Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

UNCgolf

I love the argument, "If you remove all of the theming to make it unique, it's just an off-the-shelf attraction."

Doesn't that mean Rise of the Resistance is an off-the-shelf ride because Ratatouille exists?

I think the point is somewhat fair regarding Velocicoaster, which is very lightly themed (at least as far as the on-ride experience), but I agree with you in general.

DonniePeverley

I think the point is somewhat fair regarding Velocicoaster, which is very lightly themed (at least as far as the on-ride experience), but I agree with you in general.

My point exactly.

Velocicoaster is just a general coaster bought of the shelf. They then rebrand it, add some nice queue, colour the track etc - but at the heart it's just a generic coaster that you would find at Six Flags.

That's my point. I am sick of these generic coasters. Universal is more that that.

In saying that Hagrids was just wonderful.

WDWFREAK53

My point exactly.

Velocicoaster is just a general coaster bought of the shelf. They then rebrand it, add some nice queue, colour the track etc - but at the heart it's just a generic coaster that you would find at Six Flags.

That's my point. I am sick of these generic coasters. Universal is more that that.

In saying that Hagrids was just wonderful.
You just described Rock n Rollercoaster.

Poseidon Quest

This isn't directed at you because I know your goal here is to be combative and annoying, but to anyone who might be reading, The Velocicoaster is certainly not an off-the-shelf experience. Like any art, coasters can be full of nuance and the layout is incredibly specific and unique to Islands of Adventure. It's crafted to be visually and kinetically stunning from various locations on the ground and its elements create an incredibly well paced and novel experience, especially with the unique roll over the water. Plus, the coaster itself is woven into the story of Jurassic World and while that franchise may not necessarily resonate well with everyone, The Velocicoaster is doing a lot more thematically than something like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train or Rock n' Rollercoaster.

UNCgolf

This isn't directed at you because I know your goal here is to be combative and annoying, but to anyone who might be reading, The Velocicoaster is certainly not an off-the-shelf experience. Like any art, coasters can be full of nuance and the layout is incredibly specific and unique to Islands of Adventure. It's crafted to be visually and kinetically stunning from various locations on the ground and its elements create an incredibly well paced and novel experience, especially with the unique roll over the water. Plus, the coaster itself is woven into the story of Jurassic World and while that franchise may not necessarily resonate well with everyone, The Velocicoaster is doing a lot more thematically than something like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train or Rock n' Rollercoaster.

It's definitely not an off-the-shelf coaster, but I don't think it's comparable to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as a thematic experience (and that's not because Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is something incredible), even though I understand that it's diegetically a roller coaster inside the Jurassic World theme park. I'm also only talking about the thematic experience while actually on the ride.

That's a separate discussion from whether it's a good attraction in a vacuum, though, and it is one of the few examples where a relatively unthemed coaster actually works thematically in the themed setting.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I never said Epic was all coasters. I said there seems to be far too many coasters.

Coasters in my opinion are cheap attractions you find in your local theme park. Universal and Disney are so much more than that. See the innovation and ground breaking technology for attractions like Spiderman when it first came out.
Coasters aren't cheap -- especially ones like Hagrids. But even the ones like the dual coasters coast millions of dollars. They also fill out the appeal of the park - some people want thrill rides, some want dark rides, some want both. There's a whopping 4 in the whole park, one of which is a unique and innovative design, two of which are themed to the lands they are on complete with show buildings. If you think they're Six Flags style coasters, you must have one hell of a SF near you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Brownn

It's definitely not an off-the-shelf coaster, but I don't think it's comparable to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as a thematic experience (and that's not because Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is something incredible), even though I understand that it's diegetically a roller coaster inside the Jurassic World theme park. I'm also only talking about the thematic experience while actually on the ride.

That's a separate discussion from whether it's a good attraction in a vacuum, though, and it is one of the few examples where a relatively unthemed coaster actually works thematically in the themed setting.
7D is a very short kiddie coaster (the swinging turned out to be a waste). VC is designed to be a world-class coaster-it opted for theme (the queue is light years beyond any SF coaster) and track design over highest, longest etc. It's literally two coasters in one - the first half twisting and turning over rock work and waterfalls, the second half flat out speed and thrills. SF goes for biggest, longest etc and doesn't add rock work, plants, waterfalls, etc.

jpinkc

I am seeing far too many lazy off the shelf coasters, slap of paint, make a nice queue and call it 'whatever IP you want'. Universal are doing this lazy nonsense far too much now.

Where is the innovation ? Or is it making things on the cheap ?
I do agree somewhat with this. They dont want to be Disney in the past when they didnt have enough (exciting coaster) rides to appeal to tweens and coaster enthusiasts. It did make them seem like a kiddie park. But I am concerned about non coaster attractions for Epic. They Coasters are getting all the noise, I do know of one Flume ride I have seen a bit about. But they do need to flesh out NON Coaster attractions. They need some dark rides etc, I know of 2 that might be dark rides, Monster one and the Yoshi one? As I am getting older I know which Coasters I can still do and which ones I cant LOL. So for me Peter Pan, Pooh, (damn I miss Mr Toad still), Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Living with the Land, Rat, Pandora, Dinosaur etc, still are enjoyable and someday maybe I can still go to the parks with a grandchild and we both enjoy it. Unless they price us all out. :eek:

Andrew25

I do agree somewhat with this. They dont want to be Disney in the past when they didnt have enough (exciting coaster) rides to appeal to tweens and coaster enthusiasts. It did make them seem like a kiddie park. But I am concerned about non coaster attractions for Epic. They Coasters are getting all the noise, I do know of one Flume ride I have seen a bit about. But they do need to flesh out NON Coaster attractions. They need some dark rides etc, I know of 2 that might be dark rides, Monster one and the Yoshi one? As I am getting older I know which Coasters I can still do and which ones I cant LOL. So for me Peter Pan, Pooh, (damn I miss Mr Toad still), Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Living with the Land, Rat, Pandora, Dinosaur etc, still are enjoyable and someday maybe I can still go to the parks with a grandchild and we both enjoy it. Unless they price us all out. :eek:

Epic Universe will have 4 dark rides - Mario Kart, Yoshi, Monsters, Potter. Plus 2 theater shows and a nighttime spectacular. 3 of the coasters are “family-friendly” with no intense maneuvers or inversion.

From Day 1 it’ll have a comparable lineup to DHS with expansion pads available.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No theme park is going to open with
Epic Universe will have 4 dark rides - Mario Kart, Yoshi, Monsters, Potter. Plus 2 theater shows and a nighttime spectacular. 3 of the coasters are “family-friendly” with no intense maneuvers or inversion.

I think the opening lineup it pretty balanced. Not all rides can be ground breaking e-tickets. Someone pointed out Spiderman, but ignores that fact that it opened in a land with two off the shelf flat rides and a pretty standard coaster.

The Universal nay-sayers should also be happy that the opening lineup isn't overly screen heavy.

Rush

More rides than DHS and AK, and same amount as EPCOT.

a pretty standard coaster.

The Hulk was actually revolutionary as a coaster and remains iconic to the coaster enthusiast community to this day.

UNCgolf

7D is a very short kiddie coaster (the swinging turned out to be a waste). VC is designed to be a world-class coaster-it opted for theme (the queue is light years beyond any SF coaster) and track design over highest, longest etc. It's literally two coasters in one - the first half twisting and turning over rock work and waterfalls, the second half flat out speed and thrills. SF goes for biggest, longest etc and doesn't add rock work, plants, waterfalls, etc.

None of this is really relevant to the point I made.

Velocicoaster is a very lightly themed coaster in terms of the on-ride experience, which is why it's ultimately rather boring to me and not worth waiting in line to ride. Disney has coasters like this too; it's not an attack on Universal.

It's also just my personal preference in attractions; it doesn't mean it's bad. I don't think there's really an argument regarding the amount of theming while riding the attraction, though. It's not supposed to be anything other than a roller coaster.

Last edited:

My95cobras

None of this is really relevant to the point I made.

Velocicoaster is a very lightly themed coaster in terms of the on-ride experience, which is why it's ultimately rather boring to me and not worth waiting in line to ride. Disney has coasters like this too; it's not an attack on Universal.

It's also just my personal preference in attractions; it doesn't mean it's bad. I don't think there's really an argument regarding the amount of theming while riding the attraction, though. It's not supposed to be anything other than a roller coaster.

what more theming would you like at 65mph, outside?

UNCgolf

what more theming would you like at 65mph, outside?

That's the whole point. It can't really be a good themed experience.

As I said, it's not supposed to be anything other than a roller coaster in the Jurassic World universe, so the theming works to that extent, but it's just kind of... boring, I guess, even though I know that's not how most people would describe a roller coaster.

Hagrid's and Revenge of the Mummy are both much better coasters at Universal solely from a theming perspective.

Last edited:

My95cobras

That's the whole point. It can't really be a good themed experience.

As I said, it's not supposed to be anything other than a roller coaster in the Jurassic World universe, so the theming works to that extent, but it's just kind of... boring, I guess, even though I know that's not how most people would describe a roller coaster.

Hagrid's and Revenge of the Mummy are both much better coasters at Universal solely from a theming perspective.
It’s the best coaster in the southeast US. If you think it’s boring, you’re wrong. I’ll chalk you up to being another donnie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom