Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

Bpmorley

I'm pretty sure DME is not the only contract Mears has with the mouse. No responsible company is going to burn a bridge they don't have to just to get in a dig, business don't work like that
This is all based on DME going away. Do you know for a fact that there is another contract? Let's say there is no contract with WDW. Universal signs a contract with Mears and pays the to put universal on the side of all there buses. Disney can't do a thing about that.

I'm not saying it would be good business, just that there are things Disney doesn't have control over.

Last edited:

Bpmorley

Not true. You don't know whether Disney is negotiating a concession for Mears.
Also, disney is private property and exercises unparalleled control over their land. If they can trespass an individual for breaking wdw policy (not law) they can put the squeeze on Mears to not drive billboard advertisements for competitors through their land. it's not going to happen - and arguing against it is like arguing water isn't wet.
Yes they can do that. But unless they are paying for the ads, or removal of ads, they have no standing. Or they can chose to not allow Mears on certain roads of the property. Some of those roads are county maintained and Disney has no control of who can/cannot drive on them

JoeCamel

This is all based on DME going away. Do you know for a fact that there is another contract? Let's say there is no contract with WDW. Universal signs a contract with Mears and pays the to put universal on the side of all there buses. Disney can't do a thing about that.

I'm not saying it would be good business, just that there are things Disney doesn't have control over.
They have other contracts for other transport routes not a replacement for DME

scottieRoss

There are no roads in Walt Disney World that are county controlled.
RCID maintains and owns the majority of the roads, including all of the major transportation corridors except the state highways and interstate 4. Disney owns the roads that are within the resorts, the parking lots, that approach the themeparks and most of the backstage roads. RCID has a map showing which roads they own. The RCID roads could be used by Universal skinned busses, however, all they could do is crisscross the property. They could be tresspassed from entering the resorts. Not saying that is a good idea, but it is a possibility.
However, consider that Mears has contracts for the Disney Cruise shuttle, many private event transportation and other on-property shuttle needs. They would never want to lose those contracts just to take minor ad revenue for skinned busses. Other considerations could include does Mears want to be the "official transportation provider" for Walt Disney World such as has been done for stroller rental companies? Or does Mears want to license naming or advertising rights for their shuttle? Or does Mears want to be able to offer their shuttle as an add-on to vacation packages on the Disney website?
I think Universal skinned busses on Disney are just a fantasy.

Bpmorley

They have other contracts for other transport routes not a replacement for DME
I never said they didn't. But do I know for sure, no I don't. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a bad business move for mears to do that though. So Disney doesn't have a contract for DME anymore. Disney still wants people to get from the airport to the resort. Disney does not want to pay any money to mears to bring them. Universal pays and exorbitant amount of money to put it on every bus. What does disney do now???? this is all hypothetical as I don't know the ins and outs of all the transportation in the area. Does disney tell mears no buses with universal on them? or does mears take the universal money and not go to disney, leaving people stranded or paying bigger taxi and uber bills to get there? Thus creating more problems.

Bpmorley

RCID maintains and owns the majority of the roads, including all of the major transportation corridors except the state highways and interstate 4. Disney owns the roads that are within the resorts, the parking lots, that approach the themeparks and most of the backstage roads. RCID has a map showing which roads they own. The RCID roads could be used by Universal skinned busses, however, all they could do is crisscross the property. They could be tresspassed from entering the resorts. Not saying that is a good idea, but it is a possibility.
However, consider that Mears has contracts for the Disney Cruise shuttle, many private event transportation and other on-property shuttle needs. They would never want to lose those contracts just to take minor ad revenue for skinned busses. Other considerations could include does Mears want to be the "official transportation provider" for Walt Disney World such as has been done for stroller rental companies? Or does Mears want to license naming or advertising rights for their shuttle? Or does Mears want to be able to offer their shuttle as an add-on to vacation packages on the Disney website?
I never said they would want to lose any of those contracts, if in fact they have any. I don't know for sure.
I was sitting in a little irish bar just outside the east gate last time I was down there(march). Place is always filled with bus drivers, CMS, mid level managers, execs, etc... I was told that the larger road surrounding disney we county rtes, so disney couldn't deny anyone those. But yes they could keep buses out of resorts. If you remember bonnet creek won some kind of easement to build the entrance of their resort. One of the points was that the county maintained that road so disney couldnt' keep that resort from using it, even though it was on disney land. According to someone that works at Bonnet Creek, disney paid them to have disney themes on their shuttles to the TTC.
And it probably is a fantasy. But people were saying they would go after them in court. Personally I think they would just throw money at them.

Last edited:

PirateFrank

This!

UNCgolf

sorry for the tangential question - what about the Riviera breaks theming? (I've never been to the resort, so Im genuinely asking)

It's not really that it breaks theming; it's more that it doesn't really have one. It's almost indistinguishable from any number of upper middle class hotels scattered around the US beyond the Disney specific artwork.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure she was just making a joke.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
Well, as the original poster, it looks like I need to write my next exposé on what has happened to WDW since Bob Chapek took charge because this thread has ...

9E8D386C-FD29-4D6D-AE5C-A98A3293EE6D.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom