Universal Demolishing Soundstage 44

djlaosc

I don't get this sentiment. How many top secret facilities do you know of that have big graphics pointing out what they are?

I was thinking "is this supposed to be a top secret facility"? (I wouldn't know, I've not seen the films) The only way it could be more obvious would be for a gigantic flashing arrow to be floating above it and "THIS IS A TOP SECRET NEST FACILITY" to be written all over the walls!

JT3000

I don't get this sentiment. How many top secret facilities do you know of that have big graphics pointing out what they are?

It would seem like a conflict of interests. However, with many real-life "top secret" facilities, their locations aren't part of the secret. We know where they are, we just don't know what they're doing. Also, remember that the general public probably isn't supposed to know what NEST means, so it would just look like a generic military base to them.

They just need to add a sign like this one and I'll be content. ;)

area51sign.gif

c-one

Not sure why Uni didn't just make it look like a city scape... would have been doable and could have blended in with the environs. No reason at all that the exterior must reflect the interior. As good as IOA looks, USF always has looked second-rate and that hasn't changed in recent years.

BryceM

Not sure why Uni didn't just make it look like a city scape... would have been doable and could have blended in with the environs. No reason at all that the exterior must reflect the interior. As good as IOA looks, USF always has looked second-rate and that hasn't changed in recent years.
Universal Studios Florida has just as attractive parts as Islands of Adventure does. It's just a shame that Production Central has to ruin some of the views that the rest of the park supplies, such as New York. The streets of New York at USF are beautifully designed, but then slightly ruined one way with RockIt, and the other with (previously) a giant soundstage, and now a giant industrial looking box.

JT3000

All studio parks have weaknesses in the theming department. I still think USF is better themed than its competition. And overall, it'll improve by leaps and bounds in the coming years.

The view from Hollywood actually annoys me a lot more than the NY side. It's an ugly building, but at least it could theoretically fit in NY, even if it looks nothing like the older architecture around it. I think the only actual thematic lapse is the lack of forced perspective. Seeing it from Hollywood makes no sense, and takes away from the beauty of the lagoon-side area.

cheezbat

All studio parks have weaknesses in the theming department. I still think USF is better themed than its competition. And overall, it'll improve by leaps and bounds in the coming years.

The view from Hollywood actually annoys me a lot more than the NY side. It's an ugly building, but at least it could theoretically fit in NY, even if it looks nothing like the older architecture around it. I think the only actual thematic lapse is the lack of forced perspective. Seeing it from Hollywood makes no sense, and takes away from the beauty of the lagoon-side area.

I'm in total agreement with you. I really wish they had walked away from the soundstage look and opted to build cityscape facades. Would've made the transition between Hollywood and New York much more cohesive.

c-one

Universal Studios Florida has just as attractive parts as Islands of Adventure does. It's just a shame that Production Central has to ruin some of the views that the rest of the park supplies, such as New York. The streets of New York at USF are beautifully designed, but then slightly ruined one way with RockIt, and the other with (previously) a giant soundstage, and now a giant industrial looking box.
Yeah I'm not saying the entire place looks bad, but it's always felt pretty disjointed to me, and even in recent years when Universal has ramped up the "show" big time, there have been these egregious projects relatively recently like this and Rip Ride Rockit that make me wonder if they really care about theme.

cheezbat

Not if you consider part of the reason for it being at the front is to keep the back of the park less crowded for when the potter expansion opens.

I'm sure that's a big reason why Transformers was built where it is...

They really need a replacement for Fear Factor Live though. That show is so outdated now.

djlaosc

Isn't something planned for there? It's just behind TF, Springfield, HP and JP expansion on the list of priorities?

I'm sure it has been said by many on here that Fear Factor is on the list to be removed, but no one has said if there is anything planned to replace it yet.

HTF

I'm sure it has been said by many on here that Fear Factor is on the list to be removed, but no one has said if there is anything planned to replace it yet.

There is a stunt show under development for Moscow, it's very possible it carriers over to Orlando as well. Although it would involve major renovations to open up the theater and it would need to be wider to accomodate the vehicle scenes.

TalkingHead

Walking around the park yesterday, I didn't think the Transformers building looked too out of place. From MIB, it looks fine, the blocky soundstage shape looks in line with the Mummy's show building. From Production Central, over by Shrek, it looks fine. The front of the building didn't bother me when I was up close, nor when I was in San Francisco looking back at it.

The most problematic view, I guess, is from the New York section, but even there it didn't seem especially bad.

I think this is one of those things that theme park "purists" might have a problem with, but the majority of guests will likely overlook.

HTF

FYI,

Show scene installation is complete and full cycle testing begins this week. Just waiting on Oceanneering to fix issues with RV's and add them to the three currently on site.

misterID

The one thing that sucks about Disney buying Marvel is that the transformers ride would have been a great "The Avengers" attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom