Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

Pioneer Hall

When i was there in late October the musical buttons were out of sync, the water from the coffin thing was not working ( i stood there for like 5 minutes because the line was backed up so I can tell you truthfully it was off ) only half the library books worked. so yes that could be considered half working :)

Maybe an off day? A few weeks ago it seemed like things were working fine at the various effects.

c-one

If this were the other way around, and these numbers were about how Potter's shops were out-powering a WDW park, you would be all over it.

The figures alone don't mean a lot, but still very interesting, to me at least.

The world is coming to expect to be able to do everything via their iPhone. The existing WDW infrastructure does not support the massive level of integration that makes such things possible. By investing massively in the computing system at WDW, Disney will be poised to offer things to the guests that have never been done before. Some of these things will be back-of-house things, like reservations, that guests will take for granted. Other things will be more wow elements within attractions.

Some examples
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...ture-of-your-Disney-theme-park-experience.htm
Look, God knows I'm all about my iPhone, but I'm not going to Magic Kingdom just to hear Mickey say my name and ask me how I enjoyed Space Mountain. I think tech advances could make for some fascinating new attraction experiences, but this comes off as gimmicky.

whylightbulb

I'm really interested in seeing what they have for this. Universal have never been able to pull of a half-decent night show, so I'm really intrigued. I don't think their lagoon setup is ideal for a show, the shape of it, and limited viewing areas will always be a problem compared to the setup Epcot has. To create something truly spectacular, they are going to need some serious work and some serious money - is that going to happen? What was World of Color, $100 million?

I have my fingers crossed it works out - anything to crank up the competition in the Orlando areas night shows is a good thing.
You are right in saying that the lagoon setup is not ideal. The show however will pull out all the stops. It isn't budgeted at $100 million but neither was Illuminations. I'm not sure I'd compare it to World of Color but as far as Orlando shows go I think this one will easily compete and outshine most of them. It really depends on how the creative content and media is executed at this point because from a quality and quantity perspective of equipment, fountains, pyro etc. this show has it all.

disney fan 13

You are right in saying that the lagoon setup is not ideal. The show however will pull out all the stops. It isn't budgeted at $100 million but neither was Illuminations. I'm not sure I'd compare it to World of Color but as far as Orlando shows go I think this one will easily compete and outshine most of them. It really depends on how the creative content and media is executed at this point because from a quality and quantity perspective of equipment, fountains, pyro etc. this show has it all.[/QUOTE

Sounds like the show will be very good. Any idea on a opening date

Pioneer Hall

Look, God knows I'm all about my iPhone, but I'm not going to Magic Kingdom just to hear Mickey say my name and ask me how I enjoyed Space Mountain. I think tech advances could make for some fascinating new attraction experiences, but this comes off as gimmicky.

But to a family with a small child, this might be just as good as riding a 100 million dollar ride. Of course not everything needs to be directed to the little ones, but it doesn't mean you can't innovate in those ways for them as well. If Mickey knew my name and asked me how Space Mountain was when I was 5 years old I would have been in awe...and my parents would have been very happy to see me that way. Even with characters not speaking 20 years ago, my mom still speaks most about those interactions than she does about us on any ride after our numerous visits.

whylightbulb

Not sure what you mean... is it the second most popular or near the bottom? I honestly don't follow enough to know. Speaking for me personally, I really have no interest in it. I'm sure I'd ride it if I were there, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it. It just seems like a Six Flags-y "coaster in a parking lot." And from the pictures I've seen it looks like it spoils the theming of a lot of areas. But then again, I haven't seen it in person.
It is literally rated second in those infamous guest surveys. You aren't missing much except a possible headache. It truly is a mystery to me how so many people can come off that ride and say it is the best thing they have ever ridden! to me it ranks up there with Journey Into Imagination in terms of overall experience. Imag. gives me a headache because of how awful the show is and Rockit gives me a headache because I'm being jostled around like ice cubes in a martini shaker.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
But to a family with a small child, this might be just as good as riding a 100 million dollar ride. Of course not everything needs to be directed to the little ones, but it doesn't mean you can't innovate in those ways for them as well. If Mickey knew my name and asked me how Space Mountain was when I was 5 years old I would have been in awe...and my parents would have been very happy to see me that way. Even with characters not speaking 20 years ago, my mom still speaks most about those interactions than she does about us on any ride after our numerous visits.

You are dead right. Spend a few minutes at the exit of a meet and greet and you will see guest expressions and discussion that exceeds most of the post-ride reactions. The people who attend meet and greets get a lot out of them.

whylightbulb

You are right in saying that the lagoon setup is not ideal. The show however will pull out all the stops. It isn't budgeted at $100 million but neither was Illuminations. I'm not sure I'd compare it to World of Color but as far as Orlando shows go I think this one will easily compete and outshine most of them. It really depends on how the creative content and media is executed at this point because from a quality and quantity perspective of equipment, fountains, pyro etc. this show has it all.[/QUOTE

Sounds like the show will be very good. Any idea on a opening date
There hoping to have it ready by summer.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You are right in saying that the lagoon setup is not ideal. The show however will pull out all the stops. It isn't budgeted at $100 million but neither was Illuminations. I'm not sure I'd compare it to World of Color but as far as Orlando shows go I think this one will easily compete and outshine most of them. It really depends on how the creative content and media is executed at this point because from a quality and quantity perspective of equipment, fountains, pyro etc. this show has it all.

Right now I am skeptical it will be anywhere close to Illuminations, but I'm looking forward to it. Let's see if Universal can deliver a good daily night-time show for the first time in its history.

whylightbulb

Right now I am skeptical it will be anywhere close to Illuminations, but I'm looking forward to it. Let's see if Universal can deliver a good daily night-time show for the first time in its history.
You are right to be skeptical. I can tell you however that all the foundation is in place to make this a spectacular show. The only possible snag will be Universal not executing the creative elements properly or potential technical issues that may not get resolved. Since I'm not on that project there is a danger of them not pulling it off properly LOL:p

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You are right to be skeptical. I can tell you however that all the foundation is in place to make this a spectacular show. The only possible snag will be Universal not executing the creative elements properly or potential technical issues that may not get resolved. Since I'm not on that project there is a danger of them not pulling it off properly LOL:p

LOL :wave:

bullsforthewin

When i was there in late October the musical buttons were out of sync, the water from the coffin thing was not working ( i stood there for like 5 minutes because the line was backed up so I can tell you truthfully it was off ) only half the library books worked. so yes that could be considered half working :)

Just curious thank you for sharing

bullsforthewin

But just because YOU dont like that does not mean it is a bad idea...kids would love that...hell i would love that

Horizonsfan

You are dead right. Spend a few minutes at the exit of a meet and greet and you will see guest expressions and discussion that exceeds most of the post-ride reactions. The people who attend meet and greets get a lot out of them.

Good for them that they get such enjoyment out of it. However that is only going to gain them more drooling disney character groupies and lose them all the rest of the public that actually wants a top notch experience. While Uni needs a lot more work to be that experience, they're at least attempting to be one.

The world is coming to expect to be able to do everything via their iPhone. The existing WDW infrastructure does not support the massive level of integration that makes such things possible. By investing massively in the computing system at WDW, Disney will be poised to offer things to the guests that have never been done before. Some of these things will be back-of-house things, like reservations, that guests will take for granted. Other things will be more wow elements within attractions.

But if people want an experience via computer, they'd go to Best Buy. People come to WDW and theme parks for the physical experience at the end of the day. If Disney is investing more money in the virtual rather than the physical, then they've missed their mark. Sure the interactivity is welcomed and fun but there is no way it warrants the price tag. This has money grab written all over it.

If this next gen experience is so top notch, why didn't DLR budget this as their potter killer instead of a new E-Ticket?

c-one

Fair point. But that does nothing for those of us in our 20s and 30s who travel to WDW without kids and aren't the types to wait in half-hour lines for a meet and greet. I KNOW it doesn't cost billions to install a system to let you make a reservation from your iPhone -- that's called OpenTable. Maybe the better question is, will Next-Gen tell me in April what restaurant I will feel like eating at on a random Tuesday in October, so I can get my ADRs in time? ;)

It is literally rated second in those infamous guest surveys. You aren't missing much except a possible headache. It truly is a mystery to me how so many people can come off that ride and say it is the best thing they have ever ridden! to me it ranks up there with Journey Into Imagination in terms of overall experience. Imag. gives me a headache because of how awful the show is and Rockit gives me a headache because I'm being jostled around like ice cubes in a martini shaker.
Every time I start thinking that Universal is getting everything right and Disney is getting it all wrong, I think of Rip Ride Rockit, and I'm brought back down to earth. What a misfire that thing is.

bullsforthewin

Good for them that they get such enjoyment out of it. However that is only going to gain them more drooling disney character groupies and lose them all the rest of the public that actually wants a top notch experience. While Uni needs a lot more work to be that experience, they're at least attempting to be one.

But if people want an experience via computer, they'd go to Best Buy. People come to WDW and theme parks for the physical experience at the end of the day. If Disney is investing more money in the virtual rather than the physical, then they've missed their mark. Sure the interactivity is welcomed and fun but there is no way it warrants the price tag. This has money grab written all over it.

If this next gen experience is so top notch, why didn't DLR budget this as their potter killer instead of a new E-Ticket?

So instead of trying to please their core audience, families, they should please the lunatic fringe?

Horizonsfan

Every time I start thinking that Universal is getting everything right and Disney is getting it all wrong, I think of Rip Ride Rockit, and I'm brought back down to earth. What a misfire that thing is.

Don't forget Dudley Do-Right Ripsaw Falls.:dazzle:

Horizonsfan

So instead of trying to please their core audience, families, they should please the lunatic fringe?

Who said anything about lunatic fringe? M&Gs are great for most but will never be a vacation seller like attractions are. Last I checked, most families enjoy attractions. In fact, family attractions are/were one thing WDW absolutely beats Uni on.:wave:

c-one

Don't forget Dudley Do-Right Ripsaw Falls.:dazzle:
Hey, I like Ripsaw Falls! :lookaroun

I was mostly thinking of Universal's recent additions -- letting IOA stagnate with essentially zero changes for a decade was their biggest mistake. It took 10 years but the honchos at Universal have finally figured out what they need to do to become a better resort experience.

Families don't enjoy attractions? And the lunatics are the people who want a new E-ticket ride, not the people who want a talking Mickey and ride reservations six months ahead of time? Gonna have to disagree with you there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom