Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

The Crafty Veteran

I don't see why Disney would have to give Universal a dime to get the rights back. Universal is completely limited in what they can do with the licence right now and can't put the Marvel characers in any other park but the second gate. Throw in the fact the character usage at IOA is that of the comic book versions and not the film versions which the current popularity is based on, I personally see Universal building something new instead of getting a buyout. And just what has Disney done with Marvel in their other parks? Nothing?

seascape

For those that weren't involved in the thread there was a lengthy discussion about section I the other day. All but one person in that discussion agreed that the first paragraph of section I is just a description of the project and is in no way legally binding. Uni could build a third gate without voiding the contract.
The original post was about would Disney buy the rights from Universal for just one city. The answer is no. You know if they had wanted to they would have done so by now. Marvel characters will not add to Disney attendance. They have star wars and Indiana Jones and lots of other characters they already have to use on rides and attractions. Universal on the other hand has paid a great deal for HP and no longer needs Marvel. The only question is how long universal still wants to pay Disney. This is not like a movie which is world wide. Disney gains nothing if they pay Universal other than the rights for ONE AND ONLY ONE park. Universal will eventually give them up.

PhotoDave219

I don't see why Disney would have to give Universal a dime to get the rights back. Universal is completely limited in what they can do with the licence right now and can't put the Marvel characers in any other park but the second gate. Throw in the fact the character usage at IOA is that of the comic book versions and not the film versions which the current popularity is based on, I personally see Universal building something new instead of getting a buyout. And just what has Disney done with Marvel in their other parks? Nothing?

You're not familiar with contracts and licensing, are you?

BigTxEars

As a DC fan myself, I would welcome Uni to get the rights and create some worthy attractions for the characters. Six Flags has disgraced the DC name, and lost a plentitude of chances to develop epic attractions surrounding the beloved names & stories. Instead of an epic adventure through Gotham City, we get a steel coaster painted grey with the Batman name slapped onto it. Same for Superman with red paint.
Uni, even though is notorious for going 3D-heavy in it's parks, would at least give the DC characters more immersive environments & attractions.

Ah no just when I was all set to disagree with you again I have to agree with you. :confused:

:)

I do agree Uni has the resources to do the DCU more justice with higher tech rides than Six Flags can. I am a fan of Six Flags but they simply do not have what Uni does to build rides. Not sure what they could do with Superman but a high tech Batman ride thru Gotham like you said would be awesome.

CDavid

While an appropriate discussion topic, nobody should harbor any illusions about Marvel and Walt Disney World.

Disney already has the rights to do whatever it wants with Star Wars, Cars, new nations in World Showcase, and dozens of other IP's and attraction concepts. But except for blue aliens and maybe a mistaken Frozen concept, they aren't doing a thing with any of them. Nada. Nothing.

If Disney had the rights to the Marvel characters in Florida - it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

PhotoDave219

Lets say for just one instant this has a shred of credibility. (It Doesn't)

In Orlando.....

Has Disney done anything with its Star Wars plans? No.

Has Disney done anything with its Pixar Place plans? No.

Has Disney done anything with Avatar plans? Yes, continued to scale them back.

So even for one minute, if Disney had Marvel rights in Orlando, you think they could do anything with them? Of course not. Right now, they collect royalties and percentages as stated in the contract above without having to spend a dime. Thats not going to change as long as everyone makes a lot of money.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Lets say for just one instant this has a shred of credibility. (It Doesn't)

In Orlando.....

Has Disney done anything with its Star Wars plans? No.

Has Disney done anything with its Pixar Place plans? No.

Has Disney done anything with Avatar plans? Yes, continued to scale them back.

So even for one minute, if Disney had Marvel rights in Orlando, you think they could do anything with them? Of course not. Right now, they collect royalties and percentages as stated in the contract above without having to spend a dime. Thats not going to change as long as everyone makes a lot of money.

Not to mention that fact that Disney has owned Marvel for almost five years now and what have we gotten so far at Disneyland? A couple meet and greets and exhibits.

Kman101

Disney can't even get on Star Wars and capitalize on that, yet they'd somehow do something with Marvel at WDW? LOL. That's funny.

Possible? Sure. Anything is possible. Likely? Doesn't seem that way. I think Universal could do DC a lot better than Six Flags, but I have no illusions that suddenly Disney has an interest in Marvel for WDW. I'd think Uni probably enjoys having the ability to prevent Disney from using Marvel in the Florida parks. I don't think Disney is losing much sleep over it at this point. Like I said, they can't even bother rushing Star Wars into a park that so badly needs it.

And as I posted before I saw Dave's post, he said it best, they don't use the properties they have very well as it is. Where's the Pixar presence aside from Toy Story in PIXAR PLACE? Seriously. It's becoming a joke. They sit on EVERYTHING because they're too financially afraid to spend a dime and take a 'risk'. It's maddening.

Do they even realize how impressive all four WDW parks could be if they just spent a little (to them) money? They'd be set for another 10 years of stagnation. LOL

PhotoDave219

I wonder if Universal only have the rights to the1960 / 1970 Clairmont designs of the characters and not the modern days look for them. Wolverine at universal is still in yellow and black costume while in the book he do not wear any costume. Captain America still have the original costume not the movie military look. Spider-Man is still in blue and red not blue and black of the superior Spider-Man .

Side note laugh: last week when I was at universal I found that they are selling both Marvel and Simpson comics over a year old but at the original Universal Studio park in a store on Hollywood street they are selling DC Batman and Star Wars that only a couple week old.

Please read the contract linked above.

In short? No. They are bound to a specific Marvel Character Style Guide.

MaryJaneP

Does anyone else think it would be a win-win for Disney to trade Avatar to Uni in exchange for Orlando Marvel rights. Then the AK expansion could be "repurposed". IOA could be "repurposed". Etc...

PhotoDave219

Does anyone else think it would be a win-win for Disney to trade Avatar to Uni in exchange for Orlando Marvel rights. Then the AK expansion could be "repurposed". IOA could be "repurposed". Etc...

That also wont work. Too much time and effort into Avatar.... plus its Iger's baby

The Crafty Veteran

The only reason I can ever see Disney spending money for the Florida theme park rights would be the perception of Universal harming the theme park brand by featuring the comic book characters instead of the film actors. In the comic Wolverine is around four feet tall and has bad body hair, I can honestly see people going to Universal and expecting a Hugh Jackman clone being tremendously disappointed. I would be.

PhotoDave219

The only reason I can ever see Disney spending money for the Florida theme park rights would be the perception of Universal harming the theme park brand by featuring the comic book characters instead of the film actors. In the comic Wolverine is around four feet tall and has bad body hair, I can honestly see people going to Universal and expecting a Hugh Jackman clone being tremendously disappointed. I would be.

Again. Per the contract, there is a Marvel Character style guide that Universal must adhere to

Disneyhead'71

I think there is always a chance a deal could be made between Uni and Disney. But that deal would never involve Universal giving up the Marvel rights.

Things like, Universal would let Disney build an Iron Man attraction in Animal Kingdom/World Showcase/Adventureland or what ever poorly chosen place Disney decides and Uni gets Uni park tickets and transportation options offered in WDTC packages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom