retheme the NYC/LA areas. I don't think those areas look too good, they just seem like buildings (I know atleast some of them are real soundstages). Let's get some really nice theming in there, Universal is more than capable of that.

999th Happy Haunt

I'd be okay with a Disney style slow transformation of USF. I know it's not realistic for most of the park to be closed for construction lol

If it was up to me, I'd heavily retheme the NYC/LA areas. I don't think those areas look too good, they just seem like buildings (I know atleast some of them are real soundstages). Let's get some really nice theming in there, Universal is more than capable of that.
I actually think NY and Hollywood are some of the best and most detailed areas of the park. San Fran, Springfield, and what’s left of World Expo need work.

Andrew25

The biggest difference between Disney and Universal right now is that Universal doesn't seem to want to remain complacent with their parks. Even with a massive resort expansion in the works, they're currently updating Kidzone and small infrastructure projects throughout the current parks. USF is getting a pretty decent entertainment package next year, with hopefully a slow "DCA-esque" update for the latter part of the decade.

Rob562

So is anyone else bothered by the images of the pool areas at the hotels? They look like big ovals. Nothing more nothing less.

The two hotels that aren't the one adjacent to the park will likely be comparable to the Endless Summer hotels, which have fairly boring shapes and limited theming and decoration. Just palm trees.

-Rob

999th Happy Haunt

I'm counting Springfield as gone already tbh. I don't see the contract being extended.
True. It’s somewhat of a shame because I think the springfield area itself is kind of nice, but the Simpsons ride drags it down so much with how bad it’s gotten in recent years. On my past couple rides even the team members were making a joke of it by saying the old Back to the Future safety speil.

SpectreJordan

True. It’s somewhat of a shame because I think the springfield area itself is kind of nice, but the Simpsons ride drags it down so much with how bad it’s gotten in recent years. On my past couple rides even the team members were making a joke of it by saying the old Back to the Future safety speil.
I'm a massive Simpsons fan so I really enjoy the land but yeeeah, at the very least, the ride needs to go.

Andrew25

I'm counting Springfield as gone already tbh. I don't see the contract being extended.
The ride itself is in really bad shape... but the land is a money maker. I think Universal will try everything they can to retain the merchandising/dining rights for the property while they just get rid of the ride itself and use it with USF's massive expansion pad.

The two hotels that aren't the one adjacent to the park will likely be comparable to the Endless Summer hotels, which have fairly boring shapes and limited theming and decoration. Just palm trees.

-Rob
While I do agree that Endless Summer hotels have pretty drab exteriors, the rooms themselves are ridiculously good and the amenities are great. At the end of the day, they are value hotels designed for sleeping after a day at the parks.

The two new hotels are much more comparable to the prime-value category like Cabana Bay. The exteriors are gonna be amazing.

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
Aerial look across Dark Universe at the in-park resort of Epic Universe. Some of the Harry Potter related land is upper right.
1698438261595.png

Aerial overview of Dark Universe relative to the in-park Epic Universe resort and large fountain basin.
1698438282675.png

A very wide aerial overview of Dark Universe in Epic Universe.
1698438311277.png

Aerial overview of Dark Universe in Epic Universe.
1698438337861.png
Aerial look across Dark Universe to the large fountain basin in center of Epic Universe.
1698438364808.png
A nearly straight-down aerial photo of the portal and village of Dark Universe in Epic Universe.
1698438391551.png
Aerial look from the center of Epic Universe into Dark Universe.1 Believed to be a BBQ restaurant2 Curse of the Werewolf roller coaster3 Manor fronting the featured attraction4 Village and portal of the land
1698438423878.png

JT3000

I wonder if Universal Creative will give a subtle nod or two to Haunted Mansion in their new Monster Manor ride?
If they do, I imagine it will be something satirical in nature (and in predictable fashion, all the Disney fanboys will fail to see the satire and accuse them of just being copycats.) But they might be past that phase of openly poking fun at Disney. I can't remember the last time they did it.

Rich Brownn

Loo
If they do, I imagine it will be something satirical in nature (and in predictable fashion, all the Disney fanboys will fail to see the satire and accuse them of just being copycats.) But they might be past that phase of openly poking fun at Disney. I can't remember the last time they did it.
Look at the current billboards -- they are a subtle stab at Disney.

rd805

I just want all the Universal parks to be comparable. IoA and EU will likely be but USF is wayyyyy lacking behind.

After EU is done, I think they will focus on cleaning USF a bit too. They are already upgrading the kids section, but I think replacements for Rip Ride Rockit, Fast & the Furious, empty theatre / Fear Factor HAVE to be in the works....right? RIGHT?! (PLEASE ha).

Andrew25

After EU is done, I think they will focus on cleaning USF a bit too. They are already upgrading the kids section, but I think replacements for Rip Ride Rockit, Fast & the Furious, empty theatre / Fear Factor HAVE to be in the works....right? RIGHT?! (PLEASE ha).

They're getting a mini-boost next year with a pretty decent entertainment package and retheme of Kidzone to keep the park fresh while they work on larger plans. Universal has been very public about continuing investments/expansion at their parks.

WDWFREAK53

Is Rip Ride Rockit that bad? I hate what it's done for the views of the park (and I've never actually been on it because nobody I'm with ever cares to ride it) but it offers something unique to that park aside from the screen-based simulator attractions thrown everywhere.

999th Happy Haunt

Is Rip Ride Rockit that bad? I hate what it's done for the views of the park (and I've never actually been on it because nobody I'm with ever cares to ride it) but it offers something unique to that park aside from the screen-based simulator attractions thrown everywhere.
It's not great at all. Theming is non-existent and is by far the roughest ride in the resort. Getting to pick your song is fun but it sounds like the amount of choices has been slashed significantly.

If I had to bet, I'd think we'll see a retheme of Rockit to F&F, freeing up the Supercharged plot for future development while still keeping the IP in the park.

Andrew25

As much as I, and lots of fans, despise Rockit... it's a favorite of the GP. Gets high guest satisfaction scores and, I really hate saying this, has become an "icon" of the resort.

The one positive about it is the kinetic energy it brings to half the park since every other attraction is indoors and the lands are just a concrete wasteland with bare bone soundstages and facades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom