Understanding Why Disney's Magical Express Is Ending

Jenny72

It's also possible to think of this in slightly different terms: it doesn't have to just be about whether more or fewer people come, it's about good customer service. DME is good customer service (even if it isn't always perfect).

I realize that sounds naive. Yes, I realize that it's all about the benjamins, so to speak. But there are CEOs (probably a small number now) who would agree that keeping the focus on good customer service is a good business model. Not because they're pollyannas but because it's good financial business. As much as I loathe Amazon, it only grew to the (monstrous) behemoth it is today because it put aside short-term gains to focus on what customers want and what serves them best. The money eventually came (and boy did it ever).

Disney seems to have doubled down on a different approach, and that's why I think a lot of us are protesting about this change. It's not that we can't see the financial logic of it, it's that we fundamentally disagree on the best focus for the company long term.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah, but it still matters. It wasn't enough to stop me from going, but it really felt insulting to have to pay $150 for parking in lots that were 85-90% empty. Just because I can afford to pay it doesn't mean I want to throw money away.
This was exactly the sensation I had from my last WDW vacation... without even paying for parking and staying at the Grand Floridian!

I think there are plenty of us who will splurge on a trip to WDW and can afford to pay for a reasonably deluxe vacation experience. The issue comes when you begin to feel too obviously like you're being treated like a sucker and not being given anything like a deluxe experience.

As @ParentsOf4 has been saying, though, they've been fighting guests off in recent years. If Disney can eliminate services and raise prices with the end result being they achieve a level of occupancy they prefer, it's hard to really blame them.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
It's also possible to think of this in slightly different terms: it doesn't have to just be about whether more or fewer people come, it's about good customer service. DME is good customer service (even if it isn't always perfect).

I realize that sounds naive. Yes, I realize that it's all about the benjamins, so to speak. But there are CEOs (probably a small number now) who would agree that keeping the focus on good customer service is a good business model. Not because they're pollyannas but because it's good financial business. As much as I loathe Amazon, it only grew to the (monstrous) behemoth it is today because it put aside short-term gains to focus on what customers want and what serves them best. The money eventually came (and boy did it ever).

Disney seems to have doubled down on a different approach, and that's why I think a lot of us are protesting about this change. It's not that we can't see the financial logic of it, it's that we fundamentally disagree on the best focus for the company long term.
The Disney experience is what so many expect and have come to expect... My mother says, each time she goes she sees one less thing that she misses that added to her magical Disney experience.

So many people have built up desire to travel and get back to life before covid... For some getting away with limited things open or altered processes, they won't mind right now. They're happy to be someplace other than home and some place happy.

At what point will the chips be too much?

jt04

Dude, stop. You're in how many threads discussing trains and transportation.
Read the thread, stop ruining a discussion trying to prove a point about something this thread wasn't discussing.

Joking comments and banter are allowed and sometimes even encouraged. Please lighten up. It's Disney after all. 🎪

tpac24

Doesn't change what I said. They are slow in bringing things back cause people are ok with what they offer. Other parks have been doing nighttime shows for awhile. People are suckers for Disney and will accept what they offer.
And as one of those suckers I couldn't agree more! I say every darn time this is the straw and yet here I sit planning a Disneyland and Disneyworld trip for the upcoming year.

tpac24

The Disney experience is what so many expect and have come to expect... My mother says, each time she goes she sees one less thing that she misses that added to her magical Disney experience.

So many people have built up desire to travel and get back to life before covid... For some getting away with limited things open or altered processes, they won't mind right now. They're happy to be someplace other than home and some place happy.

At what point will the chips be too much?
Same and as silly as this sounds I was absolutely miffed this past trip a few weeks ago with something as simple as the removal of the Must Do channel and the fact that the channel was a running advertisement for ABC shows now.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Same and as silly as this sounds I was absolutely miffed this past trip a few weeks ago with something as simple as the removal of the Must Do channel and the fact that the channel was a running advertisement for ABC shows now.
Remy from Ratatouille not in Chef de France, was one the 1st things my mom noticed. A lot of extras taken away and not replaced, take away from an experience.
I didn't know the channel was removed... that's very sad.

bpiper

I think the reason why it was removed is that it includes stuff that they are not running right now. Instead of spending money editing it for what's running, (those people are probably on layoff anyway) they just removed it for now.

Yes, the Disney experience is so much more than riding rides. It's the exciting pre-trip package shipped to your home, the greeter at the hotel, the Disney music on the busses, the monorail entering the Contemporary, the Magic Band opening your hotel room door, the sight of Seven Seas Lagoon in the morning, the piña colada by the pool, the WDW Today channel, etc.

Of course, there are people who treat WDW like Six Flags and don't care about any of that stuff. But for the people who understand and appreciate the Disney *experience*, the loss of DME is a big disappointment.

Jenny72

That's what I'm wondering about. Don't they have people who manage the brand? The Disney brand is mainly: magic/family/fun. This damages all of them, primarily 'magic' and 'family' (because of the carseats issue). There are other changes they could make that might be irritating, but that don't really impact the brand much (price increases, for instance) but this one does. And they did it in a way that implies that they don't really care, which also runs against the brand. Did they lay off the brand management people?

UNCgolf

This was exactly the sensation I had from my last WDW vacation... without even paying for parking and staying at the Grand Floridian!

I think there are plenty of us who will splurge on a trip to WDW and can afford to pay for a reasonably deluxe vacation experience. The issue comes when you begin to feel too obviously like you're being treated like a sucker and not being given anything like a deluxe experience.

As @ParentsOf4 has been saying, though, they've been fighting guests off in recent years. If Disney can eliminate services and raise prices with the end result being they achieve a level of occupancy they prefer, it's hard to really blame them.

Indeed, which is something I mentioned in a discussion with Martin sometime in the last couple of weeks (it may have even been earlier in this thread).

I think it would be crazy for Disney to lower prices. They're already slammed; lowering prices would draw even more guests and make the overall experience that much worse.

Of course, what they should do is keep prices the same or raise them while also raising the overall level of quality -- that's the real issue; not the prices themselves. But since people are flocking to the parks with things the way they are now, there's no incentive for Disney to do so.

Lilofan

Yes, the Disney experience is so much more than riding rides. It's the exciting pre-trip package shipped to your home, the greeter at the hotel, the Disney music on the busses, the monorail entering the Contemporary, the Magic Band opening your hotel room door, the sight of Seven Seas Lagoon in the morning, the piña colada by the pool, the WDW Today channel, etc.

Of course, there are people who treat WDW like Six Flags and don't care about any of that stuff. But for the people who understand and appreciate the Disney *experience*, the loss of DME is a big disappointment.
We love the towel animals the housekeepers make and place them on our hotel room beds!

Parker in NYC

Indeed, which is something I mentioned in a discussion with Martin sometime in the last couple of weeks (it may have even been earlier in this thread).

I think it would be crazy for Disney to lower prices. They're already slammed; lowering prices would draw even more guests and make the overall experience that much worse.

Of course, what they should do is keep prices the same or raise them while also raising the overall level of quality -- that's the real issue; not the prices themselves. But since people are flocking to the parks with things the way they are now, there's no incentive for Disney to do so.
I think that even if the level of quality were to be restored (and that'll be the day), the prices are still ridiculous. But I think we've been so brainwashed into accepting them that "there's no turning back now...". The value argument that's happened off and on ever since discussion boards came into existence usually pivots on what something is worth to the buyer. If a $350 room at the (gasp) Caribbean Beach is a litmus test of the times, I'd hate to see how much those guests would drop for a loaf of bread.

UNCgolf

I think that even if the level of quality were to be restored (and that'll be the day), the prices are still ridiculous. But I think we've been so brainwashed into accepting them that "there's no turning back now...". The value argument that's happened off and on ever since discussion boards came into existence usually pivots on what something is worth to the buyer. If a $350 room at the (gasp) Caribbean Beach is a litmus test of the times, I'd hate to see how much those guests would drop for a loaf of bread.

My argument with regards to the price is simply a result of demand. The parks are already overly crowded at the current prices; they'd be unbearable if the price was significantly lower.

UNCgolf

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to question that at all.

And to be fair to Disney, I think that's partially to blame for the decline in quality (it's far from the only reason, of course). When the number of guests in the parks is double (if not more) what it was in the 1990s, that makes everything more difficult. Wear and tear happens faster, there's more trash to deal with, more food to cook (and to buy/supply to the food service department), etc. and there's only so much you can do to counteract it.

With that said, Disney could be doing a lot more than they are. They just don't see the need as long as people flock to WDW.

Parker in NYC

And to be fair to Disney, I think that's partially to blame for the decline in quality (it's far from the only reason, of course). When the number of guests in the parks is double (if not more) what it was in the 1990s, that makes everything more difficult. Wear and tear happens faster, there's more trash to deal with, more food to cook (and to buy/supply to the food service department), etc. and there's only so much you can do to counteract it.

With that said, Disney could be doing a lot more than they are. They just don't see the need as long as people flock to WDW.
A busy resort doesn't mean eliminating all of the things I listed earlier. Also, employees don't depreciate over time, even if fiberglass does. That made sense in my head at least. I mean, if they aren't treated/compensated well, that is. The employees, not the fiberglass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom