Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

alissafalco

So, tell us, what would the ride be???
I have literally hundreds of ideas, just like I'm sure you and so many others do. It is not having a good idea that makes a successfull attraction. You could start with a terrible idea and if the execution is good the idea can turn into an amazing attraction. Likewise you can have an excellent idea and because of bureaucracy and corporate politics it can turn into garbage. What makes a good attraction is the proper balance of creativity (both artistic and technical), execution and budget.

For example, the redo of Journey Into Imagination started out as a great idea in my opinion. I would have prefered that they left the old ride concept alone and refurbished it but that is beside the point. The new idea could have stood on its own if it had been executed properly. Well as most would agree it turned into a disaster! In this case the budget alloted would have been okay for most other organizations other than Disney. But because Disney needs a fair amount more to run each project and support its massive and bloated management structure too much of that budget went into things other than the show. So that, among many other reasons, caused JII to come off as one of the worst attractions in Disney history. It started out as a good idea but turned out bad.

An often forgotten attraction that was alloted a miniscule budget and an unbelievably tight deadline was Cranium Command. Really it was a bad idea from the start because of its budget and deadline. Even the concept and how they were going to pull it off was a bad idea because the subject of the brain is so complex and could come off as boring to most guests. At least that was the sentiment of many at WDI at the time. Yet, in my opinion, CC was one of the best executed and most entertaining shows Disney had ever produced. I'm not saying it was a major blockbuster E-ticket but I'm saying it was better than what it was intended to be and certainly exceeded expectations. They did so much with so little and it worked. It was always the biggest surprise for guests because they didn't expect much. I know one reason was because of the producer who, as far as I know, doesn't work with WDI anymore and it's a shame. From what I've seen he was the one guy that made that project work. He is one of the people I'm referring to when I say give us $300 Million.

So my point is I could spout off plenty of ideas that would excite many. What I was mainly pointing out in my statement regarding the $300 Million was that the current WDI regime along with upper management, as a whole, have not been utilizing their resources effectively and efficiently.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping to hear some cool ideas.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Refresh my memory... Wasn't the MM&Y announcement held in NYC and hosted by that Tom Bergeron or whatever his name is??? Or am I thinking of a different announcement on Press Day in NYC where he was acting drunk, and probably was???

The actual MM&Y promotion and castle show, while the promotion did nothing for me (then again, I don't get all worked up and excited over the promotions), but the Castle show was actually very good...

Yes, the announcement of MM&Y was part of the Let the Memories Begin special that was held in NYC, hosted by Tom Bergeron. Tony nominee (and former WDW cast member) Montego Glover performed the title song, but didn't record it for the actual castle show.

MM&Y was one of those shows which had zero hype leading up to it among many "fans." In fact, I recall a lot of people beng downright hostile to it, which wasn't helped by the fact that the leaked test video was awful.

bullsforthewin

Yes, the announcement of MM&Y was part of the Let the Memories Begin special that was held in NYC, hosted by Tom Bergeron. Tony nominee (and former WDW cast member) Montego Glover performed the title song, but didn't record it for the actual castle show.

MM&Y was one of those shows which had zero hype leading up to it among many "fans." In fact, I recall a lot of people beng downright hostile to it, which wasn't helped by the fact that the leaked test video was awful.

For such a lukewarm presentation i sure did love the actual MM&Y at MK it was awesome in my opinion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
lol...Yeah...it was kinda late...

But, I figure if Disney can be so generous when referring to most of Mermaid....:lol:

Let's just go with "animated figures."
An old imagineering friend called them minimaltronics :animwink:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
lol...Yeah...it was kinda late...

But, I figure if Disney can be so generous when referring to most of Mermaid....:lol:

Let's just go with "animated figures."

LOL :wave:

Who makes most of Uni's figures? The one thing that really bugs me about their actual AAs is that they judder around like crazy at the limits of a move. They seem to never have mastered compliance.

Lee

Adventurer
LOL :wave:

Who makes most of Uni's figures? The one thing that really bugs me about their actual AAs is that they judder around like crazy at the limits of a move. They seem to never have mastered compliance.

Good question for lightbulb. I have no idea who they contract with.:shrug:

whylightbulb

Good question for lightbulb. I have no idea who they contract with.:shrug:
Different companies. If I remember right the Sorting Hat at FJ was Advanced Animations for example. Sometimes we go to Attraction Services. Kongfrontation was Sequoia. Other companies like Lifeformations are also used. Imhotep was fabricated by a film production company that went out of business. Triceratops Encounter AAs were built by a company in Canada. The closest to Disney quality would probably be Advanced Animation's product.

Compliance is very much in the software and Disney has made it very difficult to duplicate legally. They are making a big mistake in my opinion by allowing Garner to fabricate the A100s. That is in the works now and once they teach Garner they will be giving up a huge advantage. Contractually Garner won't be able to build them for anyone else but Disney should know very well how those types of legal issues can be worked around.

There are some other companies that are doing some amazing work in Animatronics (there is one in Japan that can produce as good or better than A100s) that several of us are trying to get on Universal's bid list.

c-one

I love Harry Potter, but I find Forbidden Journey nauseating(and I have a very strong stomach). I really wish the Hogwarts attraction would have accomodated all members of the family, just like the books that the attraction was based on.

There isn't one attraction in the Potter verse that all members of the family can ride together. :shrug:

I think Forbidden Journey is relatively safe for the whole family... moreso than the Non-dueling Dragons, anyway. But I can see how some can't do it and I do think that Universal needs more for the whole family. Both parks skew towards thrill parks at the moment.

disney fan 13

I think Forbidden Journey is relatively safe for the whole family... moreso than the Non-dueling Dragons, anyway. But I can see how some can't do it and I do think that Universal needs more for the whole family. Both parks skew towards thrill parks at the moment.

flight of the hippogriff?

disney fan 13

Different companies. If I remember right the Sorting Hat at FJ was Advanced Animations for example. Sometimes we go to Attraction Services. Kongfrontation was Sequoia. Other companies like Lifeformations are also used. Imhotep was fabricated by a film production company that went out of business. Triceratops Encounter AAs were built by a company in Canada. The closest to Disney quality would probably be Advanced Animation's product.

Compliance is very much in the software and Disney has made it very difficult to duplicate legally. They are making a big mistake in my opinion by allowing Garner to fabricate the A100s. That is in the works now and once they teach Garner they will be giving up a huge advantage. Contractually Garner won't be able to build them for anyone else but Disney should know very well how those types of legal issues can be worked around.

There are some other companies that are doing some amazing work in Animatronics (there is one in Japan that can produce as good or better than A100s) that several of us are trying to get on Universal's bid list.

could you give a example of a A100

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom