Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

Mr Toad

Because it made a lot of money, so people must love it, right?

I mean, how many Cons do you see Navi at today?

Oh...none.

Well...how many Avatar T-shirts do you see people wearing now?

Oh...none.

What about successful toy lines that kids play with?

Oh...none.

Yeah...it really doesn't make much sense...but the movie made a lot of money, so people love it, right?

Right?
And no great video games on X box or Playstation...not even a PC game...

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I have never talked to my friends at Disney about this, but I would think Universal as a hard time writing a royalty check to Disney every month. I would think no matter what a great deal Universal has on use of Marvel at their park, someday they would want to stop sending money to the competition.

lazyboy97o

I have never talked to my friends at Disney about this, but I would think Universal as a hard time writing a royalty check to Disney every month. I would think no matter what a great deal Universal has on use of Marvel at their park, someday they would want to stop sending money to the competition.
Warner Bros and Fox are their competition at the box office. The money goes to Marvel, not Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Just as the ads that they buy on ABC Family do not go to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts either.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Because Avatar made more money than all three Star Wars prequels.
Combined.
Not in domestic gross.

EPI - 718m
EP2 - 425m
EP3 - 472m

And, as a domestic franchise, it was blown away by the original trilogy.

EPIV - 1.4b (yes, billion)
EPV - 781m
EPVI - 748m

Worldwide gross, it blows them away though.

EPI - 1b
EP2 - 649m
EP3 - 850m

But, again, the franchise as a whole made more than Avatar. Though, this may not be the case after the next movie and if the third movie is released. It will be interesting to watch (even if the movies are not).

One thing I will add is, going off box office numbers alone, Avatar is hands down the worldwide unadjusted box office king. But, if you included licensing and toy franchises, I think you'll find that the prequels and Star Wars as a whole has greater cultural impact and certainly has made far more than Avatar. Avatar was a cultural blip where 3D and CGI advances merged together to create a story with a fantastic and unique backdrop.

But, not a very memorable one, and one with an extremely shallow story and characters. :p

BigTxEars

Not in domestic gross.

EPI - 718m
EP2 - 425m
EP3 - 472m

And, as a domestic franchise, it was blown away by the original trilogy.

EPIV - 1.4b (yes, billion)
EPV - 781m
EPVI - 748m

Worldwide gross, it blows them away though.

EPI - 1b
EP2 - 649m
EP3 - 850m

But, again, the franchise as a whole made more than Avatar. Though, this may not be the case after the next movie and if the third movie is released. It will be interesting to watch (even if the movies are not).

One thing I will add is, going off box office numbers alone, Avatar is hands down the worldwide unadjusted box office king. But, if you included licensing and toy franchises, I think you'll find that the prequels and Star Wars as a whole has greater cultural impact and certainly has made far more than Avatar. Avatar was a cultural blip where 3D and CGI advances merged together to create a story with a fantastic and unique backdrop.

But, not a very memorable one, and one with an extremely shallow story and characters. :p

Avatar is a much better fit for AK that SW, God help me but I don't want to see any Ewoks running around AK.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Avatar is a much better fit for AK that SW, God help me but I don't want to see any Ewoks running around AK.
I really don't want to see either at AK. But, I agree. Avatar feels like a shoehorn, but it at least consistent with Beastly Kingdomme. Star Wars wouldn't fit...at all. It belongs at Hollywood Studios though!

I'm not a fan of the film one bit (as a film). And, I really don't like it's choice for a theme park land (not just because the film was bad, because even bad films can make for decent rides) but because I'm concerned about the ability for them to do it well and keep it maintained with high quality.

That being said, now that it's no longer in the realms of "rumor", and is a confirmed project, I will gladly withhold judgement until I can see it.

And, if Disney pulls it off, I'll be the first one to sing it's praises.

So...until 2017! <grin>

BigTxEars

I really don't want to see either at AK. But, I agree. Avatar feels like a shoehorn, but it at least consistent with Beastly Kingdomme. Star Wars wouldn't fit...at all. It belongs at Hollywood Studios though!

I'm not a fan of the film one bit (as a film). And, I really don't like it's choice for a theme park land (not just because the film was bad, because even bad films can make for decent rides) but because I'm concerned about the ability for them to do it well and keep it maintained with high quality.

That being said, now that it's no longer in the realms of "rumor", and is a confirmed project, I will gladly withhold judgement until I can see it.

And, if Disney pulls it off, I'll be the first one to sing it's praises.

So...until 2017! <grin>

Oh I agree DHS is a perfect park to push SW big in :)

I am not a big Avatar fan, I might not even see the sequels.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh I agree DHS is a perfect park to push SW big in :)

I am not a big Avatar fan, I might not even see the sequels.
I probably won't either. I think I'm one of the few who didn't see the first one in theaters. It wasn't until I picked it up on a DVD sale at target two years ago or so that I first saw it.

I love Sci Fi, but the trailers told me pretty much all I needed to know. And, it was pretty much what I expected. Ferngully in Space with hints of Dances With Wolves.

One thing that really annoyed me about the "world" he built is some of the laziness. I mean, really...they are going after "Unobtainium"?

Heh, I've read more innovative Star Wars fanfiction...

I mean, I understand he needed a MacGuffin...but at least he could have come up with something besides that. Unless he was trying to make a nod to Ringworld or something...?

Hobnail Boot

I probably won't either. I think I'm one of the few who didn't see the first one in theaters. It wasn't until I picked it up on a DVD sale at target two years ago or so that I first saw it.
I may have you beat. I knew of it when it was in theaters, but not a single person I know went and saw it so I paid no attention to it. I didn't even know it was making so much money. I just happened to see it on tv last year and was not impressed at all. Conservation or not, I still believe it is a ridiculous stretch as a fit in AK.

On Marvel, I really don't want to see it in WDW anyway so I'm indifferent on the rights issue.

BigTxEars

I love Sci Fi, but the trailers told me pretty much all I needed to know. And, it was pretty much what I expected. Ferngully in Space with hints of Dances With Wolves.

One thing that really annoyed me about the "world" he built is some of the laziness. I mean, really...they are going after "Unobtainium"?

Heh, I've read more innovative Star Wars fanfiction...

I mean, I understand he needed a MacGuffin...but at least he could have come up with something besides that. Unless he was trying to make a nod to Ringworld or something...?

I saw in the theater, by no means was it a bad movie it just did not capture my interest really. But I do think WDW can do great things with it at AK. I would much rather see some thing like Dinotopia though at AK :)

maxairmike

And the Disney Channel has taken to airing Despicable Me (a Universal film) on a fairly regular basis. Entertainment companies are notoriously incestuous, and your example is no different. Marvel is driving good merchandise sales with the movies (they do carry some movie-styled merch), and their license is likely relatively cheap given the situation Marvel was in when they did the deal.

FigmentJedi

And the Disney Channel has taken to airing Despicable Me (a Universal film) on a fairly regular basis. Entertainment companies are notoriously incestuous, and your example is no different. Marvel is driving good merchandise sales with the movies (they do carry some movie-styled merch), and their license is likely relatively cheap given the situation Marvel was in when they did the deal.
Of course Disney has aired non Disney stuff on Disney Channel since the old days. I remember Fern Gully, Son of Godzilla and the various Sesame Street movies (Follow that Bird and "80s Field Trip Specials") being featured on Disney Channel in the 90s.

Magenta Panther

I truly and most sincerely hope NOT. Terrible idea!! :eek:
I want the Marvel Super Heroes to stay right where they are, so that I can actually see them in my lifetime, unlike what would happen with a Disney acquisition.

I'd like them to stay in Universal and not soil the Disney parks with their presence.

Magenta Panther

Someone mentioned to me today that once Diagon Alley & the Citywalk expansion are completed Universal will begin focusing attention back on IOA. (Which was apparent anyway with King Kong heading that way.)

But what got my attention was when they said that Universal is anticipating that Disney will buyout the Marvel contract and already have plans in place to bring in DC Comics.

I'm not sure if I believe a word of it, especially because Six Flags has the rights to DC.

But then it was pointed out to me that Uni has been selling DC merch for quite sometime.:confused:

All this could mean we would possibly see Marvel hit Disney World after all.

Anyone heard anything about this?

*Not sure which thread this was appropriate for so feel free to move*

I call BS on this. Total BS. A dumb rumor at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom