Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Pete C

Original Poster
Here we go, more announcements from Universal (well, unofficial announcement). So, what do we have...Harry Potter and Rip Ride Rockit coming to Orlando; Transformers and now Kong coming to Hollywood. That's 4 major BRAND NEW attractions coming to Universal parks in the next 3 years. At Disney we have Cars and Little Mermaid coming to DL, and NOTHING NEW coming to WDW. Awesome!! :brick:

icon_STOP.gif
2010 - King Kong - Rumor - (5/20/09) According to a news report filed at Variety and Deadline Hollywood, Universal will open a new King Kong themed attraction in 2010. Even better, the article reports that the new version of Kong will be some kind of “ground-breaking 4-D multi-sensory marvel”. In kind of a confusing concept, the story claims that guests will put on 3D glasses as the tram enters a large soundstage and through projection effects, you are taken to Skull Island, as seen in the Peter Jackson film. Kong isn’t the only threat as guests will encounter giant bats and other dangers before they find themselves trapped in the middle of a colossal battle between Kong and a huge T-Rex.

raven

Here we go, more announcements from Universal (well, unofficial announcement). So, what do we have...Harry Potter and Rip Ride Rockit coming to Orlando; Transformers and now Kong coming to Hollywood. That's 4 major BRAND NEW attractions coming to Universal parks in the next 3 years. At Disney we have Cars and Little Mermaid coming to DL, and NOTHING NEW coming to WDW. Awesome!! :brick:

The Monster Inc. Coaster should be announced soon.

Pete C

Original Poster
Uh, yeah, because the old Kong, you know, BURNED DOWN. -1 +1 = 0

It's a +1 in my book. They are replacing an old, dated experience with new technology. Are you saying that if Universe of Energy burned down, and was replaced by a completely new attraction with awesome technology, it would not be a +1?? On that note, I would totally consider Space Mountain to be a +1 if they weren't doing the bare minimum.

Fun2BFree

All Disney's efforts are in the beautification of DCA, including adding two new E-Tickets (Cars and Little Mermaid) and a nightime spectacular. At the very least, WDW is getting a refurbed Space Mt, which is as good as another big ride.

EDIT: Besides, what did IoA get from its opening till 2007? A tram ride that was supposed to be open at the park's inception. We've had an unprecedented level of expansion in all four parks (RNRC, ToT 4, M:S, EE and LMAX), and some classics have received needed refurbs (IASW, PotC, HM and SSE). Just because Universal has a few rides now doesn't mean that Disney is stagnating.

hack2112

Nope, also going to USH.
Replacing Backdraft and at least one other building. Work begins later this year for a 2011 opening.
And may make it's way to Orlando if they don't see it as having two Spiderman's right next to each other.

Uni, it's not another Spiderman, it's another Spiderman with AA's and HD video!

All Disney's efforts are in the beautification of DCA, including adding two new E-Tickets (Cars and Little Mermaid) and a nightime spectacular. At the very least, WDW is getting a refurbed Space Mt, which is as good as another big ride.

EDIT: Besides, what did IoA get from its opening till 2007? A tram ride that was supposed to be open at the park's inception. We've had an unprecedented level of expansion in all four parks (RNRC, ToT 4, M:S, EE and LMAX), and some classics have received needed refurbs (IASW, PotC, HM and SSE). Just because Universal has a few rides now doesn't mean that Disney is stagnating.

Im sorry, but as excited as I am about the SM refurb, I would not classify it as as good as another big ride.

Cant start giving disney credit for doing things they are supposed to be doing anyways. Congrats Disney, your refurbing a very old attraction that needed it.

Im sorry, but as excited as I am about the SM refurb, I would not classify it as as good as another big ride.

Cant start giving disney credit for doing things they are supposed to be doing anyways. Congrats Disney, your refurbing a very old attraction that needed it.

I agree with you 100%. Space was long overdue for some kind of major rehab. It doesn't count as getting something new. Besides, in the short time that they have to do the refurb I don't think they're going to totally gut the place and make it brand new again. What's the most we can hope for? Newer ride vehicles? :shrug:

EpcoTim

Very cool. I miss the old Kong ride and Uni's knowledge of 4-D is light years ahad of anything else out there, so this next generation could be quite insane.

hokielutz

Careful what you say.... you could disturb 74 from his slumber and he will invade this thread too.

EpcoTim

some classics have received needed refurbs (IASW, PotC, HM and SSE). Just because Universal has a few rides now doesn't mean that Disney is stagnating.

Well, refurbs are a necessity, Uni does them too. And considering the SSE refurb still isn't complete a year and a half later, I'd say thats a weak argument and seeing as they can't even replace ceiling tiles in Small World, I'd have to throw that into the same category.

jt04

Whed I read the header for this thread I thought it was actually a serious announcement. But since Uni is having trouble even completing HP, I should have known better.

I wonder if Universals parent company is about to build a Vacation Club resort in Hawaii or D.C.?

Pete C

Original Poster
And may make it's way to Orlando if they don't see it as having two Spiderman's right next to each other.

Uni, it's not another Spiderman, it's another Spiderman with AA's and HD video!

I'm still waiting for Disney to have one Spiderman. :lookaroun

Pete C

Original Poster
I wonder if Universals parent company is about to build a Vacation Club resort in Hawaii or D.C.?

I'm confused by this statement. Are you saying that this is somehow a win for Disney fans? To me, it isn't.

Whed I read the header for this thread I thought it was actually a serious announcement. But since Uni is having trouble even completing HP, I should have known better.

Why are they even building those resorts? Seems to me like they should be concentrating on the theme parks that already exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom