Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

disney fan 13

DF13, another great find, but this is kind of old news on other sites... I am not sure if anything has been posted on WDWMagic or not about that though so thanks from bringing that here... Anyway, to further speculate:

Interesting bit of information: Google Project 722 and Universal, and you can find the people involved in this project and their LinkedIn profiles... These people were involved in the original plans for Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

Also, a friend of mine, who I was discussing with this last night, told me to look at page 722 in Deathly Hallows... And what do I read?? Dumbledore telling Harry they are at... KING'S CROSSING.. which is rumored to be part of the Potter expansion on Jaws' former site...

it was more to confirm the project name then anything else, well now we know what to look for in permits

novawildcat18

DF13, another great find, but this is kind of old news on other sites... I am not sure if anything has been posted on WDWMagic or not about that though so thanks from bringing that here... Anyway, to further speculate:

Interesting bit of information: Google Project 722 and Universal, and you can find the people involved in this project and their LinkedIn profiles... These people were involved in the original plans for Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

Also, a friend of mine, who I was discussing with this last night, told me to look at page 722 in Deathly Hallows... And what do I read?? Dumbledore telling Harry they are at... KING'S CROSSING.. which is rumored to be part of the Potter expansion on Jaws' former site...

There has to be some sort of 722 connection, I can't imagine that that number was pulled out of nowhere. Maybe (hopefully) that is the link. I would love to enter King's Cross and go through Platform 9 & 3/4 somehow.

Captain Chaos

There has to be some sort of 722 connection, I can't imagine that that number was pulled out of nowhere. Maybe (hopefully) that is the link. I would love to enter King's Cross and go through Platform 9 & 3/4 somehow.

Well Kings Cross makes sense since that is the train station Hogwarts Express departs from, and part of the plan DOES include a train ride from Universal to IOA on Hogwarts Express... :) So I am sure Kings Cross and Platform 9 3/4 is part of the expansion plan...

disney fan 13

Well Kings Cross makes sense since that is the train station Hogwarts Express departs from, and part of the plan DOES include a train ride from Universal to IOA on Hogwarts Express... :) So I am sure Kings Cross and Platform 9 3/4 is part of the expansion plan...

good job jr investigative reporter:p

but what makes the train a attraction even if it did not connect the two parks?

RSoxNo1

ROFL when I saw those last few posts I decided the same. ;)

MIB is a full-on Dark Ride that would be cool even without the guns. While Buzz is okay (hey, it's a dark ride, and I love dark rides) MIB is simply much more expansive. I mean, the alternate endings are AMAZING if you are lucky enough to get one (they actually "present" you with your suit, and you don't get mind wiped).

As to TSM...as I've said before, I should charge admission to my living room, where I can set up two Wii's and two LCD's, put you in an office chair with rollers, and pretty much duplicate the experience with the Wii version of the game.

I get that a lot of people like it, but MIB isn't even in the same universe as that ride.

So yeah, Men in Black is a substantially more elaborate ride than Toy Story or Buzz. That doesn't mean that you can't have a preference for one of the Disney rides over Men in Black, but it doesn't mean that the detail or quality is better on the Disney rides.

For me, I look at E.T. in a similar way - I think it's a substantially better ride than Peter Pan's Flight but if you say that to any Disney fan they'll defend Peter Pan's Flight to the death. This isn't a situation of me hating on Disney, it's the reality of the situation - sure the franchises being used may not necessarily resonate with the same crowd that the Disney franchises resonate with, but it doesn't mean the ride quality is worse.

A ride can be themed around just about anything, and the quality is not really a function of the source of the theming.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
lol :xmas:]

what interests me is that it does not say pyro layout or light layout but fountains....

and there seems to be a lot of them

also now we know the name of the project...315P... watch the permits....\

EDIT and if anyone's interested i heard that DM's code name is project Dave

There was a permit filed on 12/30 for project 3.15PM. Universal permits appear to be a lot more cryptic then the Disney ones, but based on the location of other recent permits I think this is for Despicable Me.

Dan

Bolna

Well, my edition of Deathly Hallows ends with page 607... :wave: Not sure how much I would put on a page number...

Also, I really wonder how they are going to get around the whole King's Cross dilemma when rebuilding it in a theme park. Supposedly JK Rowling got her London train stations mixed up and it was supposed to be Euston Station. But neither King's Cross nor Euston are pretty - I would say they are very much the opposite of pretty. I think in the films they used the exterior of St Pancras station...

bullsforthewin

So yeah, Men in Black is a substantially more elaborate ride than Toy Story or Buzz. That doesn't mean that you can't have a preference for one of the Disney rides over Men in Black, but it doesn't mean that the detail or quality is better on the Disney rides.

For me, I look at E.T. in a similar way - I think it's a substantially better ride than Peter Pan's Flight but if you say that to any Disney fan they'll defend Peter Pan's Flight to the death. This isn't a situation of me hating on Disney, it's the reality of the situation - sure the franchises being used may not necessarily resonate with the same crowd that the Disney franchises resonate with, but it doesn't mean the ride quality is worse.

A ride can be themed around just about anything, and the quality is not really a function of the source of the theming.

To a point you are correct...but TSM is better quality than MIB. But you are correct

Alektronic

Compliance is very much in the software and Disney has made it very difficult to duplicate legally. They are making a big mistake in my opinion by allowing Garner to fabricate the A100s. That is in the works now and once they teach Garner they will be giving up a huge advantage. Contractually Garner won't be able to build them for anyone else but Disney should know very well how those types of legal issues can be worked around.

There are some other companies that are doing some amazing work in Animatronics (there is one in Japan that can produce as good or better than A100s) that several of us are trying to get on Universal's bid list.

I guess Disney didn't learn anything about the whole Sarcos fiasco? Or maybe they just forgot.

novawildcat18

Well, my edition of Deathly Hallows ends with page 607... :wave: Not sure how much I would put on a page number...

Also, I really wonder how they are going to get around the whole King's Cross dilemma when rebuilding it in a theme park. Supposedly JK Rowling got her London train stations mixed up and it was supposed to be Euston Station. But neither King's Cross nor Euston are pretty - I would say they are very much the opposite of pretty. I think in the films they used the exterior of St Pancras station...
To clarify this, JK Rowling confused the layout of the interior of King's Cross. She imagined that Platform 9 3/4 was actually in the geographic location between Platforms 4 & 5. So in order to make up for her mistake, the movie filmed at King's Cross station at Platforms 4 & 5 and just replaced the numbers on the signs. But yes, the exterior shots were of St. Pancras rather than King's Cross because it was more visually appealing. *All of this info is from imdb.com

whylightbulb

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I'm surprised that the compliance engineering has not become standard by now. Agreed on your comments on Garner. I wasn't aware that A100s were heading out of house as well.

The Imhotep is the worst of the bunch for me. That thing wobbles around like crazy.
There are several companies that offer hydraulic compliance systems, even some that offer aquadraulics and compliance. What Disney is doing with Autonamatronics and Living Characters will keep them ahead of the curve for a while - at least in terms of interactivity. They are also working on things like magnetic eye movement for a much more realistic eye function. My concern is that the technologies like that used to make AAs realistic is what they are allowing Garner to manufacture because they believe it is the interactivity that will set them apart.

Imhotep is a disaster! Its an example of what happens when you receive a low bid and you know it's low but you decide to give it to them because they will have to make it work even if it puts them out of business. That is exactly what happened.

whylightbulb

I guess Disney didn't learn anything about the whole Sarcos fiasco? Or maybe they just forgot.
Yep...Although I would say Sarcos had much more of a hand in the development of the Sarcos technology considering Garner has not had any involvement in the A100s. I'm not sure whose ___ he is kissing but more power to him. At least he is a genuinely nice guy and deserves it from that standpoint. From an experience and technically capable aspect I'm not so sure.

Captain Chaos

Well, true... shouldn't put too much emphasis on the project name and page number... But it is fun trying to decipher things and find small little clues... Just curious, what edition do you have that only goes to page 607??? I have the paperback, as does my friend, so maybe that is why we have over 700 pages... Just curious..

I'm curious as to how they will do the train station as well...

novawildcat18

Well, true... shouldn't put too much emphasis on the project name and page number... But it is fun trying to decipher things and find small little clues... Just curious, what edition do you have that only goes to page 607??? I have the paperback, as does my friend, so maybe that is why we have over 700 pages... Just curious..

I'm curious as to how they will do the train station as well...

I just looked at my edition and on page 722 is the part with Dumbledore telling Harry that they are in King's Cross. My edition is the original one, I got it at midnight the day it was released.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom